Focomat: 1c or V35

tgray

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thinking about getting a Focomat.  I was looking at the 1c and the V35.  Frankly, the 1c appeals to me more as I'd like to use my existing 50mm Apo Rodagon with it (I think this is workable) and they appear to be a bit cheaper.  On the other hand, I will definitely have to resort to ebay to find one.

For those that have used both, which would you recommend?  Any other comments on either enlarger are welcome.

I had a Focomat and my friend a 1C. The Focomat is a real developed and grown-up enlarger with a large baseplate, the stability of the 1C is soso, the base plate is small. If you want that bit little more with printing later on, you are seriously better off with the Focomat V35. The Rodagon doesn’t fit the 1C?. The Focotar on the V35 is a great lens, I made macro photo's with it on a Visoflex and the M8 and these showed its sharpness very well.

I have a 1b (quite similar) and V35. The V35 is more complex and I'd say less reliable. I like the older style better, but the V35 can use a nice Heiland LED head and splitgrade system. Good thing, because the proper bulb for the V35 is obsolete, and the recommended one now is much dimmer. My V35 is a better fit in the space I have available, and the 40mm lens doesn't need to adjust as high for the same size prints. Both can give good results. I use a Steinheil 50 on the 1b.

But old habits die hard - I still find I get better prints off my old Omega B22XL enlarger with its Rodenstock kit lens

• 4 weeks later...

I have both a V35 with the standard Focotar 40mm lens and a rather old 1c with a 50mm Focotar (large front element) that I bought for 400 Rand (South African currency; equivalent to about 28 USD today!) . Both are brilliant. I print up to 12 by 16 inch prints, and can't tell the difference.

In my view the deciding factors are the price difference between the 2 enlargers and whether you can find the light bulbs for the V35. They are not available where I live. The one I'm using now is the last one I have. Jurgen Heiland markets a LED module for the V35; his system is expensive but works very well.

The V35 autofocus is easy to set up. The focusing cam is preset and sealed -- all you have to do is measure the height of your easel and raise the column by that measurement.  On the 1c you can adjust the autofocus to the suit the exact focal length of your 50mm lens -- they are not all the same.  This means you can use lenses from other manufacturers, eg Nikon. The manual has clear instructions on how to do this. Once you've done it you get grain-sharp focus through the whole range.

For now I'm using my Focomat 1c almost exclusively. If you find a good one, don't hesitate.

Edited by Louisgeorge