Wish the Q2 came with a 35mm lens

biswasg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Gijs-Jan:

What's wrong with the Q2 Macro? I have not found the downsides of it yet, but I'm always interested to learn from someone elses views or experiences. 

There is nothing wrong with Q2 Macro and the macro function on the lens was one of the big plus to buy the Q2.

However, macro with a 28mm macro is what in underwater photography is called CFWA (Close Focus Wide Angle) and this gives interesting perspectives.
But a 60mm or 105mm dedicated macro lens will give quite different results and make shy animal macro photography more easy as the longer focus distance scare them less.

Chris

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gijs-Jan said:

What's wrong with the Q2 Macro? I have not found the downsides of it yet, but I'm always interested to learn from someone elses views or experiences. 

There’s nothing specifically wrong with the Q2 macro. In fact it’s a great 28mm macro capability thats always available. However, compared to dedicated macro lenses such as 100mm, 180mm or the Canon MP-E 65mm, it’s very inferior. The magnification of those lenses combined with the subject to front of lens distance is superior. I love the challenge of macro with the Q/Q2 and often use a Marumi Close Up screw on filter to add magnification. Still, it’s not like a dedicated macro lens system. 

Here are three examples. The first is with my Canon 5D3 and 100mm macro lens. The second is with the Q and highly cropped. The snowflakes are often only 1-2mm wide. The third is the same #2 image before cropping. The magnification of the dedicated macro lens is dramatic in comparison to the Q macro capability. Still, don't misunderstand. The Q is a magnificent macro that's always with you. When on the Q2 with it's higher resolution sensor it allows even more cropping and effectively greater magnification than on the Q. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Leica Guy
  • Like 3

These are two-dimensional objects. When you photograph three-dimensional objects in macro with a short lens, the perspective will be quite unnatural and far too steep. a 100-200 mm macro lens is far more suitable. However, photographing scale models will require a short lens to make them look "real"

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

These are two-dimensional objects. When you photograph three-dimensional objects in macro with a short lens, the perspective will be quite unnatural and far too steep. a 100-200 mm macro lens is far more suitable. However, photographing scale models will require a short lens to make them look "real"

Actually they do have depth. I now use a Canon MP-E 65 Macro lens which gives up to 5X magnification. So a 2mm wide snowflake covers about 30% of the image horizontally. The DOF at that magnification is tiny. In the range of 0.050”. Diffraction is also a big challenge. I use an adjustable rail and usually take 12-24 shots then stack them using a great focus stacking program - HeliconFocus. This is quite challenging as you might imagine. The best snowflakes are below 15 degrees F. It is done outside safeguarding that the camera doesn’t get too cold and stop working. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Will never come, get over it. 

Manufacturers are really stubborn with their high end fixed lens cameras :

• Fujifilm only release 35mm equivalent X100 cameras. 
  • Ricoh only release 28mm equivalent GR cameras
  • Leica only release 28mm Q cameras so far
  • Sony only release 35mm RX1 cameras
  • Nikon only release one 28mm equivalent Coolpix A camera

You get the pattern. They chose a particular focal length for a reason. Then stick to it forever. 

Only exception Sigma with its DP line of compact cameras. But their respected lenses were also available as interchangeable lenses for m4/3 and E mounts. Making the operation financially acceptable.

Leica also sell SL2 or CL with any focal length available. 

Otherwise Q2 35mm crop is awesome. Try it for real, you will never wish for 35mm Q again. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 12:21 AM, mike3996 said:

I have a very strong gut  feeling that it's not going to happen.

20 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

Oh yes, of course it won't be released. Leica can barely keep up with the current lines of cameras, they obviously don't have the capacity to deal with multiple lines. 

On 11/7/2020 at 11:10 PM, nicci78 said:

Will never come, get over it. 

Manufacturers are really stubborn with their high end fixed lens cameras :

• Fujifilm only release 35mm equivalent X100 cameras. 
  • Ricoh only release 28mm equivalent GR cameras
  • Leica only release 28mm Q cameras so far
  • Sony only release 35mm RX1 cameras
  • Nikon only release one 28mm equivalent Coolpix A camera

You get the pattern. They chose a particular focal length for a reason. Then stick to it forever. 

Only exception Sigma with its DP line of compact cameras. But their respected lenses were also available as interchangeable lenses for m4/3 and E mounts. Making the operation financially acceptable.

Leica also sell SL2 or CL with any focal length available. 

Otherwise Q2 35mm crop is awesome. Try it for real, you will never wish for 35mm Q again. 

Terrifically disappointing. The Q2 platform is wonderful and it's pretty foolish that they won't add others. It would make them exceptionally unique in the market. Also the SL2 is not at all comparable, compared to the Q2 it's absolutely huge and the SL2 lenses are massive. The whole value of the Leica system is the compact M-based lenses, and even if a 50mm Summilux on a Q2 would be bigger, it would be worth it for AF. 

On 11/14/2019 at 1:58 PM, bags27 said:

Thank you so much, Viv, for this thread drift! There are now quite literally hundreds of threads on the web about what focal length the Q should be, rather than what it is.

I, too, bought a CL, and, as a result, I am likely to sell my Q. Briefly, for something wider, the 11-23 is a brilliant tele. If you want something less expensive and more photographically challenging, Voitlander makes a couple of very wide linear primes that pair well also. 

+1 for 11-23 recommendation

18 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

I think the main issue is making a 50mm 1.x lens small enough and with adequate performance. Even the 28mm is a big compromise, given the corners are very far from ideal without software correction.

I could live with a 50mm F2 though.

Easier to make a small sharp 50mm than a 28mm, especially with a short flange distance like the Q, although I'd be happy with f2 as well.

Gordon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Am 9.11.2020 um 17:04 schrieb eyeheartny:

terrifically disappointing. The Q2 platform is wonderful and it's pretty foolish that they won't add others.

Once again and still the same: There will be never be a Q type camera with a different lens.
There is also no need to do that as there are other cameras doing the same and maybe even better, just to name the SL2

If i should be terribly sad and everyday disapointed about the focal lenght of my camera i simply would sell it and buy another who fit my wishes/needs.
Basically thats what i did with my D800 rig, as it is too bulky and heavy to haul around the world and i was planning (and did) an 6 month road trip in southern Europe,
i pulled the trigger and got the Q and 3 few months later traded her it in for the finally available Q2 and i never looked back.

However, with the new Zeiss there is a new kid on the block, she has also a excellent lens and same high price for a compact size camera.

If i would have 30K to spend for a interchangable lens camera then the SL2 and 3 lenses would what i would buy.
But as this rig would have the same sad, lonely life in my dry cabinet crying for a bit of love (my D800 rig does) as i would use mostly the Q2 as she fit 90% of my needs.

Chris

20 hours ago, PhotoCruiser said:

Once again and still the same: There will be never be a Q type camera with a different lens.
There is also no need to do that as there are other cameras doing the same and maybe even better, just to name the SL2

Apparently having different focal lenght Qs was the initial plan though:

https://leicarumors.com/2015/07/27/interesting-interview-with-the-designers-of-the-leica-q-typ-116-camera.aspx/

"If there is enough interest, Leica may consider producing Leica Q cameras in the future with 35mm and 50mm lenses."

Though the original link to the interview does not work anymore :(