SL2 Questions

Tragg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 minutes ago, bsmith said:

It doesn't accomplish it because your rear  joystick focus is negated as soon as you push the shutter button.  

I don’t know what you mean by negated, if I’m in MF mode to start, as suggested. Pushing the shutter release in MF mode (after focusing using joystick) doesn’t change the focus point again, right?   

Jeff

1 hour ago, erudolph said:

After auto focusing adjusting the focus manually:  With the SL, I've been doing it like this: 

1. Put camera in Manual Focus mode. 

2. Assign AFs to Joystick.

3. Hold Joystick in and manually adjust focus.

Is there another way? 

You do not need to hold the joystick to manually adjust the focus.

1 hour ago, erudolph said:

Will you expand on that?  Please explain the setup for manually focusing a Leica L-mount lens.  I fear I’ve been making it too hard!

1. Put camera in Manual Focus mode. 

2. Assign AFs to Joystick.

3. Optional: Press and release Joystick to acquire initial focus.

4. Manually adjust focus (without touching Joystick).

The nice thing about this high-frequency SL2 discussions is that I kept relearning things about my SL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, digitalfx said:

When in Manual focus mode you simply adjust the lens as you would on any manual focus lens. Its that simple

Thank you SrMi and digitalfx.  Just for clarification, I understood that MF permits manually focusing.  I was interested in auto-focusing and then tweaking the focus point manually.

50 minutes ago, erudolph said:

Thank you @Nicci78 for this:  "Just half press the shutter when autofocusing. Then turn the focus ring while maintaining the half press."  That works fine.

Yes, that works fine when you are in AFs mode. In AFc mode, turning focus ring stops AFc, which probably makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, erudolph said:

The AWB on the SL2... I'm not liking it. 

Yes, my findings as well. SL2 AWB is inconsistent , no way as accurate as the Q2 or the SL 1. I only shoot raw, but it's annoying to view wrong color balance while shooting. It definitely needs a firmware fix!!   I was waiting to see if anyone else noticed this. 

• Like 2

Am 28.11.2019 um 06:26 schrieb erudolph:

Thank you SrMi and digitalfx.  Just for clarification, I understood that MF permits manually focusing.  I was interested in auto-focusing and then tweaking the focus point manually.

That‘s  possible: Joystick>AFs & Shutter>MF with auto-magnification.

vor 11 Stunden schrieb bsmith:

Yes, my findings as well. SL2 AWB is inconsistent , no way as accurate as the Q2 or the SL 1. I only shoot raw, but it's annoying to view wrong color balance while shooting. It definitely needs a firmware fix!!   I was waiting to see if anyone else noticed this. 

Yeah - so do I!

Peaking question...  it seems when I review an image, focus peaking stays on.  Any idea how to turn it off when reviewing an image?  I am sure its something obvious.... update...  sorry figured it out.  I had to set info profiles... 

Edited by lpeeples

On 11/28/2019 at 5:53 AM, sillbeers15 said:

Anyone have successfully disabled 'video'?

I was not successful in assigning a customized function to the select video button (one of two unmarked button beside the large dial on the top plate of SL2).

Keep the video-button pressed for a while and you get a whole list of functions you can assign to the button. Works the same for all function buttons (front, top and back of the camera).

1 hour ago, wjdrijfhout said:

Keep the video-button pressed for a while and you get a whole list of functions you can assign to the button. Works the same for all function buttons (front, top and back of the camera).

Thanks. I had gotten my ‘video select’ button changed to AF last evening as the first try did not work despite getting the rest of the buttons set.