Leica SL2 AF

NRKstudio

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, Dr. G said:

I am interested in this comparison as well.  The Planar 50 1.4 is my most used lens on the a7r iv.  I am also planning on getting the SL2 and the 50 cron.  I used the 50 Lux on my SL when I had it.  When comparing images from my old SL and my a7r iii and iv, there are colors and microcontrast that I can't achieve with the a7r series, even in post.  I know I'm losing some low light advantage by going with the 50 cron, but when I used the 50 cron-M with my SL the results were always fantastic.

I’m with you here. The 50 Cron SL is supposed to be one of Leicas finest.  The mtf certainly suggest it as well.  While the poster above posted some low light comparos, I’m interested in a bokeh and resolution test vs the 50/1.4 Zeiss Sony lens. 

The 75 SL I don’t think can match the 85 GM’s bokeh and rendering, due to the heavy mechanical vignetting causing heavy swirly bokeh with the 75 SL.  It certainly seems sharper though, and the look is fantastic.  It’s that huge front element on the 85 GM which helps the smooth bokeh and lack of mechanical vignetting.  

The 35 Cron SL is unmatched by Sony obviously (Though the sigma 35/1.2 works very well in E and L mount).  There’s no 135GM or 24GM equivalent as well in Leica SL.  When Leica releases the 28 Cron SL, it will also be unmatched by Sony’s 28/2.   Then again, Sigma saves the day with a 28/1.4 Art for E and L mount (though it’s huge and not the fastest focus, but at least it has a manual focus clutch over-ride).   The pancake 35/2.8 Zeiss and the 55/1.8 are also great for a discreet, small outing, super sharp for the 55/1.8 at 61mp all in a very unassuming package.  People will never guess the seriousness of camera you are packing in that kit.  You can even bring it into an NFL game that limits lenses to 4”.  

Hopefully Leica speeds the release of these L mount lenses up, as id rather not have to use Sigma and I def won’t be using Panasonic.  

36 minutes ago, NRKstudio said:

I’m with you here. The 50 Cron SL is supposed to be one of Leicas finest.  The mtf certainly suggest it as well.  While the poster above posted some low light comparos, I’m interested in a bokeh and resolution test vs the 50/1.4 Zeiss Sony lens. 

The 75 SL I don’t think can match the 85 GM’s bokeh and rendering, due to the heavy mechanical vignetting causing heavy swirly bokeh with the 75 SL.  It certainly seems sharper though, and the look is fantastic.  It’s that huge front element on the 85 GM which helps the smooth bokeh and lack of mechanical vignetting.  

The 35 Cron SL is unmatched by Sony obviously (Though the sigma 35/1.2 works very well in E and L mount).  There’s no 135GM or 24GM equivalent as well in Leica SL.  When Leica releases the 28 Cron SL, it will also be unmatched by Sony’s 28/2.   Then again, Sigma saves the day with a 28/1.4 Art for E and L mount (though it’s huge and not the fastest focus, but at least it has a manual focus clutch over-ride).   The pancake 35/2.8 Zeiss and the 55/1.8 are also great for a discreet, small outing, super sharp for the 55/1.8 at 61mp all in a very unassuming package.  People will never guess the seriousness of camera you are packing in that kit.  You can even bring it into an NFL game that limits lenses to 4”.  

Hopefully Leica speeds the release of these L mount lenses up, as id rather not have to use Sigma and I def won’t be using Panasonic.  

The Sigma 35 is an amazing lens.  So much so, that after getting it I questioned whether I should cancel my SL2/50 Cron order.  If I hadn't owned the original SL, I probably would have.  The thing is, that when I go back and look at some of my photos with the SL ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/150364525@N08/albums/72157711826707616 ) and the Q2https://www.flickr.com/photos/150364525@N08/albums/72157711755154646 ) I am quickly reminded that I can't get these images (especially the color) with my Sony (even the "generic snapshots" taken with the SL).  To top it off, I had only been using a camera for around three months before purchasing the SL.  I've definitely gotten better with both technique and composition.  I can only imagine what the SL2 and 50 Cron will help me create.

