SL2 Questions

Tragg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/17/2019 at 2:45 AM, Jeff S said:

Mostly true (wide angle lenses particularly) if user technique is adequate to realize potential IQ. But for someone with bad vision (especially using fast lenses wide open for shallow DOF) and/or unsteady hands, a camera with better EVF (with good focus aids and no blackout), or with IBIS, might be beneficial.  The SL2, with IBIS, might provide more benefit in this regard than even the SL, and potentially expanding lowlight handholding ability at slow shutter speeds.  Tools differ in more ways than one. Just because a sensor is optimized for a lens doesn’t mean the user is a similar match.

Jeff

Perhaps an M11 with IBIS?

7 hours ago, scroy said:

Then would AF on the SL2 (theoretically) be faster or more accurate using the TL lenses as the Maestro III processor is now working on a smaller( 20Mpix) image?

Has this been tested? It would certainly be interesting.

That will be true provided the camera captures only the APSC frame out of the whole full frame. I know the Q2 does not do so when crop mode of 35-75 is selected. The entire FF still gets captured. Would not reduce anymore processor processing task then.

• Thanks 1

The SL and S! (and presumably also SL2) capture only the APS-C part of the frame when in crop mode, so it is certainly possible that refresh rate could be higher then.  You probably wouldn't see the difference in good light, but it could hold up better in weak light, when the refresh rate (and stuff like AF that depends on it) starts to drop.

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

Since you can't switch it on or off, Leica seems to be treating it like MCAS in a Boeing 737MAX -- they don't want to scare the customers with inessential details.  But I have read that it is there.

Ah, the Applian Way.... And MCAS, hmmm, maybe I'll need to get someone to execute the shutter button for me.

4 hours ago, wellfleet said:

Does anyone know if the SL2 has ultrasonic sensor cleaning like the SL, as there appears to be no mention of it in the manual?

I just heard back from Leica re: sensor cleaning.

Hello Mr. Richardson,

Thank you for your email.  The SL2 does not have the ultrasonic sensor cleaning.  Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Jennine M. Jacques
Director, Customer Care
Leica Camera Inc.
1 Pearl Court, Unit A, Allendale, NJ 07401
www.LeicaCameraUSA.com / Jennine.Jacques@LeicaCameraUSA.com
Ph:  201-962-9956

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, helged said:

Without access to the SL2 manual, for the time being:

In AFs and AFc - is it possible to remove auto focus from the shutter button (using the joystick for focussing)?

As far as I can deduce from the manual it should be possible by setting AF mode to manual, and assigning AFs or AFc to the joystick. The joystick should then function as an AF-ON button. It would be great if this really works...

1 hour ago, Chaemono said:

Shouldn’t menu settings AF-L or AF-L + AE-L do this? 

Not as far as I can see. In AFs or AFc, setting the joystick to 

• AF-L give focus on both shutter button and joystic,
  • AE-L give focus on shutter button only (not joystick), and
  • AF-L + AE-L give focus on both shutter button and joystick.

The option I am looking for - and want to see - is to fully remove af from the shutter button. No success so far...

In MF, the focus is confined to the joystick only for AFs, AFs+AE-L, AFc, and AFc+AE-L. Fine.

12 minutes ago, Edax said:

As far as I can deduce from the manual it should be possible by setting AF mode to manual, and assigning AFs or AFc to the joystick. The joystick should then function as an AF-ON button. It would be great if this really works...

"setting AF mode to manual"... I am not sure I follow you here; any guidance where to go in the menu-system?

8 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

It works on the SL, so why not on the SL2.?

Yes, I use this option all the time on the SL. I don't bring the SL with me now, so I am not able to 'transfer' the SL-settings to SL2. But strange it is...

Edited by helged