Leica SL2 AF

NRKstudio

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 minutes ago, frame-it said:

i think it was more a case of being used to a certain way then suddenly having to check and set stuff..probably take a day to sort it out and get used to it..i did find the 2 front buttons irritating to press correctly

...and I guess you didn't use gloves when you played with the SL2? :rolleyes:. I cannot imagine how icy fingers can possibly distinguish between the two front buttons... Yes, you can shoot with gloves without (or with flip-back) forefinger. But in really, really cold conditions, over time, in wind and snow? Nope...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, helged said:

...and I guess you didn't use gloves when you played with the SL2? :rolleyes:. I cannot imagine how icy fingers can possibly distinguish between the two front buttons... Yes, you can shoot with gloves without (or with flip-back) forefinger. But in really, really cold conditions, over time, in wind and snow? Nope...

naa it was only 6 degrees C

• Haha 1

What is the level of Firmware (AF software) in the SL2 ? This is for the people who had a hands-on already. Or who will have a try in the next few days. Could you please check ?  If the beginning of sales is on the 21st, then it is likely that the software is still in beta stage. That was the case with the Lumix cameras.

1 hour ago, caissa said:

What is the level of Firmware (AF software) in the SL2 ? This is for the people who had a hands-on already. Or who will have a try in the next few days. Could you please check ?  If the beginning of sales is on the 21st, then it is likely that the software is still in beta stage. That was the case with the Lumix cameras.

I was having this conversation with the Leica people last weekend. I understand that the current batch of demo SL2 cameras are loaded with preproduction firmware. Firmware development is still in final tweeking process resulting first production shipments without final firmware and it will be downloaded on sales locations to meet 21st Nov launch date. So do not make any final conclusions on camera function till final firmware 1.0 is received.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2019 at 4:01 PM, caissa said:

The Sony A9 ii offers 20 frames/s of 24 MP, the a7R iv 60 MP and 10 frames/s . (Actually measured 7.2 f/s uncompressed raw and 8 f/s compressed raw).
The SL2 with 20 frames/s of 47 MP has to move almost twice the amount of data in the same time. So I would be surprised if it can show the same speed. This is logic for me, but maybe I am completely wrong and it is much faster ....  we will see in a few days. (21st)
I am just glad I do not need tracking AF (or only very seldom), as the SL2s normal AF seems to be very fast.

In the end it is not really that important if it can keep up with Sony, but rather if it can keep up with your needs. 

Yes I only bring up Sony in that it’s the current AF camera I use (an A7r4, when not shooting an m10-p).  the tracking is very helpful for photographing toddlers, your own child when many other people are around, and other family members in public events—these situations equate to much of my shooting.  I saw a Phoblographer article that showed the SL2 failing to hold focus on a writers face as he slowly walked towards the camera in a slow burst mode.  Thus my concern.  My Q2 (since sold) did a good job tracking though, even keeping up with my small but very quick dog running circles in my backyard.  

the A7r4 shoots at 20 FPS JPEG with the silent shutter, similarly it turns off AFC, AE, and AWB during the burst.  I believe it is quicker than 8 fps RAW with the silent shutter as well, but I can’t find a source for the info though.  

8 hours ago, caissa said:

the SL2 that i used was on 1.01

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 hours ago, frame-it said:

i didn't like the new menus too much..but hey i guess that's not gonna change now.

Well, I guess we should give it a fair chance. Users may like it after getting familiar. Icons are usually easier to remember than text in general. So ideally, the new menu should be well preferred over the SL/M10 Menu.

• Like 2

vor 12 Stunden schrieb caissa:

today FW is 1.0, we will see what will happen on November 21th

• Like 1

Tested the 50 Summilux-SL on a final firmware SL2 against the Planar FE 50/1.4 on the α7R IV in low light today.  The single point focus AF is much improved with this lens.  It doesn’t hunt anymore.  You have to see it to believe it.  Pinpoint accurate, too.  I had a few misfocused shots with the Sony which surprised me.  The only time the 50 Summilux-SL will hunt now is in dark settings against strong backlight, like sillbeers15 mentioned somewhere before. 