Having incredible Eye AF in the A7r iv causes some concern in moving to the SL2, but there actually is an advantage of a contrast detect AF system - and it's one that isn't really talked about.  With the PDAF system of the Sony, it has trouble locking AF on horizontal contrasting areas.  So, for static subjects, the SL2 may be an improvement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. G said:

The Sigma 35 is an amazing lens.  So much so, that after getting it I questioned whether I should cancel my SL2/50 Cron order.  If I hadn't owned the original SL, I probably would have.  The thing is, that when I go back and look at some of my photos with the SL ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/150364525@N08/albums/72157711826707616 ) and the Q2 ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/150364525@N08/albums/72157711755154646 ) I am quickly reminded that I can't get these images (especially the color) with my Sony (even the "generic snapshots" taken with the SL).  To top it off, I had only been using a camera for around three months before purchasing the SL.  I've definitely gotten better with both technique and composition.  I can only imagine what the SL2 and 50 Cron will help me create.

Having incredible Eye AF in the A7r iv causes some concern in moving to the SL2, but there actually is an advantage of a contrast detect AF system - and it's one that isn't really talked about.  With the PDAF system of the Sony, it has trouble locking AF on horizontal contrasting areas.  So, for static subjects, the SL2 may be an improvement.

My concerns are very similar to yours.  I am glad though the 35/1.2 Sigma is open for L mount.  

I posted this on another site, that if the SL2 and the Maestro III are a jump past the Q2’s tracking ability, we may very well not have an issue with the AF-C/subject tracking/eye-AF tracking with the SL2.  

but: it should be noted though that the Q2 had excellent tracking, even before the 7r3 or 7r4 were given tracking as a feature. The difference though is that Sony’s tracking features in AF-C will automagically switch to tracking a face or an eye via eye-AF tracking (or what they call real time eye-AF I believe). I don’t believe the SL2, when tracking a subject, will switch from the user-selected point of focus to the subject’s eye/face fluidly without user input. Didn’t see it in a review. 

The Q2 also was contending with a 28mm Lux requiring heavy distortion correction in real time and the Maestro II processor. The Q2 did a decent job at locking on to faces even with the wide angle FOV, in which faces can be relatively small within the frame. At that time when it was released, even my a7r3 had some eye-af blunders with the 24GM. So we will see if the SL2 takes a leap past the technology in the Q2 tracking. Hopefully the progression will be as dramatic as Sony’s jump in tech from the eye af in the 7r3 to the tracking in the7r4. 

31 minutes ago, digitalfx said:

I have the SL2 set to AFs mode, yet the camera constantly hunts just sitting on the desk unattended.

Shouldn't AF only function with a half press of shutter in AFs mode?

Shouldn't AF only function with a half press of shutter in AFs mode? Yes, at leased based on the SL2 sitting next to me now...

6 minutes ago, helged said:

Shouldn't AF only function with a half press of shutter in AFs mode? Yes, at leased based on the SL2 sitting next to me now...

hold the camera in your hand and point it at something that is out of focus...but do not touch the shutter release. Can you hear the af motor bumping constantly?

It is so annoying I leave the camera in MF...surely can't help the battery either.

is your on fw 1.0?

BTW- Im using a Leica 35mm Summicron SL lens

One other odd thing, the lens fw was 1.0 prior to the SL2 arriving, as soon as I turned on the camera for the first time it proceeded to update the lens fw which took at least 10 minutes. The lens still reports fw 1.0 though.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

40 minutes ago, digitalfx said:

I have the SL2 set to AFs mode, yet the camera constantly hunts just sitting on the desk unattended.

Shouldn't AF only function with a half press of shutter in AFs mode?

Do you have "Pre Focus" set to ON?

English manual, page 108: ...When the function is active, the camera carries out a continuous depth mapping in realtime before the actual focusing...

• Thanks 1

vor 9 Minuten schrieb SrMi:

English manual, page 108: ...When the function is active, the camera carries out a continuous depth mapping in realtime before the actual focusing...

And I thought the 50 Summilux-SL didn't hunt anymore.  It now hunts all the time. 😁

21 minutes ago, SrMi said:

25 minutes ago, digitalfx said:

hold the camera in your hand and point it at something that is out of focus...but do not touch the shutter release. Can you hear the af motor bumping constantly?

It is so annoying I leave the camera in MF...surely can't help the battery either.

is your on fw 1.0?

BTW- Im using a Leica 35mm Summicron SL lens

One other odd thing, the lens fw was 1.0 prior to the SL2 arriving, as soon as I turned on the camera for the first time it proceeded to update the lens fw which took at least 10 minutes. The lens still reports fw 1.0 though.

No af hunting, neither with "Pre Focus" set to ON or OFF. Nor with the camera in my hand pointing to something out of focus...  I have the SL50 on the SL2 with camera FW = lens FW = 1.0. Yes, the SL75 went through a lengthy lens FW update when mounting on the SL2 for the first time, as you mention with your SL35.

