SL2 Questions

Tragg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have another question, out of topic, but if this thread could answer all of the questions we might have... 😎

I noticed something very strange on the SL2, if someone could test it on another camera...

Set AFs, Focus picking on.

Landscape mode, half press the shutter button. You should see the red (or any other color you've decided on) of the focus picking showing you what could be pithing the focusing range for that aperture. Now WITHOUT REALISING the shutter button, switch to portrait mode by simply turning the camera. 

Do you get the same focus peaking zones in the EVF ? I don't.

The SL2's files DNG files are not self-contained, it seems.  Lightroom does not yet recognise the SL lenses and apply the requisite corrections.  (The corrections are applied automatically on the SL / S1R, etc.)  So the DNG files don't seem to contain the necessary correction information.

A separate topic: is high or low focus peaking more effective?

What is the difference between standard and natural film styles?

1 hour ago, jrp said:

The SL2's files DNG files are not self-contained, it seems.  Lightroom does not yet recognise the SL lenses and apply the requisite corrections.  (The corrections are applied automatically on the SL / S1R, etc.)  So the DNG files don't seem to contain the necessary correction information.

A separate topic: is high or low focus peaking more effective?

What is the difference between standard and natural film styles?

Which Lightroom are you using? After loading an SL2 image, LR 9.0 reports that a Built-in Lens Profile was applied. Adobe says that latest Camera Raw has preliminary SL2 support.

On 12/1/2019 at 6:58 PM, snooper said:

I have another question, out of topic, but if this thread could answer all of the questions we might have... 😎

I noticed something very strange on the SL2, if someone could test it on another camera...

Set AFs, Focus picking on.

Landscape mode, half press the shutter button. You should see the red (or any other color you've decided on) of the focus picking showing you what could be pithing the focusing range for that aperture. Now WITHOUT REALISING the shutter button, switch to portrait mode by simply turning the camera. 

Do you get the same focus peaking zones in the EVF ? I don't.

You are suggesting that the focus peaking, which highlights the areas of maximum sharpness, is taking its derivatives along a horizontal (or vertical) axis only, and when the camera is rotated, switches to using the vertical (or horizontal) axis instead?  I would test for this in MF just to eliminate any distractions.

What I noticed - and that might be related to the landscape I'm shooting - is that you'd have much more focus peaking info in portrait mode than in landscape mode for a given same scene,, same settings (without releasing the half pressed shutter button). Needs to be confirmed by some other users though.

5 hours ago, snooper said:

What I noticed - and that might be related to the landscape I'm shooting - is that you'd have much more focus peaking info in portrait mode than in landscape mode for a given same scene,, same settings (without releasing the half pressed shutter button). Needs to be confirmed by some other users though.

But why wouldn't you just release the shutter, reframe and half press the shutter again to be certain you have the correct focus? Unless I'm missing something your never going to be in focus with your technique.

Regardless, I just tried what you suggested and I don't see any problem.

never mind, I see you meant Focus Peaking, not focus picking...yes it is odd they way focus peaking appears, but still don't see an issue. You really don't want to reframe the camera after focusing anyway.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, snooper said:

This appears to be entirely dependent on the subject matter and the preponderance of horizontals and verticals in the in focus part of the scene..... in some portrait shows up more focus points, in some landscape does. Either way it works fine, although possibly not as well as on the S1R. 

On 11/29/2019 at 6:26 PM, wjdrijfhout said:

Keep the video-button pressed for a while and you get a whole list of functions you can assign to the button. Works the same for all function buttons (front, top and back of the camera).

Interesting, hadn't realized long press works.  The alternate way of doing this, which I had to look up in the manual as I couldn't figure it out,  is to press FUNC then the button you wish to set. 

Is it possible to set up the magnification function (manual focus), so that magnification starts automatically as soon as you turn the focusing ring of an M-Lens (like with the M10)?

At the moment, I always have to press the (top) front button for magnification and I can't find anything in the menus.

Edited by Macberg

8 minutes ago, Macberg said:

Is it possible to set up the magnification function (manual focus), so that magnification starts automatically as soon as you turn the focusing ring of an M-Lens (like with the M10)?

At the moment, I always have to press the (top) front button for magnification and I can't find anything in the menus.

No. The reason is that there is no mechanical (or electronic) connection between the lens and the body; the adapter is 'dumb' except for the 6-bit transfer you get if you use the Leica M2L adapter. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, helged said:

No. The reason is that there is no mechanical (or electronic) connection between the lens and the body; the adapter is 'dumb' except for the 6-bit transfer you get if you use the Leica M2L adapter. 

That’s not the reason. Auto magnification works on M240 which is also dumb. Oh, sorry, you’re right there is a mechanical connection to focus changes on the M 240

Edited by Exodies
Lack of thought

10 hours ago, erudolph said:

In Jono’s review, he mentions the ability to switch off acceleration when manually focusing lenses.  I am seeing a grayed out menu item that never seems to be active, whether or not I am in manual focus. 

In the pdf manual:

This function will become available with the 2020 firmware update. Registered

users will be automatically notified about updates, see p. 12 and p. 191.
Subject to changes.

• Thanks 1

On the S1R there was a LCD/EVF option to show the amount of camera shake and a sense by the rings as to how much the IBIS could compensate. I found it quite useful. I haven’t found anything comparable on the SL2. Am I missing something or is just not an option.