kengai

differences between Summicron 35 "king of bokeh" and Summicron ASPH

He’s a very reputable guy. He’s a coauthor of Cavina. In Italy, there are a few of very experts about Leica. Some of these say that numbers of Erwin Puts are not always correct. 
In any case there’s no contradiction about this point. 
Germany (new model ) : From 339xxxxx 
Canada (new model) : From 341xxx 
Just check your serial and nationality and you understand if a newer model or not. 
For example I have a Canada 341185xx 

in-fact it’s a model with frontal ring in metal. 

Edited by Sergius

47 minutes ago, Sergius said:

He’s a very reputable guy. He’s a coauthor of Cavina. In Italy, there are a few of very experts about Leica. Some of these say that numbers of Erwin Puts are not always correct. 
In any case there’s no contradiction about this point. 
Germany (new model ) : From 339xxxxx 
Canada (new model) : From 341xxx  [...]

I sympathise with what you say Sergius but this would mean than more than the half of the total production would be a newer model since 1986 which i feel difficult to believe but i may be wrong :cool:

43 minutes ago, lct said:

I sympathise with what you say Sergius but this would mean than more than the half of the total production would be a newer model since 1986 which i feel difficult to believe but i may be wrong :cool:

I don't know lct.... I'don't know the volume of production. But in my experience I can say It's correct (if you want a "newer" model ) this classification. You can simply check the serial number and see the material of frontal ring.

An another trick is the weight of lens (only for the black one, of course) It's passed from 150 gr. to 200 gr. 

On 12/24/2019 at 1:38 AM, Sergius said:

An another trick is the weight of lens (only for the black one, of course) It's passed from 150 gr. to 200 gr.

Problem is my German copy from 1991 (3553*** above) weighs 156g. Mystery thickens...

2 minutes ago, lct said:

Problem is my German copy from 1991 (3553*** above) weighs 156g. Mystery thickens...

Your scale is ok ? Did you weigh the old one Canada ?  

45 minutes ago, lct said:

Don't worry Lct, your copy is not "plastic inside", if 156g is without cap or hood, that is the "good one" in my experiences.

In last decades, I had in my hand maybe dozen of Summicron 35mm IV, old aborted project to make kind of statistics of renderings.

Those were Wetzlar or Canada made , as I've found and the best ways to find out which " plastic" which "non plastic" :

- at front the ring is larger and colored in "brownish plastic" that one is "plastic inside",

Lct your copy is "solid" metallic front ring with serial number and E39 is one of the non-plastic unit

compare also the 2 slots for tools in this front ring

- second evidence weight : 130-135g = "plastic inside" and my non plastic units weight 150-155g

"Plastic-inside" looks like this one

No plastic inside, Germany (one that I sold some time ago)

Edited by a.noctilux

8 minutes ago, Sergius said:

Your scale is ok ? Did you weigh the old one Canada ?  

The scale is OK but i have not my Canadian copy on hand so i cannot compare the color of what you call the front ring. Last time i checked it weighed about 150g if memory serves. 

3 minutes ago, lct said:

I can't seem to view your pic Arnaud. 

Don't worry Ict.... You 35xxxxx has the metal ring for sure.

ID ring.

"plastic inside" is surrounded by "plastic gray/brown larger ring"

While

On the other type, the ID ring "non plastic one" has flatter slots surrounded by thinner ring.

Edited by a.noctilux

8 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

"plastic inside" is surrounded by "plastic gray/brown larger ring"

Got it thank you. I thought some inner plastic parts were visible through the glass.

8 hours ago, lct said:

OK thanks but the plastic parts Marco Cavina refers to look different. In red in the graph below. 

Interesting technical drawing, thanks lct.

We can see here clearly the plastic parts and relation of the front plastic part inside.

I'd like to see the non-plastic "same" technical drawing 😎

35 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Interesting technical drawing, thanks lct.

Comes from my link to Marco Cavina's article here:

On 11/18/2019 at 5:29 PM, adan said:

A different example of v.4 bokeh at f/2 (digital, M9). In this case I found it quite brilliant, interesting and effective.

I know most people don't but I actually love that bokeh, it's unlike that of other lenses I've used and that's why I love my copy of the v4.  I'd like to know whether other lenses have that same characteristic.