SL2 Availability

scott kirkpatrick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 minutes ago, Tony H said:

Hi 

I am in London UK, I have just bought my SL2 but I have been waiting six weeks for my 24 / 90 zoom.

The lens does not seem to be available.

Is anyone else having this problem?

On a dealer wait list, or did you check around?  A quick search of major US dealers shows lens  in stock, but can’t speak for your area.  When supplies tighten here, small dealers often have product when major dealers do not.

Jeff

32 minutes ago, Tony H said:

Hi 

I am in London UK, I have just bought my SL2 but I have been waiting six weeks for my 24 / 90 zoom.

The lens does not seem to be available.

Is anyone else having this problem?

I'm selling one here in the US and not getting any offers at around $4k USD. I'm being told that the market price for a used SL 24-90mm is around $3,500 USD. I don't intend to go that low.

Joe

49 minutes ago, Joe Colson said:

I'm selling one here in the US and not getting any offers at around $4k USD. I'm being told that the market price for a used SL 24-90mm is around $3,500 USD. I don't intend to go that low.

Joe

Hi Joe, I am interested in why you are selling it?

I am looking for a new one in fact.

Thanks, Tony

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

On a dealer wait list, or did you check around?  A quick search of major US dealers shows lens  in stock, but can’t speak for your area.  When supplies tighten here, small dealers often have product when major dealers do not.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

On a dealer list, it looks as though Leica UK may be playing a different game.

I have been buying from this small dealer for over thirty years and he can usually get anything but Leica seem to be starving him of product at the moment. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tony H said:

Hi Jeff,

On a dealer list, it looks as though Leica UK may be playing a different game.

I have been buying from this small dealer for over thirty years and he can usually get anything but Leica seem to be starving him of product at the moment. 

No arguing with loyalty and supporting your dealer.  But I bet you could find one soon otherwise if so inclined.

Jeff

14 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

No arguing with loyalty and supporting your dealer.  But I bet you could find one soon otherwise if so inclined.

Jeff

In California camera stores are almost non existent.  On a larger scale I went to a mall that had been very busy but now has many closed stores, so now I try to buy local and my loyalty lies in the community.  It's a changing world and we vote (not political vote) with our wallet.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 minutes ago, darylgo said:

In California camera stores are almost non existent.  On a larger scale I went to a mall that had been very busy but now has many closed stores, so now I try to buy local and my loyalty lies in the community.  It's a changing world and we vote (not political vote) with our wallet.  

I used to live in the Bay Area, and places like Keeble and Shuchat are indeed gone.  But there are still more choices locally there than I now have in my east coast city (no Leica dealers without 50 mi. drive out of state), so we each need to make choices.  I’ve established good relationships (by phone) with various dealers in other locations, including some rare, small independents.  Depends on what I’m buying/selling, and whether new or used.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

Jeff

This chap often has used cameras and lenses that look as though they have never been out of the box.

Of course the savings are really noticeable, so I buy my new gear from him too.

The current Covid-19 lockdowns or restrictions are making his life very difficult.

If I needed help I would expect someone to stand up for me so I am hanging in there for him, well for a day or two at least!

32 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

I used to live in the Bay Area, and places like Keeble and Shuchat are indeed gone.  But there are still more choices locally there than I now have in my east coast city (no Leica dealers without 50 mi. drive out of state), so we each need to make choices.  I’ve established good relationships (by phone) with various dealers in other locations, including some rare, small independents.  Depends on what I’m buying/selling, and whether new or used.

Jeff

I am surprised to hear that, we have at least four independent Leica dealers in London as well as the Leica store.

33 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Jeff

I live in the Bay Area (Silicon Valley), and my Leica store is 50mi away. I am missing Keeble + Shuchat, but I enjoy more visiting Camera West, Walnut Creek.

14 minutes ago, SrMi said:

I live in the Bay Area (Silicon Valley), and my Leica store is 50mi away. I am missing Keeble + Shuchat, but I enjoy more visiting Camera West, Walnut Creek.

Indeed, that’s why I responded to darylgo that there were still CA choices, at least in the northern region.  I used to shop Walnut Creek shops, too. Since moving east, I got a good deal at the Leica SF store on a like new demo Oberwerth bag, which I wouldn’t have otherwise considered price-wise, to handle the SL2 kit including the 90-280.  Same ownership as Camera West, btw.

Jeff

37 minutes ago, Tony H said:

I am surprised to hear that, we have at least four independent Leica dealers in London as well as the Leica store.

Big place, US, and Leica stores are spread out in major cities.  Many small independents have closed as the camera industry has shrunk.  And the ones that have survived, if they’re close to a Leica shop, don’t typically stock the line. It depends on the location and demographics, but your abundant London options are not at all typical here.  New York and surroundings is an exception.  I’m in the mid-Atlantic region, well south of NY. 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

2 hours ago, Tony H said:

Hi Joe, I am interested in why you are selling it?

I am looking for a new one in fact.

