Looking for my first R lens for my CL

nicci78

I know but IQ will still suffer a little bit. Because there is no free lunch. I am talking of quite a big amount of CA. 

It was something I do not have to care of with modern M lenses with digital M bodies. 

Never been a problem with TL lenses with T or CL too. 
But it seems to be an issue that I have to correct with non APO R lens. 😒 Only in certain condition though. 

For example R 2/50 only shows very strong colour fringes with bright reflections at f/2. Closing down eliminate them. 
However R 2.8/135 shows them in every situations wide open. Softening the image. 

I just love to use lens wide open when needed. Now I have to remember to close down to reach better IQ. Even if I do not need the extra depth of field. 

I think you made a very good choice with AME 100. And the APO Extender is way way better than the non-APO. You’ve got enough tele now but above all a beautiful lens in itself with a lovely smooth rendering and an enormous macro potential on the CL. Congrats!

Edited by otto.f
  • Thanks 1

On 1/16/2020 at 3:01 PM, nicci78 said:

Quest is over. I settled with a nice APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 100mm + APO-Extender-R 

It is quite heavy. But okay with CL + handgrip + thumb rest. 

It is crazy good, I am loving it. 
Having a 2.8/150mm + 5.6/300mm macro lens is awesome 😎 

I love doing 300mm macro shot. Being APO, long distance shot is excellent too. 
By the way, manual focusing it with the CL is easy and accurate. No need for IBIS. 

R lenses are a pleasure to use. Easier to focus than M lenses, due to larger barrel and longer throw. 

I think that I will sell my last two remaining TL lenses : 35 & 60 macro. 

And add to my lenses portfolio

Elmarit-R 2.8/28mm as street photo lens.  Not as good than M 2.8/28 asph  but closer focusing distance and I love its look.

- Summicron-R 2/50mm as moderate portrait lens. Almost as good as M version, but way cheaper. 

I will get AF 28/35/50mm with the Q2. And MF 42/75/150/300 with the CL. 

I just want to add that the R 28’s have never provoked that Leica feeling in me. And I always saw the Elmarit 60 as a standard and portrait lens. Don’t be preoccupied about its macro now you have the AME100. I don’t think that any Summicron R 50 is better. The only 50 R to lust for is the Summilux 50 E60.

• Like 1

Sadly Lux-R 50 E60 is way too expensive. 
I almost buy one at 2800€ but the seller change his mind. And said that 3100€ will be better ! Because a friend of his said that it is too cheap. 
Crazy guy for a boxless one. 

For this kind of money I will buy used Lux-M and something else with the extra money 

I am hesitant to buy a very nice with box Lux-R 80 at 1300€ with warranty. What do you think about 80mm portrait lens with APS-C

Well the 80lux is nice, but I just prefer the 75Lux. It just has that crucial bit of more spark. I had my share with the 80lux (on a Canon 5Dii) also because the rubber focus ring let loose and I heard it is a bit typical for this lens after 30 or so years.

I made this one yesterday night:

The 80lux would do that softer I think

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, otto.f said:

Well the 80lux is nice, but I just prefer the 75Lux. It just has that crucial bit of more spark. I had my share with the 80lux (on a Canon 5Dii) also because the rubber focus ring let loose and I heard it is a bit typical for this lens after 30 or so years.

I made this one yesterday night:

The 80lux would do that softer I think

You must have had a slightly hazy specimen of the 80 mm. The only difference between the two lenses is that the corner and edge performance is slightly better on the 80-R. The optical design is virtually identical. (Erwin Puts, Leica Lens Compendium, pp 165-167.)

7 minutes ago, jaapv said:

You must have had a slightly hazy specimen of the 80 mm. The only difference between the two lenses is that the corner and edge performance is slightly better on the 80-R. The optical design is virtually identical. (Erwin Puts, Leica Lens Compendium, pp 165-167.)

That could well be, I mean there was no haze, but there are individual differences between specimens of both these lenses in my experience. So I would be very carefull if I see this 80 for 1300 valuta, and test it before I buy

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

I have tested the lens two months ago. 
It is a very fine one. The best I have tried actually. Clean, no visible haze. 

Box, leather case, original invoice, 6 months warranty, come with Leica UV filter. 
Not too old. Bought in early 1996 3-cam. Just before R8 released, so no ROM.

It is still available. Just like 3 others Lux 80 in Parisian stores. People seems to dislike such lens. Why ? 
the glow wide open is very intriguing. 

I do not think you can beat 3,4/180 APO-Telyt when it comes to value for R money.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Of course not. But I cannot resolve myself to buy a lens with massive 2.5m minimum focusing distance. 

Seeing how useful the close focusing distance of AMER 100 is, proves me right. At least for me. 

Edited by nicci78

10 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Of course not. But I cannot resolve myself to buy a lens with massive 2.5m minimum focusing distance. 

Seeing how useful the close focusing distance of AMER 100 is, proves me right. At least for me. 

I agree. If we’re talking about value for money the shortest possible object distance is a very important value for me. That’s why I always found any Noctilux50 way too expensive

Edited by otto.f

If I remember correctly, the APO-Telyt-R 180mm f/3.4 was specifically intended and formulated for best performance at distance (seem to recall someone telling me that it was designed for the US Navy originally) and isn't at its best when used in the close range. My current Elmar-R 180mm f/4 (and the Elmarit-R 180mm f/2.8 that I also had) were formulated for more general purpose use and have a native close focus capability at about 1.8m or a little less; both perform better when used for macro magnifications with extension (tubes or bellows), or with an ELPRO close up lens.

I use the Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8 for a long macro lens (equivalent to a 200mm macro on APS-C format) with either ELPRO or Focusing Bellows-R. I can get very high magnification with it (about 1:2, IIRC) and it performs brilliantly in that role. 

• Like 1