SL2 Availability

scott kirkpatrick

1 hour ago, RonnieW said:

I was notified that it was awaiting shipping. Don't know how long it will be before they can do it. From earlier postings, the NJ facilities have shut down. Does anyone know whether that includes the shipping dept?

Watch for the invoice and the shipping notice.  B&H, Amazon, Popflash and others are shipping goods since that can be done with quite adequate distancing.

19 minutes ago, MMCH said:

Here is a posting from rangefinder, a dealer in HK. Makes sense given lockdown orders.

https://www.facebook.com/490033344340615/posts/3279103875433534/

Hard to trust a source that misinterprets the ‘Headquarters’ announced closing on March 23.  That was in fact the NJ corporate offices, along with NJ Service and the US Online Store (the Store has since been reopened).  This was announced by Roger Horn, President of Leica US.  I received his email just prior to the closings.  

I have not seen any similar announcement regarding Wetzlar facilities, on the Leica site or elsewhere, although it’s certainly possible that occurred; hence my request for a link to a formal announcement.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

Fair enough. But two Leica store dealers confirmed that production is shutting down. Makes sense given the lockdown.  Can’t imagine a camera manufacturing is an essential business 

Edited by MMCH

MMCH,  Leica, Germany normally shuts down in March/April for 30 day inventory.  Does this every year.  One of my dealer's stores just got 6 SL2s and were immediately sent out to those on the waiting list.   r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 1

FWIW…

I sent my Leica SL Typ-601 and Summicron-M 35mm ASPH in for repairs/ servicing to Leica Australia at the beginning of March 2020.  After an initial confirmation from them that they received the equipment, I heard nothing.  At the end of March I sent them a note asking for any news (fully aware that the global pandemic is going to have an impact).  Received the following reply (dated 31 March 2020):

Yes, unfortunately we've just been notified that due to the COVID situation, Customer care centre in Germany has now been closed until further advised.

I don't know how this affects production, but looks like Leica Germany has gone into hibernation.

• Thanks 1

Leica online store in the UK is fulfilling orders even though the retail store is closed.  Still showing SL2 shipping in 2-3 business days.  Same delivery for SL Summicron 35 and 50 lenses.  Of course, it may not have been updated but still worth checking out to see if they have stock.

Edited by T25UFO

Every two weeks I look forward to getting another email from B&H telling me that the SL2 is not in stock but they are trying...

This week, the email says that are in stock, so the wait list must finally have cleared.

Go for it!  (I have had mine since last December.)