SL2 Availability

scott kirkpatrick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

58 minutes ago, setuporg said:

There was one on Popflash yesterday!

That's interesting, because I've been in touch with Alex over 4 days this past week on other matters and they had a wait list of over 50 with no idea when they'd receive any. Did you actually click on the SL2 link which shows there is no stock and that you need to email them?

Thanks to posts that have encouraged vigilance on the Leica USA online website...  just ordered mine and have it confirmed for shipping.

Having done my due diligence with a LensRentals body and decided to buy an SL2 for my M and R glass, I called US dealers and then checked the Leica USA online site most days for two weeks.

One popped up this afternoon at Leica USA, and I wasted no time. It is interesting to me that with the SL2, Leica has trickled out bodies pretty thoroughly via its proprietary channels, whereas my normal sources in Hong Kong and the Netherlands are still waiting.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2019 at 6:32 PM, chasmid said:

Ordered mine from B&H on 11/10, 3PM PST. May I ask when you ordered your camera (date / time)? I'm afraid I'll be on the waiting list for a few months.

I can't recall when I ordered, but it was a few days after it was released. I expected to wait longer. 

Ordered my SL2 with SL 35mm on the Dec. 22nd at local Leica dealer (Boutique).

Just spoke to dealer for update and was told Leica has been shut down for 3 weeks, credit card charged full price back on the 22nd.  

Disappointing conversation today.

Yesterday one popped up out of the blue on eBay and I purchased it. I'm really curious to try this camera.

I'll use it for a couple of weeks and case I'm disappointed or realize that the SL2 is not for me, I'll sell it here through the forum, in case anyone is interested.

Now I need to get a lens to try AF... 

A bit off-topic, but is there any release date for the Sigma 24-70? I know it got delayed

What did you pay for the one you bought on eBay? I see on SL2  is still for sale on eBay for $7,899.- and I am not going there. Still waiting for my dealer, Kenmore Camera, to get one as I am next in line.

I also noticed that Glazer Camera in Seattle had a 90-280 for $6,395.- and I were thinking of going in to do a trade and get it right over the holidays. Checked their web page on December 31st and it was still available. Got back online on January 2nd and now the price had jumped to $7,095.- which it still is as of this writing. Looks like they just hiked the price over night on existing inventory. Not happy about this so I ordered one for $6,395.- from B&H, got it and now B&H are out of stock as of this writing.

This really tick me off as I like to support local dealers, but that kind of behavior do not sit well with me.

1 hour ago, Simone_DF said:

6000€ with shipping included. 

Not at all bad, considering that Leica USA on-line charged me US$6,500 including all taxes and slow shipping.

I just got mine on Monday, but the production date was November 12, 2109 (2019/12/11 on birth certificate). Slow distribution, or maybe someone in Allendale misplaced a box in November?

4 minutes ago, Jonathan Levin said:

Maybe it’s just me , but I’d never consider buying something on ebay that is hard to procure using standard dealer channels. Just seems to soon and to scary. 

Keep in mind that some reputable dealers advertise items both from their own site as well as eBay.  Popflash, for instance,  does this, which helped expedite the sale of  some Leica products that I consigned.  One should of course be careful to check the seller.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jonathan Levin said:

Maybe it’s just me , but I’d never consider buying something on ebay that is hard to procure using standard dealer channels. Just seems to soon and to scary. 

Yes and no, there's always a risk.  However  if you use eBay carefully, i.e. check seller ratings, anything under 99% is a no-no for me, check feedback profiles, and always pay with Paypal, then you should be pretty much OK.  Over the past 13 years I've bought mainly old lenses on eBay, even from far flung places Ukraine, Turkey and never had an issue. 

On the other hand, IMO selling on eBay is far riskier. I wouldn't take the risk of shipping a lens and then have the buyer come back and say it was broken, or there was no lens in the box but only 1/2 a  brick....this has happened to a friend who sold a Leica lens on eBay 😡.  The buyer has more protection than the seller.