Long time Leica M user now with a Leica S

Acekerman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been a long time Leica M user and now a new to me Leica S 006 with 70mm CS. I'm blown away with this camera! For its age its stunning. I love the CCD sensor color and monochrom conversion, the resolution, the Medium depth of field, etc. All these years I had no idea. This has motivated my photography like the first time I developed mown B&W film decades ago. Thats all I got. Thanks for listening. :)

• Like 5

The M Monochrom had a similar effect on me, with the added benefit of a total b/w workflow and mindset. The S006 files are also terrific, as long as one can accept the more limited handholding capability and ISO constraints. I used the S006 for a couple of weeks, but only with the zoom; the 70 would have provided  more portability and handholding flexibility.  

Jeff

On 11/15/2019 at 9:34 AM, Sailronin said:

The S (006) produces beautiful images. I use my M9 when traveling as it fits easily in a suitcase and is much lighter;  the S when I have a car available.

Today, I returned from two weeks in Turkey with my 007 with 70, 35 and Zeiss Contax 120. The kit went on board with me in my Peak Design bag which is absolutely brilliant, and carries more than it was ever meant to https://www.peakdesign.com/products/everyday-messenger?variant=11607015194668&currency=USD&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2b7uBRDsARIsAEE9XpFFvjc4fm_-lxojewdFS1k59fsdHWKPkTuz0tjbzIdDGfrR2VLfgsUaAhlNEALw_wcB . During the day, the body with 70 hung off my shoulder with the 35/120 in the smallest LowePro Slingshot (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/676052-REG/Lowepro_LP36172_PEU_SlingShot_102_AW_Camera.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2b7uBRDsARIsAEE9XpGKpTOn-7K-jumkuZsAldZAlZ6n9IWnH9K7uVScB36ltmcyl2AFskQaAng8EALw_wcB), which is exceedingly comfortable because the weight is off the neck and just looks like a small backpack. I put the bag on first and then the camera.

Before I bought into the S system, I traveled extensively with an M9 with 50/35/90. To be sure, it is substantially lighter than the S kit. And there were times on this trip that the weight of the S was a bit of a drag. Especially on hikes. But I knew from travels in Thailand last year (my first such trip with this kit) that all of the inconveniences of traveling with the S would fade and then evaporate once I put those luscious images up on my computer screen.

Acekerman, congrats on your acquisition. The S system is just wonderful in the hand and your images, if properly made, will give you great satisfaction and continue to inspire. I shot the 006 for three years and then moved to the 007. I got over the tonal differences between the sensors as soon as I discovered how much more versatile the 007 is. Perhaps the most fun I had in Turkey was doing night time street shoots - just set the ISO to 1600-3200, and lens wide open, and under expose, if necessary with faster shutter speed, for hand held  and done. I need to put my M9 and lenses up for sale so someone else can enjoy them. But, sentimental attachment and all that.

David

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2019 at 3:36 PM, Acekerman said:

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the encouragement and mutual sentiment. 

Enjoy as we all do here!

I started with 35mm film in the 80's, and I still enjoy film and the M, but for very different purposes.  General walk around and documentation style photography, I still use the M.  For landscape work and (new) portraits, the S is killer!