Where to find list of current firmware for L lenses by Panasonic and Leica

Docderm

Latest update from Panasonic USA re how to update firmware on a Leica SL lens for use on a Panasonic S1/S1r body

I learned that: 

a) use an SL/SL2 body and update the firmware for the lens

b) The update firmware version will reside in the SL lens

c) Then simply mount the SL lens on the Panasonic S camera body and automatically the updated firmware for the lens will be used by the camera.

Do not know about Sigma. But to update a Pana L lens on a SL one simply downloads the update from the Pana page quoted above on an empty SD-card ( as with any Leica update.

Follow the normal Leica procedure and the firmware shows itself to be updated. Easy as pie!

Did this with the Pana L 24-105 on a Leica SL.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have had the reverse also work.

I have an S1R and updated the Sigma EF to L adapter firmware through the S1R camera and firmware update menu.  Same process as described above but in reverse to the above post; I downloaded the Sigma firmware file and placed it on an SD card..installed the Sigma adapter on the S1R..when I went to the S1R's firmware update screen, it recognized both the current and new Sigma adapter firmware and installed it.  I have not had the occasion to try this with a Leica lens (have the 75SL and it is fabulous on this camera)..but will keep an eye out and update when the time arises.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/4/2020 at 12:18 AM, georgecp said:

I have had the reverse also work.

I have an S1R and updated the Sigma EF to L adapter firmware through the S1R camera and firmware update menu.  Same process as described above but in reverse to the above post; I downloaded the Sigma firmware file and placed it on an SD card..installed the Sigma adapter on the S1R..when I went to the S1R's firmware update screen, it recognized both the current and new Sigma adapter firmware and installed it.  I have not had the occasion to try this with a Leica lens (have the 75SL and it is fabulous on this camera)..but will keep an eye out and update when the time arises.

I own the same camera and lens. It seems, that a firmware upgrade is now available for the lens, but I could not install it. Have you tried?

• 4 months later...

I have a Leica SL2 and the Lumix 70-200 f2.8 lens.

I downloaded the Lens Firmware update 1.1 but there is ZERO information on how to install the lens update if you only have a Leica Body  and NO Lumix Body.

The link on their page just goes to a general website - how careless of Panasonic!

Has anyone worked it out.

I could try something but have no wish to "brick" my SL2.

TIA

John

Use one sd-card, reformat it in-camera, remove the card and upload the lens FW to the card (at top/root level, not in directories), insert the card in the body, from 'Main Menu' go to 'Camera Information' and 'Lens Firmware Version', activate and you're done...

• 2 months later...
On 9/4/2020 at 10:07 AM, jmm1 said:

I have a Leica SL2 and the Lumix 70-200 f2.8 lens.

I downloaded the Lens Firmware update 1.1 but there is ZERO information on how to install the lens update if you only have a Leica Body  and NO Lumix Body.

The link on their page just goes to a general website - how careless of Panasonic!

Has anyone worked it out.

I could try something but have no wish to "brick" my SL2.

TIA

John

I have just updated my Lumix 70-200 f4 from v1 to v1.1 using my SL2 body; I have no Lumix S series body. This update is required in order to use the Lumix 1.4x teleconverter with this lens.

Once downloaded as a zip file from the Panasonic website (listed in various posts above), the extracted .plf file should be copied to the root directory of a formatted SD card (as is usual with FW updates) which is then placed into the Leica L mount body (SL2 in my case).

Switch on, and in the SL2 menu go to Camera Information > Lens Firmware Version > Start update.  It all then works seamlessly. Took a couple of minutes of 'Lens update in progress' on the SL2's screen, then the lens gave an OIS-style physical 'thunk' and the camera told me the update was complete and to restart the camera.

Very easy and surely this is what the L-Mount Alliance is all about?

• Like 1