Leica CL 'Edición Paul Smith'

Dopaco

11 minutes ago, Jonathan Hanson said:

Ugh. Why, why does Leica keep doing these?

Yes, I know: money. I still wish they would focus their energies more on actually improving the CL (which I love). I can do without the blue Krylon and "special" rope strap; I'd rather have image stabilization and automatic sensor cleaning.  

Indeed - money. Money which can be used to improve their "normal" cameras. Given that it costs (relatively) peanuts to spray a few parts in a silly colour, the return on investment is high and the pressure on R&D is minimal.

I have no problem with special editions. Leica makes a few bucks and a few people are happy What is there not to like? And in hindsight  I could have made a lot of money, had I bought them as they came out over the years. :( 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Indeed - money. Money which can be used to improve their "normal" cameras. Given that it costs (relatively) peanuts to spray a few parts in a silly colour, the return on investment is high and the pressure on R&D is minimal.

I have no problem with special editions. Leica makes a few bucks and a few people are happy What is there not to like? And in hindsight  I could have made a lot of money, had I bought them as they came out over the years. :( 

I know, I know . . . The Cayenne saved Porsche too. But still!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How about this one?

https://leicastoremiami.com/collections/leica-cl-cameras/products/leica-cl-urban-jungle-by-jean-pigozzi?variant=29162418864172

Both are ugly if you ask me. Wouldn't be caught dead with one. 

OT : I've been looking for a hard shell case for the 55-135 and can't seem to find one. All neoprene and you have to buy four different sizes in a "pack."

Any suggestions?

I don't care for the 'Edición Paul Smith' at all, but the "'Urban Jungle' by Jean Pigozzi" looks nice to me. I wouldn't pay an $800 premium for it but if I could get a body only at a price near the standard black body, I'd go for one. 

Nothing wrong with a little styling, if you like it and are willing to pay for it. :D Doesn't have to be to everyone's taste... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

I don’t think that the CL is a very suitable camera for special editions. It is too much of a workhorse. The M, the TL are far more likely candidates. 

I  think a bright chrome TL2 , with hints of deco, along the lines of the Minox CLX, would work well.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Ah! I had one of the Minox CLX cameras too, for a long time. I sold it to one of my Minox friends about 2013, since I'd enjoyed it for long enough to satisfy me. I used the money to buy my last Hasselblad SWC ... now that one is sold too as I wait for the modern digital equivalent (907x Special Edition with 21mm lens). :D

The CLX was a very sweet, very pretty special edition .. The TL2 would look nice with that kind of finish!

G

• Like 1

As for the Paul Smith, I am all for jazzing up the camera with an exciting design -- why should customers be stuck with boring black all the time if they want something different?  For this particular model, I think they should have changed the black leather (?) though.  It makes the coloured parts look like an after thought rather than a unified design.

• Like 1

They should make a 'Rastaman version' in Red/Gold & Green that plays a Reggae classic every time you hit the shutter (other accessories on request).

I can remember painting a couple of my M's in the day, it was fun.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Marac said:

They should make a 'Rastaman version' in Red/Gold & Green that plays a Reggae classic every time you hit the shutter (other accessories on request).

I can remember painting a couple of my M's in the day, it was fun.

Presumably you could program it to play “I shot the sheriff” (but shutter lag stopped me shooting the deputy)...

• Haha 4

• 3 months later...
17 minutes ago, robert blu said:

Sometimes it is nice to hace a little bit of fantasy added to our cameras...😘 I like that  jean pigozzi variant...

It's why I bought the red leather replacement covering for my Fuji GS645S ... Haven't fitted it yet but plan to someday. :)

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 9:25 AM, rob_w said:

As for the Paul Smith, I am all for jazzing up the camera with an exciting design -- why should customers be stuck with boring black all the time if they want something different?  For this particular model, I think they should have changed the black leather (?) though.  It makes the coloured parts look like an after thought rather than a unified design.

I actually had the original X2 Paul Smith special edition and not only was it a nice, fun, camera to use, I really enjoyed the look and looking at, the muted orange top plate - the downer for me on the new version is the poster paint coloured blue top, which to me is glaring and contrasts badly with the subtle colours around the base and to me cheapens the look of the camera; if only they'd picked one of the base colours for the top plate, it would look great and be a quality camera that was a pleasure to use, rather than frivolous, design exercise.

This design is a joke in my opinion, Paul Smith did horrible design for Leica CL, so it look like a plastic toy Made in China by person who has no sense in design or style.

I guess it's all marketing, reaching out to younger generation who wants to look cool with colors.

You know what's really cool, is to stay being Leica and continuing it's own traditions!

Edited by eev776