Is it just me or is the EVF underwhelming? The image is not crisp, its actually soft (or misaligned might be a better description)...the only way to accurately focus quickly is with the zoom focus aid enabled.

I also think the diopter is off, mine is sharpest at the dead center mark...which is not normal for me.

I haven't used the SL in years, but I remember being blown away by its EVF. This one not so much. I rarely used the zoom aid to focus with the SL, that doesn't seem nearly as easy with the SL2

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, helged said:

No af hunting, neither with "Pre Focus" set to ON or OFF. Nor with the camera in my hand pointing to something out of focus...  I have the SL50 on the SL2 with camera FW = lens FW = 1.0. Yes, the SL75 went through a lengthy lens FW update when mounting on the SL2 for the first time, as you mention with your SL35.

Pre-Focus was enabled by default...I just found it and turned it off. No more hunting.

• Like 1

vor 26 Minuten schrieb helged:

I have to disagree, Helge.  Try it in-doors, like in a church, or your home at night with somewhat dim light.  With "Pre Focus" set to ON, no hunting whatsoever, almost instantaneous focusing, with "Pre Focus" set to Off, lots of hunting in somewhat low light.  Just tried it with the 50 Summicron-SL.  I'm leaving "Pre Focus" set to ON.  Such a better AF experience in low light, IMO.

vor 21 Minuten schrieb digitalfx:

Pre-Focus was enabled by default.

They have good reason to.  The 50 Summicron-SL hunts like hell in somewhat dim light and sometimes can't acquire focus at all when "Pre Focus" is set to OFF. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Chaemono said:

I have to disagree, Helge.  Try it in-doors, like in a church, or your home at night with somewhat dim light.  With "Pre Focus" set to ON, no hunting whatsoever, almost instantaneous focusing, with "Pre Focus" set to Off, lots of hunting in somewhat low light.  Just tried it with the 50 Summicron-SL.  I'm leaving "Pre Focus" set to ON.  Such a better AF experience in low light, IMO.

He was responding to my question...when af is set to AFs and the camera is not touched, my camera was hunting. Turning off "Pre Focus" stopped this.

This seems like a bug...when the camera is set to AFs, nothing should happen until you touch the shutter.

vor 12 Minuten schrieb digitalfx:

He was responding to my question

I know.

...when af is set to AFs and the camera is not touched, my camera was hunting. Turning off "Pre Focus" stopped this.

True.

This seems like a bug...when the camera is set to AFs, nothing should happen until you touch the shutter.

I disagree.  It improves AF performance, particular in low-light, of the SL Summicrons and the 50 Summilux-SL tremendously, IMO.  In good light, focusing is instantaneous now.  Glad one can choose to turn it ON or OFF.  I choose ON. 

Edited by Chaemono
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, digitalfx said:

Is it just me or is the EVF underwhelming? The image is not crisp, its actually soft (or misaligned might be a better description)...the only way to accurately focus quickly is with the zoom focus aid enabled.

I also think the diopter is off, mine is sharpest at the dead center mark...which is not normal for me.

I haven't used the SL in years, but I remember being blown away by its EVF. This one not so much. I rarely used the zoom aid to focus with the SL, that doesn't seem nearly as easy with the SL2

You’re not using iAF are you? This gives a blurry EVF. SAF is fine.

I also think the diopter is a bit out. But not out of range so it’s not important to me.

Gordon

• Thanks 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb digitalfx:

[...]

On the other hand, I totally agree with you on the EVF.  The SL2 uses a smaller EVF chip than the SL1.  It probably saves on energy.

vor 5 Minuten schrieb digitalfx:

No, even with MF I don't have a crisp EVF

2015 Epson SL1 EVF chip diagonal size = 0.66 inch (1.65 cm).  2018/2019 Sony SL2/S1R EVF chip diagonal size = 0.5 inch (1.27 cm).  It’s a downgrade.  I put up with it because file quality and AF performance was my biggest concern.  I accept that the EVF is a bit of a downer. 

On 11/22/2019 at 4:17 PM, Chaemono said:

2015 Epson SL1 EVF chip diagonal size = 0.66 inch (1.65 cm).  2018/2019 Sony SL2/S1R EVF chip diagonal size = 0.5 inch (1.27 cm).  It’s a downgrade.  I put up with it because file quality and AF performance was my biggest concern.  I accept that the EVF is a bit of a downer. 

hopefully fw can address some issues.