Leica 90-280 vs Panasonic 70-200 f2.8 with 2X teleconvertor

mercan

2 hours ago, Capnord said:

Panasonic 1.4x tele-converter will be enough (and better) to get 280mm. And you keep correct AF.

The reason that I am looking for telephoto lens is to take the pictures of my daughters during ski vacations and during summer vacations for sea sports activities like windsurf etc. Do you think focusing with lumix 70-200 f2.8 with 2x convertor have problems? if so I may prefer Leica 90-280. 

2 hours ago, mercan said:

The reason that I am looking for telephoto lens is to take the pictures of my daughters during ski vacations and during summer vacations for sea sports activities like windsurf etc. Do you think focusing with lumix 70-200 f2.8 with 2x convertor have problems? if so I may prefer Leica 90-280. 

Which camera will you be using the lens on?

The 90-280mm should give you enough reach on the SL. If that's not long enough you can also look at the CL, which combined with the 90-280mm will give you 420mm on the long end, due to the APSC crop factor. I use this combination  for wildlife and it works very well.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, michali said:

Which camera will you be using the lens on?

The 90-280mm should give you enough reach on the SL. If that's not long enough you can also look at the CL, which combined with the 90-280mm will give you 420mm on the long end, due to the APSC crop factor. I use this combination  for wildlife and it works very well.

I will be using SL, I wonder if 280mm be enough or 200mm with 2x convertor be more convenient. 

For most wild life, 280 mm is too short, at least based on my experience. I would rather start with a 400 mm lens, and add extenders if needed. I do understand that 280 mm might be fine on safari, but not for the wild life where I live (Scandinavia). 

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1) both combos have different focal length range. which one fits you better?

2) I have no clue but I doubt a 70-200/2.8 with 2TC could deliver same IQ at wide apartures like a native 90-280/2.8-4,0 lens.

I use the 70200/4.0 Pana sometimes when I dont need the longer reach of the 90-280 and want a lighter lens. The Pana is fine, but I get more "wow" images with the Leica lens.

• Like 1

This is my daughter playing around on a shore break taken with CL and 90-280 at about 120meters. No doubt the SL2 with 50 megapixels will deliver better results if you need them.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If this is primarily for 'family photos' rather than more 'serious' photography (no offence to your family), then the better IQ of the V-E 90-280SL may well not be worth the price and weight.  Would the Panasonic 4.0/70-200 do the job? Cheaper, smaller, lighter.  

Edited by MarkP
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MarkP said:

If this is primarily for 'family photos' rather than more 'serious' photography (no offence to your family), then the better IQ of the V-E 90-280SL may well not be worth the price and weight.  Would the Panasonic 4.0/70-200 do the job? Cheaper, smaller, lighter.  

I already invested three prime lenses including Noctilux f0.95 with M9 years ago for family pictures. M9 is no longer with me because of the sensor failure so I have bought SL with Leica upgrade offer and I need one telephoto lens. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the messages and the sample photos, I have got my 90-280 today.   

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

With no consideration to price, Leica has been known to delivery extraordinary IQ performance on zoom lenses since R lens days. I own all three SL zoom lenses and have not been disappointed by any. As for the 90-280, it has never failed me on AF, sharpness, color and contrast. Which contrast is often the weakness in longer focal length lenses and in particular zoom lenses. 
I have been following the reviews of Sigma Art prime lenses and till date I have yet to come across much criticisms. Most prise it for it’s sharpness. I can also see more and more L mount prime Sigmas made available. I have been wanting to try out the Sigmas since many of them offer f1.4 which Leica SL lenses now still lack. If Sigma produces a 600mm prime, I will certainly be keen to try as Leica has said it has no plans to produce SL lenses with focal length of more than 280mm.

Edited by sillbeers15

1 hour ago, thatkatmat said:

So, it's been quite a while since you got the lens...Any thoughts? I just picked one up myself, will be here in a couple days.

I've had the lens for about 2 years, there's absolutely nothing I can fault about it. Well made & optically superb, about on par with the primes. The internal zoom mechanism is a big plus. AF speed is good on both the SL2 & CL. 

You're going to love this lens. 

Some images here-

You're going to love this lens.

23 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

With no consideration to price, Leica has been known to delivery extraordinary IQ performance on zoom lenses since R lens days. I own all three SL zoom lenses and have not been disappointed by any. As for the 90-280, it has never failed me on AF, sharpness, color and contrast. Which contrast is often the weakness in longer focal length lenses and in particular zoom lenses. 
I have been following the reviews of Sigma Art prime lenses and till date I have yet to come across much criticisms. Most prise it for it’s sharpness. I can also see more and more L mount prime Sigmas made available. I have been wanting to try out the Sigmas since many of them offer f1.4 which Leica SL lenses now still lack. If Sigma produces a 600mm prime, I will certainly be keen to try as Leica has said it has no plans to produce SL lenses with focal length of more than 280mm.

There is a Sigma 4/500mm. Sooner or later it will be available in L-mount. But it is a very expensive Sigma lens (probably the most expensive one).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/25/2020 at 7:17 AM, thatkatmat said:

So, it's been quite a while since you got the lens...Any thoughts? I just picked one up myself, will be here in a couple days.

It is a wonderful lens except for its weight. Extremely sharp and easy to focus.   

• Like 5