Summicron 50mm CLA

mikbau

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all

I recently picked up a used 70's version III 50mm Summicron F2. I"m still waiting for it to arrive - it's supposedly just about perfect except a very small bit of oil on the aperture blades. I was digging around to see if there are preferred places for a lens CLA, but a lot of the postings I found were a little dated. Does anyone have a preferred tech or place for a lens CLA? It doesn't likely need it immediately, but I was just planning ahead. 

Looking forward to comparing it to my Zeiss C Sonnar on the CL

thanks in advance

Michael

I use both DAG (Don Goldberg) and Youxin Ye for lens CLA. Don has full optical equipment to tweak lens performance if needed, but both do good work.

My Summicron III that I bought in 1969 eventually developed very stiff focus action from dried grease, but the optics are still fine. I just removed the optical head and did a CLA on focus mount myself. It's still a great lens. I also have a ver 5, and performance is very close on both.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomB_tx said:

I use both DAG (Don Goldberg) and Youxin Ye for lens CLA. Don has full optical equipment to tweak lens performance if needed, but both do good work.

My Summicron III that I bought in 1969 eventually developed very stiff focus action from dried grease, but the optics are still fine. I just removed the optical head and did a CLA on focus mount myself. It's still a great lens. I also have a ver 5, and performance is very close on both.

Thanks...according to the seller, it isn't causing an issue at all in the aperture or the optics. I was just thinking that it may be needed at some point. Do you happen to have a basic set of steps of how you went about the CLA on your lens? 

10 minutes ago, mikbau said:

Thanks...according to the seller, it isn't causing an issue at all in the aperture or the optics. I was just thinking that it may be needed at some point. Do you happen to have a basic set of steps of how you went about the CLA on your lens? 

The optical head (front part) just unscrews from the focusing mount, as it could also be used on other special adapters. I don’t have steps for the helical focusing mount, as I’ve worked on many over the last 50 years, and have pin spanners and other special tools needed. I just figure each one out as I take it apart.
If you should disassemble a helical Mount, be aware they use a multi-start thread that may have 6 or more separate threads, and only one way will align right for proper focus. You have to notice how the parts are aligned as the threads separate to start them back the same way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 10:45 AM, TomB_tx said:

When is the last time you dealt with DAG? I had sent several e mails to him about a year ago without hearing back. I had also used him in the past and I was very pleased with his timing and work.

thanks