SL2 Availability

scott kirkpatrick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/14/2019 at 6:26 AM, Exodies said:

My preordered SL2 arrived at my dealer yesterday. Felt very light carrying it home. Very heavy with the 24-90 zoom mounted.

I had the same impression when I held the SL2 for the first time. I think Leica has engineered some secret anti-gravity tech into the SL2. It feels amazing to hold and use. The only thing I can't seem to get over is the location of the on/off switch - completely changes how I have to hold a camera to switch it on.

vor 40 Minuten schrieb sagarwal:

I think Leica has engineered some secret anti-gravity tech into the SL2.

No secret anti-gravity tech.  There must be a reason the helium price is going through the roof: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49715838.  Apparently manufacturers have started to infuse this monoatomic gas into their cameras before weather sealing them.  The SL2’s state of the art weather sealing means it retains more helium than other bodies.  That’s why it feels so light. 

Edited by Chaemono
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Chaemono said:

The SL2’s state of the art weather sealing means it retains more helium than other bodies. 

And selling with a lens in a kit means the lens comes attached to the SL2, slowing the helium loss even more. This sounds more plausible than the anti-gravity tech to me.

• Like 1

for sl2 buyers looking at lenses, there appears to be an uneven application of the u.s. import duties.  the sl summilux 50mm f/1.4 is listed in the online leica store (u.s.) for $5,295, while b&h has it listed for $5,895. 

Edited by jcbjr

17 minutes ago, jcbjr said:

for sl buyers looking at lenses, there appears to be an uneven application of the u.s. import duties.  the sl summilux 50mm f/1.4 is listed in the online leica store (u.s.) for $5,295, while b&h has it listed for $5,895. 

It could mean that B&H had to order more after the tariffs kicked-in whereas the Leica store still had them in stock. Stores that still have stock pre-tariffs won't be raising the price until they have to re-order under the tariff pricing.

You might want to peruse this thread - 

BTW, Adorama is still showing it $5295.

Edited by wellfleet

Collected from my dealer, Kameraz in Johannesburg this morning. Just in time for 2 upcoming safaris to Botswana & Tanzania.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

After reading setuporg's, see above, prais of K&M Camera in New York I went online and ordered a SL2. Big mistake even though their webpage say "Buy Now" and during checkout you get to choose shipping method, no mention of out of stock or backordered. Email with order being processed arrived shortly after I had placed the order with promise of confirmation as soon as item is on its way.

I just got of the phone with the store as no-one answered on the online store extension. They told me that no stock in store or online and no indication of when. Why would a serious dealer have this kind of system, what is there to gain, you lost me and I waisted a lot of time for nothing.

It might be a good store to walk in to, but be warned about online shopping at K&M.

Thanks.

Helge Pedersen

3 hours ago, GlobeRiders said:

After reading setuporg's, see above, prais of K&M Camera in New York I went online and ordered a SL2. Big mistake even though their webpage say "Buy Now" and during checkout you get to choose shipping method, no mention of out of stock or backordered. Email with order being processed arrived shortly after I had placed the order with promise of confirmation as soon as item is on its way.

I just got of the phone with the store as no-one answered on the online store extension. They told me that no stock in store or online and no indication of when. Why would a serious dealer have this kind of system, what is there to gain, you lost me and I waisted a lot of time for nothing.

It might be a good store to walk in to, but be warned about online shopping at K&M.

Thanks.

Helge Pedersen

They're not the only one that does this. Berger Bros. in New York pulled the same thing on me and put a "pending" $5999.99 charge on my credit card, which limited my available credit by that same amount. It took me a week and half plus three or four phone calls to get them to remove it, as my credit card company couldn't do anything about a "pending" charge. Luckily I found a SL2 thru the Leica Online Store.

@GlobeRiders, sorry about your experience.  I've never heard about K&M until I saw them on eBay and then checked the site direct.  Placed the order on Friday, called on Monday to confirm and they said it is in stock and shipping and shipped the same afternoon.  I know about the possibility of in-stock being incorrect and hence called to make sure.  Should have called first of course...  It does look like a simpler setup though, so good to know!

K&M will show a product that has been released by the manufacturer always as 'Available Now!'  This is, unfortunately, not synonymous with 'In Stock!'  They entice buyers this way to enter their payment details and place an order even if they don't have any product in stock.  It's totally unfair to other vendors. 

Right. 😂

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

@Chaemono you are absolutelly correct and now I am being held hostage by K&M for a pending transaction of $6,000+ with no responds from the vendor to remove this as of yet.I am not a lawyer and nor do I have a lot of experience in this kind of business practice, but perhaps someone else has and can give advice on what to do next?

I feel that this is a form of entrapment and theft of my funds by locking up my credit of $6,000.- for an unspecified period of time. What if my local dealer called and offered a new SL2 tomorrow?

Very sad that these shops like Berger Gross and K&M, both in New York, can get away with this, so much wasted time and effort for us customers. Hopefully this can help some others to think twice next time you click the button Buy Now, I will for sure.

Happy Holidays