Flickr SL lens Paucity

Daniel81

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am new to SL.  The only 'SL native' lens I have is the 75 summicron.  I have only enough to buy one more and am struggling between the 50 summicron, 50 summilux and 35 summicron.  I was hoping to go to some serious Flickr pages for each of these lenses to really have a good look.  To my GREAT surprise, there is so little.  for the 50 Summilux, there is sufficient flickr stock to really allow me a good look (along with good metadata).  But for the 35 and 5o summicrons, I am surprised to find so little.  I wonder why that is?!?  I know there is an SL image page on this site, but it is not sorted by lens type, and metadata is not available.  Does anyone know a good site where I can really have a good look at images shot with these three lenses?

The good news, all of these lenses are so well corrected, that you do not need to worry too much about IQ. Choose the focal length that you like best. Then do your own tests. And if the results are not to your liking go back to your shop and ask for your money back.

I really cannot imagine how you could get a good impression by looking at Flickr pages. Much better is a personal hands-on. But as said before, Leica lenses are so good, no need to test them again. (There are already plenty of test reports.)

You could do the inverse, go to the shop, say you would like to rent a lens for tests. And if you like it, you will buy the lens. Often they accept, that the rental fee can then be used for the sale.

These lenses are available only in very small numbers compared to other brands. And the people who buy them are often not too interested in Flickr or similar offerings.

Edited by caissa