Where to find list of current firmware for L lenses by Panasonic and Leica

Docderm

Thanks but I did not find a list of what is the latest firmware for each “L” lens

for example, on a Panasonic s1r body what is the latest firmware for the:

Lumix 50mm f1.4?

summicron-sl 50mm?

summicron-sl 35mm?

etc

Can anyone please help by giving a link to such a list?

Thanks

Docderm

1 hour ago, Docderm said:

Thanks but I did not find a list of what is the latest firmware for each “L” lens

for example, on a Panasonic s1r body what is the latest firmware for the:

Lumix 50mm f1.4?

summicron-sl 50mm?

summicron-sl 35mm?

etc

Can anyone please help by giving a link to such a list?

Thanks

Docderm

Normally the firmware of the lenses is updated automatically by the camera body There are no user-installable updates as such for the lens itself; you must always go through the camera..

https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/index4.html

https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/ff/step1.html

Thanks, Jeff

This raises a major question about the "L mount alliance": Is lens firmware designed by Leica for use on an SL camera directly usable by a non-Leica camera, like a Panasonic s1r???

It would appear from Jaapv link above, that for the same lens, there is one page to go to for firmware to be used on Leica bodies, and an entirely different firmware for a Panasonic body. 

!) Can anyone clarify? 

2) Anyone got a list of the latest firmware versions for L lenses on Panasonic S bodies? 

Thanks, Jaapv:

Actually updating the camera body (Panasonic S camera) does NOT update the lens firmware. The page you referenced shows that one must separately download and install camera body firmware and lens firmware.

Docderm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 minutes ago, Docderm said:

Thanks, Jeff

This raises a major question about the "L mount alliance": Is lens firmware designed by Leica for use on an SL camera directly usable by a non-Leica camera, like a Panasonic s1r???

It would appear from Jaapv link above, that for the same lens, there is one page to go to for firmware to be used on Leica bodies, and an entirely different firmware for a Panasonic body. 

!) Can anyone clarify? 

2) Anyone got a list of the latest firmware versions for L lenses on Panasonic S bodies? 

Thanks, Jaapv:

Actually updating the camera body (Panasonic S camera) does NOT update the lens firmware. The page you referenced shows that one must separately download and install camera body firmware and lens firmware.

Docderm

Note that there is no download of lens firmware listed. Normally the lens extracts the correct firmware from the camera and updates the first time it is mounted and the camera switched on. You may consider that there is no interface on a lens to transfer firmware.

6 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Note that there is no download of lens firmware listed. Normally the lens extracts the correct firmware from the camera and updates the first time it is mounted. You may consider that there is no interface on a lens to transfer firmware.

yes..even the sigma lens firmware page doesn't show L mount lenses

Here is the page on Panasonic's site which shows one must separately download a camera body firmware update and also separately download also a lens firmware update. The camera firmware update by itself does not provide the firmware update for the lens: 

Camera body
Product
Series
Model
Version
Date
Download / Description
Camera body S DC-S1 Ver.1.2
NEW 2019/7/9
DC-S1R Ver.1.2
NEW 2019/7/9
Lens

Please note that a camera body is required in order to update interchangeable lenses.
Please refer the firmware update workflow from below for each combinations of the L-Mount alliance camera body and lens.

Case
Camera Body
Lens
Update Procedures
1 Panasonic Panasonic Update using Panasonic camera body
2 LEICA
3 SIGMA
4 LEICA Panasonic Click here to jump to the LEICA's page, which explains the procedures for LEICA camera body users.

For Panasonic products listed below, firmware update program is available from each download page.

Product
Series
Model
Version
Date
Download / Description
LUMIX S Lens Standard S-R24105 Ver.1.1
NEW 2019/06/06
Telephoto S-R70200 Ver.1.1
NEW 2019/06/06

Hi, Jaapv: 

Nice to hear from you. 

Unfortunately I still am missing a list of all the current firmware versions for all the L mount lenses we may want to use on our Panasonic S camera. 

For example: I have just received the Summicron-sl 50mm. Wow what a lens! But.....what is the current lens firmware which I should be using? 

So.....I hope someone knows where is the list

Thanks

Docderm

Leica says in your manual that firmware updates will be offered on their site. There are no updates listed, so it seems that there aren't any. You could just call Leica and ask. FYI, the TL lenses, which are, of course, L mount as well, follow the automatic update system. Is there anything in the performance of your lens that suggests a firmware mismatch?

On 11/17/2019 at 9:38 AM, Docderm said:

Please note that a camera body is required in order to update interchangeable lenses.

What if you have Panasonic or Sigma lenses but only a Leica body such an SL or CL?  I wonder if it still work?

Update information: 

I was advised today by Panasonic USA that if a firmware update is available for a Panasonic L mount lens, then it will be listed on the web site below. If your Panasonic L mount lens is not included there as having an update firmware, then there is none needed. 

Left unclear is the following dilemma: If you have a Leica L mount lens, and it has an available firmware update, then it can only be updated using a Leica L mount camera body. It cannot currently be upgraded when attached to a Panasonic L mount body. 

