35mm Summilux - do I dare?

guy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sean,

I actually did mean CZ = Carl Zeiss but I was talking about Cosina manufacturing practices because, as I am sure you know, they make all the CZ lenses other than the 85/2 and the 15/2.8. On the assumption that CZ have carried on the same practices as they had at Kyocera, the QC inspection team, although Japanese nationals, are Zeiss employees. I believe that was a source of considerable friction at Kyocera because of the high rejection rate of the N mount lenses. I agree with one of your comments above, the CV 35/1.2 is a tour de force at the price. Mine is spot on with the tests I did both on wine bottles and the Nikon chart. It is beautifully made and I love the sun hood. I wish that Leica had done something similar with the Noctilux rather than that pathetic wobbly plastic thing. I don't know how CV do it for the price.

Wilson

Yes, I did indeed know that.That's why I mentioned "Cosina Zeiss" above.The 35/1.2 is only one of many CV lenses that are exceptional, even more so when one considers the cost. I'm glad that you like yours.

Cheers,

Sean

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So do my 50 Lux Asph, 35 Lux Asph, 75 Lux and the Noctilux I tried! We do need more samples to test variation. Besides, at the least the first two of those are closer to the previous generation of Leica lenses in design and performance.

First two of which lenses are closer to which generation of Leica lenses?

Cheers,

Sean

The CV50/1.5 is closer to the 50 Lux pre-Asph and the CV35/1.2 is closer to the... Hmm, I think my argument falls down here, because it is better than the 35/1.4 pre-Asph. I don't mean that they are bad lenses, but that these are lenses which compare really well to the previous generation of Leica lenses, very good lenses in their own right, but just not the Asph generation and their plusses and minusses. Do you feel that this is wrong, and that the CV lenses mentioned are fully equal to the current generation? I wouldn't expect so from your reviews. There are other reasons to love them though and this is very subjective.

The CV50/1.5 is closer to the 50 Lux pre-Asph and the CV35/1.2 is closer to the... Hmm, I think my argument falls down here, because it is better than the 35/1.4 pre-Asph. I don't mean that they are bad lenses, but that these are lenses which compare really well to the previous generation of Leica lenses, very good lenses in their own right, but just not the Asph generation and their plusses and minusses. Do you feel that this is wrong, and that the CV lenses mentioned are fully equal to the current generation? I wouldn't expect so from your reviews. There are other reasons to love them though and this is very subjective.

I think that the whole "same as/equal to" idea in lenses can be a bit misleading. I read certain lens reviewers who state that Lens A is equal to Lens B of a certain generation, etc. and I often shake my head because that's not quite right - its usually too generalized to be saying anything very useful.

Lenses, as you know, are very individualistic in the way they draw and so rarely is one really a lot like another. I have not tested the pre-aspherical 50/1.4 but the 50/1.5, in some ways, does draw like the Aspherical version.

Cheers,

Sean

Guest guy_mancuso

I really got a chance to take the 35mm cron out yesterday under the Az sun and have to say it really is a awesome lens. Maybe has a touch more contrast than the Lux but it does have that leica singing chorus to it. Honestly there are so many nice lenses between CV, Zeiss and leica i think we could go broke trying them all out but folks like Sean testing these out really do help make some nice decisions on what works for you. Anyway here is just a quick sample of the 35 cron asph. Not the greatest subject but it makes the client happy

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

My M8s have both been back to Leica USA for rangefinder adjustment which are now spot on.

28 Cron has been perfect out of the box.

50 Lux had a slight backfocus issue which Leica USA adjusted.

75 Cron was perfect and stayed that way when it was 6 bit coded.

90 Elmarit was perfect and stayed that way when it was 6 bit coded.

The 35 Lux ASPH backfocused and shifted focus. Leica USA sent it to Germany, and it came back spot on at 1.4 and 5.6 or smaller. At 2.0 / 2.8 / 4.0 it still exhibited focus shift rearward, which broke the deal and I sold it.

The replacement was a 35 Cron ASPH. Wide open it is perfect, while shifted toward front focus. Stopping down everything still stays in focus throughout the range.

I liked the OOF rendering and slightly lower contrast of the Lux better than the Cron, but just did not like dealing with the focus shift that I ran into all the time. Shooting the 35 Lux at a 2m distance in the 2.0-4.0 range was just to much of a headache with the focus shift.

The Cron is working out very nicely.

Best,

Ray

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ray came over several weeks ago and tested against my 35 lux and i had the same issue as he did and just decided not worth going through the hassle and i loved the Cron at F2 which really made me drop the Lux for the Cron and it seems to work out nice and if it has a little too much contrast i can fill in LR and that does flatten it some if needed. The image above i did not do that but a couple from a different angle i did to bring back some of the shadow detail. But it is one sharp lens all the way through the apertures with no shift.

I really got a chance to take the 35mm cron out yesterday under the Az sun and have to say it really is a awesome lens. Maybe has a touch more contrast than the Lux but it does have that leica singing chorus to it. Honestly there are so many nice lenses between CV, Zeiss and leica i think we could go broke trying them all out but folks like Sean testing these out really do help make some nice decisions on what works for you. Anyway here is just a quick sample of the 35 cron asph. Not the greatest subject but it makes the client happy

Guy, is that the truck you'll be driving on our Yosemite workshop?

:) :) :),

At 2.0 / 2.8 / 4.0 it still exhibited focus shift rearward, which broke the deal and I sold it.

That seems to be normal for that lens (actually 5.6 as well, DOF hides it mostly by F/8) but I found that focus shift to be fairly minor in most real-world use.

Cheers,

Sean

Hi Sean,

If a person is shooting with the focus point at 3m plus, I would absolutely agree with you.

My issue was that I did a lot of environmental indoors stuff with that lens with the focus point around 1.5 to 2 meters and needed to use the lens in the 2.0-4.0 aperture range. It just happened to be that this is the problem area for that lens, so I needed to change tools.

The ASPH cron is working much better for me in this situation.

Best,

Ray

Guy--In that picture at #85 above, is that tall thing just in front of the cargo box (just behind the passenger door) a sort of predecessor to the Arctic Butterfly? Is this company getting into digital imaging? Should we look into their stock?

--HC

Guest guy_mancuso

Well it can block every radio and TV station from here to Flagstaff. This is a nasty toy. LOL

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I don't tolerate it, not for one instant. As Edina Monsoon memorably said, "You can drop the attitude, you're only a shop assistant".

Hi Mark,

Wasnt' it Patsy? Complemente on you excellent posts. This old shooter has learned a lot from them.

My back focus is due to very old eyes not the M8

Steve.