scott kirkpatrick

SL2 Availability

vor 9 Stunden schrieb JeffWright:

Don't feel bad, the currently shipping SL2 is still a beta test IMHO. 

Beta Test for body or beta test for firmware?

What‘s your assessment?

Jochen

Look at smaller dealers.  There’s one available right now from one.  They usually ship internationally. 

8 hours ago, spassig123 said:

What‘s your assessment?

Jochen

Firmware.  Once the body ships, it is fixed.  And firmware takes time.  The Sl saw major changes in release 3.n, most of which are incorporated in 1.0 of the SL2.  But there are promised functions that didn't get finished in time for shipment, and things that work strangely or not at all, especially when you interact with the camera over FOTOS, which is supposed to be a mainstream Leica standard-bearer...

5 hours ago, Chaemono said:

Look at smaller dealers.  There’s one available right now from one.  They usually ship internationally. 

In the US, this tactic is not quite as effective as in the past as small, lesser known dealers where I’ve had past success have no SL2s and few lenses. The priority seems to be through the Leica site and Leica Stores, as expected, but even many of them haven’t seen much SL system product in weeks.  Maybe the tariff situation has screwed things up. Still a good strategy, but much tougher for now anyway than other recent releases.  I secured 3 SL lenses at now great prices, but still waiting (next in line) for the body from a small dealer.  I don’t look outside the US, though, preferring domestic relationships.

Jeff

12 hours ago, spassig123 said:

What‘s your assessment?

Jochen

Firmware. And Leica FOTOS app. Lots of missing features in firmware- like no proper preview in photo mode (no depth of field preview), no support for linear focus ring control, missing multishot functionality to name the most obvious features promised but undelivered.

The FOTOS app is a huge improvement over the prior implementation, but remains inconsistent in making phone to camera connections, and for bizarre reasons changes the mode of the camera to Program mode.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

45 minutes ago, JeffWright said:

Firmware. And Leica FOTOS app. Lots of missing features in firmware- like no proper preview in photo mode (no depth of field preview), no support for linear focus ring control, missing multishot functionality to name the most obvious features promised but undelivered.

The FOTOS app is a huge improvement over the prior implementation, but remains inconsistent in making phone to camera connections, and for bizarre reasons changes the mode of the camera to Program mode.

To be fair to Leica, they said at the launch that certain features would be delivered in a future firmware release, features that are typically not part of every camera. The lack of depth-of-field preview was a miscalculation on Leica's side based on the feedback that they received: many photographers did not use it on SL (source: German LUF). 

I do not want to comment on the FOTOS app since its issues are not specific to SL2.

On 11/18/2019 at 4:38 AM, scott kirkpatrick said:

pre-embargo? A joke, right?

No joke.  In early November, when the camera was announced finally -- Celebrities and YouTube testers had all been very publically invited to Wetzlar a month earlier, Leica Stores in several cities held pre-announcement showings -- there was an embargo placed upon actually handing over any cameras to purchasers for two more weeks.  In the public press, it was stated that the SL2 would start shipping Nov 23, but some shops already had cameras two weeks earlier and received this "embargo" notice..

I’ll probably get mod’d for writing something this critical but as of this writing there is one at Mr. Porter, which says a lot about what Leica has become. I had never thought I’d buy another Leica after it decided it would rather woo rap stars  and other people with massive disposable incomes who would prefer to use their cameras as fashion accessories rather than actual photographers, but the SL2 won me over. Still, it peeves me that camera stores don’t have them but fashion stores do. Lunatics. 

I won’t be buying one from a clothing store, thank you very much. I’ll keep my order in with my local camera shop. 

Edited by intermediatic

Good news! Just got a call from my Leica dealer that my SL2 paid for on Dec. 22nd has arrived and I will be picking up tomorrow.

Expecting the SL 35mm F2 ordered and paid for at the same time within 2 weeks or so.

Woo-Hoo!!

A bundle came in with the same lens I bought used so I upgraded with a little cash and brought it home. Too exhausted after the drive back from the city in stop and go/accident weather to try it out. Looking forward to it.

Edited by intermediatic