Anyone have a solution for this problem: I own a Panasonic S1r but have a Summicron-sl 50mm lens. When a firmware version upgrade becomes available in the future, how will I do the upgrade? 

... and new firmware (v1.3) for the Panasonic S1 series is now available:

1. Expanded media compatibility
    - CFexpress Type B memory card can be used.
  2. Expanded compatibility with Profoto wireless transmitters
    - Profoto wireless transmitters "Air Remote TTL-O/P" and "Profoto Connect-O/P" can be used.
    * All functions may not be available depending on the situation.
  3. Improved compatibility with Sigma interchangeable lenses and mount converter
    - It is possible to assign function to the Fn buttons of Sigma L-Mount interchangeable lenses.
    - When attaching a lens using the Sigma MC-21 mount converter and [Image Stabiizer] > [Lens] is set to ON , Body I.S.(Image Stabilizer) suppresses roll movement.
  4. Improved compatibility with Panasonic interchangeable lenses
    - It is possible to assign functions to the lens’ Fn buttons when the Panasonic LUMIX S PRO 70-200mm F2.8 O.I.S. (S-E70200) is mounted.
  5. Improved AF performance
    - It is possible to set [AF+MF] in AFC mode.
    - It is possible to set continuous AF on the live view screen in Creative Video mode or in other video recording mode when the video recording area is displayed.
  6. Improved performance of High Speed Video
    - It is possible to manually set the exposure according to the video exposure mode (P/A/S/M) in High Speed Video mode.
  7. Other added functions
    - It is possible to select the card slot to save the JPEG images developed by in-camera RAW processing.
    - [0.5 SEC] has been added for an option of [Duration Time (photo)] in [Auto Review].
    - [Forced Flash OFF] can be selected in iA mode.
    - [AF Assist Light] has been added to the Focus tab of the [Video] menu.
    - [Off (Disable Press and Hold)] can be assigned to the Fn button. It disables operation when the button is long-pressed.
    - Fn button can be used for checking aperture effect while the button is pressed.
  8. Other improvements
    - There were cases where F value control failed depending on the maximum F value when non-Panasonic L-Mount lens is mounted. This bug has been fixed.
    - Luminance level of photos (including 6K/4K Photo and Post Focus images) can be set when playing back them over HDMI output.
    - AE can be locked with the [AF/AE LOCK] button when ISO Auto is set in M mode.
    - Image quality of long exposure shot has been improved. (When [Long Exposure NR] is set to OFF and [Vignetting Comp.] is set to ON.)
    - Aperture and shutter speed can be controlled using front/rear dials when the rear monitor is set to OFF.
  9. Improved operational stability
    - There were cases where Backup Recording using the Double Card Slot Function stopped during writing. This bug has been fixed.
    - AF operation following the pressing of [AF-ON] in MF mode was unstable when the LVF Frame Rate was at 120 fps and the camera was under dim lighting. This bug has been fixed.
    - There were cases where the images shot vertically did not rotate on playback. This bug has been fixed.
    - There were cases where [Image Stabilizer] was set to OFF when the battery was reinserted. This bug has been fixed.
    - Operational stability of image stabilizer has been improved. (When [Image Stabilizer] > [E-Stabilization(Video)] and [Boost I.S.(Video)] is ON. )

But the answer to the OP is to go into a Leica Store and mount the lens on an SL/SL2 with the latest firmware and see if anything happens.

8 hours ago, Docderm said:

Update information: 

I was advised today by Panasonic USA that if a firmware update is available for a Panasonic L mount lens, then it will be listed on the web site below. If your Panasonic L mount lens is not included there as having an update firmware, then there is none needed. 

Left unclear is the following dilemma: If you have a Leica L mount lens, and it has an available firmware update, then it can only be updated using a Leica L mount camera body. It cannot currently be upgraded when attached to a Panasonic L mount body. 

Anyone have a solution for this problem: I own a Panasonic S1r but have a Summicron-sl 50mm lens. When a firmware version upgrade becomes available in the future, how will I do the upgrade? 

In general: What happens if one mounts a Leica lens on a Panasonic body? Does it update to Panasonic compatible firmware? In that case Leica updates are probably irrelevant 

What happens when you mount an Leica lens on the Panasonic s1R.........it works fine!

I have mounted the 35mm, 50mm, and 75mm summicron-sl on my s1R and all lenses work a treat. I could detect no issues. 

I think in Jono Slack's review of the latest summicron-sl lenses he actually has photo's labelled as having been shot on Panasonic S camera. 

So, they work fine. The remaining issue is how are we going to upgrade the lens firmware without a Leica SL/SL2 camera body? 

I don't think so.  This is a bit of a limitation of the L-mount, if you need to get a native body to update lenses.  At least the Panasonic lenses are updated via a file, so you may be able to update them on a Leica.

Here's an example of a firmware update for a lens without a brand specific camera:

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/article/firmware-update-for-sigma-l-mount-lenses-10-17-2019

Edited by jrp

More problems:

I followed the above link provided by JRP and selected to update the firmware on the 45mm L mount lens. 

clicking this link on that pages takes you to a page which says: 

Page Not Found

The requested item does not exist on this server.
Please re-check the URL, or return to the home page.

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/art/a019_14_24_28/

???????????????