SL2 Availability

scott kirkpatrick

• 2 weeks later...

SL2 at B&H has read "Coming Soon" for quite a while now. 

But, maybe it really will be pretty soon now. 

Also waiting on a Fujifilm GF 45-100mm, pre-ordered practically the moment it was possible to do so. That's supposed to start shipping 2/27. 

I want patience, and I want it now...

Just out of curiousity, I asked B&H to send me an alert when the SL2 was in stock.  Back in November.  Every two weeks since then, i have heard from them, saying how sorry they are that it still is not available...  I don't think that is the way to get near the head of the line.

vor 18 Stunden schrieb Jk1002:

Leica Nuernberg has stock for a while now so am guessing supply is slowly catching up.

Cheers

JK

So does Fotomax.  It must be a Nuernberg thing (their Berlin store doesn't have any).  Could be that they fell off the back of a lorry as it was passing there. 😁

https://www.fotomax.de/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=Leica+sl2

On 2/21/2020 at 9:37 PM, intermediatic said:

Harsh news, my friends. There are parts in this camera made in China and Leica is running out of those parts. You can't blame them for outsourcing stuff like the wifi and bluetooth. If you don't get yours soon, there may be quite the wait. I'm glad I got mine. 

Is there a source for this news, or is it speculation? The reason I ask is because parts like RF chipsets are usually purchased in large batches, so I am surprised that Leica's stock-on-hand should be so closely tied the the morning newspaper's headlines. Other electronics manufacturers have reported minimal disruptions so far.

I've found the Nuremberg Leica dealers to be responsive to email inquiries, and ready to sell and ship.

For those of us in the USA, at the present moment (and subject to rapid change), arranging a direct import from a German dealer looks like one way to get hold of an SL2 comparatively quickly. If one is willing to jump through the hoops, I think it would be possible to find, order, and have one shipped across the pond fairly quickly.

All that said, after pursuing possibilities along multiple lines and waiting on multiple waiting lists, I did find a new SL2 in the USA (from a person who, I think, did exactly what I described above), at a price that, while slightly inflated, wasn't as preposterous as some of the prices I've seen, for example, "slightly used" cameras (sometimes described initially as "Open Box") at a $1000 markup over a new, sealed SL2 from a dealer.

This pricing nonsense won't last. Folks are just trying to "make hay while the sun shines". It's up to each purchasing individual to determine his or her correct balance point between patience and desire, tolerating the wait, or expediting closure.

After placing the order, I circled back and took my name off of several waiting lists. Hopefully this may have bumped a person or two from this forum up on those lists - unless everyone was ahead of me already!

One of the dealers asked me, "Don't you want to know how soon it's going to come in before you take your name off the list?" I declined, not being in the mood to obtain, pay sales taxes, then turn around and sell, pack, and ship, especially with one already on the way with a know arrival date. But I mention it just in case someone would want to know. It felt as if I was being teased, that the wait might not be as long as one might think. I hope so. I'm not trying to feed the rumor mill, just thinking that if I was still waiting I'd want to hear clues like that, just to ensure that I could effectively divert myself with self-torture during the wait.

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the Nuremberg dealers have been replenished, that this isn't their original stock still sitting around,. This gives me the sense that things are moving, that this was simply a classic supply chain story of initial stock selling and then waiting for the second or third wave of supply to catch up with demand.

Good luck and best wishes!

Hektor

4 hours ago, HektorElmar said:

I've found the Nuremberg Leica dealers to be responsive to email inquiries, and ready to sell and ship.

For those of us in the USA, at the present moment (and subject to rapid change), arranging a direct import from a German dealer looks like one way to get hold of an SL2 comparatively quickly. If one is willing to jump through the hoops, I think it would be possible to find, order, and have one shipped across the pond fairly quickly.

All that said, after pursuing possibilities along multiple lines and waiting on multiple waiting lists, I did find a new SL2 in the USA (from a person who, I think, did exactly what I described above), at a price that, while slightly inflated, wasn't as preposterous as some of the prices I've seen, for example, "slightly used" cameras (sometimes described initially as "Open Box") at a $1000 markup over a new, sealed SL2 from a dealer.

This pricing nonsense won't last. Folks are just trying to "make hay while the sun shines". It's up to each purchasing individual to determine his or her correct balance point between patience and desire, tolerating the wait, or expediting closure.

After placing the order, I circled back and took my name off of several waiting lists. Hopefully this may have bumped a person or two from this forum up on those lists - unless everyone was ahead of me already!

One of the dealers asked me, "Don't you want to know how soon it's going to come in before you take your name off the list?" I declined, not being in the mood to obtain, pay sales taxes, then turn around and sell, pack, and ship, especially with one already on the way with a know arrival date. But I mention it just in case someone would want to know. It felt as if I was being teased, that the wait might not be as long as one might think. I hope so. I'm not trying to feed the rumor mill, just thinking that if I was still waiting I'd want to hear clues like that, just to ensure that I could effectively divert myself with self-torture during the wait.

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the Nuremberg dealers have been replenished, that this isn't their original stock still sitting around,. This gives me the sense that things are moving, that this was simply a classic supply chain story of initial stock selling and then waiting for the second or third wave of supply to catch up with demand.

Good luck and best wishes!

Hektor

Can you imagine what it’s like to be one of the multiple dealers you ordered with, finding out that your order wasn’t worth a penny? It certainly doesn’t help their bottom line! But hey, whatever you need to get your camera. 

2 hours ago, Lew said:

Is Leica USA a single location? Where?

There's the Leica online store where they just pop up - https://www.leicacamerausa.com/leica-sl2.html

You need to constantly monitor it as they come and go very quickly. I bought mine from there last December as I just happened to be online when two became available. They were gone within 30 minutes.

I've still not heard from Leica Boston from when I was supposedly put on a list last November.

7 hours ago, wellfleet said:

There's the Leica online store where they just pop up - https://www.leicacamerausa.com/leica-sl2.html

You need to constantly monitor it as they come and go very quickly. I bought mine from there last December as I just happened to be online when two became available. They were gone within 30 minutes.

I've still not heard from Leica Boston from when I was supposedly put on a list last November.

Yes, like a lottery. Bought my first one on the site back in November. Was surfing around the net yesterday while talking a telephone call and saw that one was in stock. Happy camper. Never have heard from my dealer. One thing too, some dealers like B&H have started to charge sales tax on out-of-state purchases (Supreme Court opinion). No tax charged on my order.

Edited by John Smith