Thanks, Tony

Tony, I decided to exit the SL2 system after coming to grips with two realities. First was a bout of sciatica this summer that brought a dose of realism to the notion of my carrying around a heavy camera bag. Second is the prolonged and worsening COVID pandemic which will not allow me, at age 73, to travel safely until well into 2021. I managed to sell the kit in about 24 hours, with only the SL 24-90 remaining:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1671252/0#15394481

I loved the SL2 and all the Leica SL lenses. If I were 20 years younger, I'd have kept the kit.

Joe

10 hours ago, Joe Colson said:

Tony, I decided to exit the SL2 system after coming to grips with two realities. First was a bout of sciatica this summer that brought a dose of realism to the notion of my carrying around a heavy camera bag. Second is the prolonged and worsening COVID pandemic which will not allow me, at age 73, to travel safely until well into 2021. I managed to sell the kit in about 24 hours, with only the SL 24-90 remaining:

I loved the SL2 and all the Leica SL lenses. If I were 20 years younger, I'd have kept the kit.

Joe

Hi Joe

that is a pity and I am sorry to hear that.

Since you decided to part, good to see that they sold quickly, they remain super popular.

Did you keep your X1D or that is also gone and otherwise are you planning to replace the SL2?

Fedro

8 hours ago, Fedro said:

Hi Joe

that is a pity and I am sorry to hear that.

Since you decided to part, good to see that they sold quickly, they remain super popular.

Did you keep your X1D or that is also gone and otherwise are you planning to replace the SL2?

Fedro

Fedro,

Thanks for your kind message. At age 73, I just accept the realities of life and move on. Life is very short.

I'm keeping the X1D II and several X-series lenses because it's the most fun camera I've ever owned. It's also heavy, like the SL2, but I can carry it with one lens (like the 45P) easily and have a fun outing. Or I can shoot from a tripod when on car trips. The tonality and color IQ is better than any camera I've used, including the SL2.

I'll likely add a cheap, small, and lightweight 35mm mirrorless camera (with IBIS and fast AF) for casual shooting (family events, walk-around, etc.) when I'm not planning to shoot from a tripod.

Stay safe and be well,

Joe

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Joe Colson said:

Fedro,

Thanks for your kind message. At age 73, I just accept the realities of life and move on. Life is very short.

I'm keeping the X1D II and several X-series lenses because it's the most fun camera I've ever owned. It's also heavy, like the SL2, but I can carry it with one lens (like the 45P) easily and have a fun outing. Or I can shoot from a tripod when on car trips. The tonality and color IQ is better than any camera I've used, including the SL2.

I'll likely add a cheap, small, and lightweight 35mm mirrorless camera (with IBIS and fast AF) for casual shooting (family events, walk-around, etc.) when I'm not planning to shoot from a tripod.

Stay safe and be well,

Joe

Joe ,

Sorry to hear you had to sell those great SL lens you bought from me. As you recall, I sold them for the same reason. Too heavy for my 71 year old body. I have my X1D kit which I can easily tote around. FWIW, I also have the Nikon Z7 which is very light and gives excellent results. 

14 minutes ago, Bill W said:

Joe ,

Sorry to hear you had to sell those great SL lens you bought from me. As you recall, I sold them for the same reason. Too heavy for my 71 year old body. I have my X1D kit which I can easily tote around. FWIW, I also have the Nikon Z7 which is very light and gives excellent results. 

Thanks Bill. We both gave it a good shot. I've got some wonderful photos (some of which are on my website) and good memories from using the SL system. For younger, more robust shooters, I highly recommend it. Stay safe and be well,

Joe

20 hours ago, Joe Colson said:

Joe

Hi Joe,

You are asking a fair price but after tax and shipping it would be the same price as new here in the UK.

Leica currently have a deal where you save £500 ($660) if you buy a SL2 and a lens at the same time.

However, rather stupidly, they cannot honour the deal as they have NO 24-90mm lenses in the UK.

Except one at the Leica store which they will only sell at full price not in the deal.

They need to make it much clearer what the relationship is between Leica GMBH and the Leica stores as they seem to use the factory to undermine the independent stores

who have been selling me cameras long before the Leica store appeared here in London.

Just a warning to all fellow Leica lovers her in the UK;

Leica currently have a deal where you save £500 ($660) if you buy a SL2 and a lens at the same time.

However, rather stupidly, they cannot honour the deal as they have NO 24-90mm lenses in the UK.

That is except one at the Leica store which they will only sell at full price not in the deal.

Leica keep promising delivery of these lenses and offering delivery dates, originally I was told end of October, then early November now beginning of December.

I am not impressed, so I have a new SL2 but no native lenses for it.

How would you feel?

•  

3 hours ago, Joe Colson said:

Fedro,

Stay safe and be well,

Joe

Hi Joe

thank you for your thoughtful reply. 

Sounds like you took the right decisions, but I will miss seeing all those lovely bird pictures on the feed here.

Stay safe and happy shooting with the X1D, which, as you know, I also own and adore.

Fedro