biswasg

Wish the Q2 came with a 35mm lens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Gijs-Jan:

What's wrong with the Q2 Macro? I have not found the downsides of it yet, but I'm always interested to learn from someone elses views or experiences. 

There is nothing wrong with Q2 Macro and the macro function on the lens was one of the big plus to buy the Q2.

However, macro with a 28mm macro is what in underwater photography is called CFWA (Close Focus Wide Angle) and this gives interesting perspectives.
But a 60mm or 105mm dedicated macro lens will give quite different results and make shy animal macro photography more easy as the longer focus distance scare them less.

Chris

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Gijs-Jan said:

What's wrong with the Q2 Macro? I have not found the downsides of it yet, but I'm always interested to learn from someone elses views or experiences. 

There’s nothing specifically wrong with the Q2 macro. In fact it’s a great 28mm macro capability thats always available. However, compared to dedicated macro lenses such as 100mm, 180mm or the Canon MP-E 65mm, it’s very inferior. The magnification of those lenses combined with the subject to front of lens distance is superior. I love the challenge of macro with the Q/Q2 and often use a Marumi Close Up screw on filter to add magnification. Still, it’s not like a dedicated macro lens system. 

Here are three examples. The first is with my Canon 5D3 and 100mm macro lens. The second is with the Q and highly cropped. The snowflakes are often only 1-2mm wide. The third is the same #2 image before cropping. The magnification of the dedicated macro lens is dramatic in comparison to the Q macro capability. Still, don't misunderstand. The Q is a magnificent macro that's always with you. When on the Q2 with it's higher resolution sensor it allows even more cropping and effectively greater magnification than on the Q. 

Edited by Leica Guy

These are two-dimensional objects. When you photograph three-dimensional objects in macro with a short lens, the perspective will be quite unnatural and far too steep. a 100-200 mm macro lens is far more suitable. However, photographing scale models will require a short lens to make them look "real"

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

These are two-dimensional objects. When you photograph three-dimensional objects in macro with a short lens, the perspective will be quite unnatural and far too steep. a 100-200 mm macro lens is far more suitable. However, photographing scale models will require a short lens to make them look "real"

Actually they do have depth. I now use a Canon MP-E 65 Macro lens which gives up to 5X magnification. So a 2mm wide snowflake covers about 30% of the image horizontally. The DOF at that magnification is tiny. In the range of 0.050”. Diffraction is also a big challenge. I use an adjustable rail and usually take 12-24 shots then stack them using a great focus stacking program - HeliconFocus. This is quite challenging as you might imagine. The best snowflakes are below 15 degrees F. It is done outside safeguarding that the camera doesn’t get too cold and stop working. 

On 3/8/2020 at 3:19 PM, jaapv said:

Yes, they do have depth, but no perspective.

Correct. I shoot them exactly at 90 degrees overhead. No perspective.