Just picked up a used M-E 220. A couple small issues with it, any advice would be great

leicarox

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

Just picked up a used M-E 220, and wondering if either of these should be considered deal breakers?

On stuck red pixel - It seems to show up even at lower ISOs and also can create a vertical line that goes all the way top to bottom if the scene is dark-ish.

Wheel maybe on the fritz - It sometimes jumps around when I'm scrolling, like there's a contact issue perhaps. Is this something that typically gets worse? Right now it's not very bad but it happened enough for me to take note. I've read maybe try electronics contact cleaner spray, but that sounds a bit iffy to do on a camera.

I realize these cameras are getting a bit long in the tooth, but from what I've read and seen, this looked like a great first M camera for me. As a fallback I guess I can get a new M-E or a used M10 or something.

Final question: how often should these be sent in for service? Are these issues something that will be fixed in the service as part of the service fee?

It was several hundred less than I've seen others going for and does have the new sensor.

Anyway, any advice appreciated, and thank you!

Leica can certainly map out the hot pixel and fix the wheel. (Sometimes just exercising a wheel control can improve it, if it is a potentiometer type, but I suspect this may be an encoder type, so replacement may be in order.) I'd never use a spray.

However, if they have to open up to fix internals (not just a re-map of the sensor) Leica often will only do a complete service. That gives a like-new result, but much more than a few hundred dollars!

But it is still a nice camera. I still use my M9, which is like new after Leica replaced the sensor. I was fortunate to have that done during the "free" period, which was amazing for a 7-year old camera.

It's likely not to be the bargain you thought, but you'll have to evaluate if the cost if worth it.

Thank you Tom!

It does have the new sensor, performed in 2017 I believe, and there's a one month warranty plus I have a few days to return it if I go that route. I just hate sending something back in so fast. So far I'm liking the camera a lot otherwise, even though it takes me forever to focus 🙂 

I guess to open options up, someone at work is selling an M10 plus summicron 50 ASPH at a great discount, and there is always the new M-E.

A friend of mine has a 240 and we did a little A/B test when the M9 arrived. The 240 images had a lot more contrast, which I don't know if that's good or bad. He said it was actually one of his gripes about the 240. Images also seemed sharper on his camera, but that could be user error on my part. Unless the M9 needs an adjustment?

Sharpness could be just practice in focusing, or calibration of the RF or lens, but I'd suspect it just needs practice.

I skipped the 240 series, but got an M10 while my M9 was out for sensor replacement (SEVERAL months back then with no communication from Leica - but it was free). Choosing between the two I always go with the M10, with my M9 relegated to 2nd-body status. I find the M10 is just improved all-around, with the images closer to the M9 that was the 240. The M10 also does better with difficult wide-angles than the earlier models - less color effects on the edges.

The Summicron 50 ASPH is an amazing lens, but I wouldn't spend the extra when my ver 5 is so good. (In fact, I use the cheaper Summarit 2.5 most often as I prefer the smaller size and handling, which is identical to the Summarit 35 that replaced my Summicron.)

Edited by TomB_tx

On 11/16/2019 at 4:52 PM, leicarox said:

Thank you Tom!

It does have the new sensor, performed in 2017 I believe, and there's a one month warranty plus I have a few days to return it if I go that route. 🙂

Surely the faults you have found should be covered by that warranty? Or was it sold as such?

• 2 weeks later...