Edited by Chaemono
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

Tested the 50 Summilux-SL on a final firmware SL2 against the Planar FE 50/1.4 on the α7R IV in low light today.  The single point focus AF is much improved with this lens.  It doesn’t hunt anymore.  You have to see it to believe it.  Pinpoint accurate, too.  I had a few misfocused shots with the Sony which surprised me.  The only time the 50 Summilux-SL will hunt now is in dark settings against strong backlight, like sillbeers15 mentioned somewhere before. 

If possible please post a comparison.  The 50/1.4 planar is Sonys sharpest mid distance FOV lens.  I’d love to see what the SL2 can do with the 50 Lux in comparison.  I’m moving from the A7r4 to the SL2 with a 50 Cron, so of course I’m def interested in your results.  

• Like 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb NRKstudio:

If possible please post a comparison.  The 50/1.4 planar is Sonys sharpest mid distance FOV lens.  I’d love to see what the SL2 can do with the 50 Lux in comparison.  I’m moving from the A7r4 to the SL2 with a 50 Cron, so of course I’m def interested in your results.  

Will post many tomorrow, including for AF and in high contrast scenes.  You don’t want to see the α7R IV in high contrast scenes relative to the SL2.  These high MPx FF Sony sensors are no match for the SL2 there.  I thought the α7R III lagged behind the SL2 in terms of DR because the sensor is over four years old, but the α7R IV exhibits the same pushed shadows banding issues. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chaemono said:

Will post many tomorrow, including for AF and in high contrast scenes.  You don’t want to see the α7R IV in high contrast scenes relative to the SL2.  These high MPx FF Sony sensors are no match for the SL2 there.  I thought the α7R III lagged behind the SL2 in terms of DR because the sensor is over four years old, but the α7R IV exhibits the same pushed shadows banding issues. 

Good to hear.  The high MP files (60mp) of the Sony haven’t done well in LR CLassic for me when pushed 1.5-2 stops in the shadows.  Sean Reid did a review recently showing the higher MP SL2 files exhibiting worse noise than the SL1 files, but when resized down to 6k x 4K MP, the SL2 files could compete.  So I guess the Sony takes it one step further with high noise issues as a consequence of the higher MP.  

Are you using LR or C1?  C1 did a better job for me displaying less noise in the files.  Not sure how or why but it’s apparent.  

9 hours ago, NRKstudio said:

Good to hear.  The high MP files (60mp) of the Sony haven’t done well in LR CLassic for me when pushed 1.5-2 stops in the shadows.  Sean Reid did a review recently showing the higher MP SL2 files exhibiting worse noise than the SL1 files, but when resized down to 6k x 4K MP, the SL2 files could compete.  So I guess the Sony takes it one step further with high noise issues as a consequence of the higher MP.  

Are you using LR or C1?  C1 did a better job for me displaying less noise in the files.  Not sure how or why but it’s apparent.  

Typically, C1 applies by default more noise reduction than LR.

• Thanks 1

after handling the SL2 recently Leica really need to address the focus issue that DPreview brought up that the point of focus looks blurry through the EVF while holding the shutter half way, I am thinking its the CDAF flicking back and forth really quickly, however you cannot tell if the point of focus is in focus until you press play and look at the image. DP review said the S1R didn't do this so maybe it can be fixed

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Which default? In LR the user can set anything as default, I suppose C1 is not much different.

The one default where the user does not change anything 🙂. That is what most people are looking at when comparing C1 and Lightroom.

2 hours ago, hillavoider said:

after handling the SL2 recently Leica really need to address the focus issue that DPreview brought up that the point of focus looks blurry through the EVF while holding the shutter half way, I am thinking its the CDAF flicking back and forth really quickly, however you cannot tell if the point of focus is in focus until you press play and look at the image. DP review said the S1R didn't do this so maybe it can be fixed

I noticed that as well but it should be an easy firmware fix.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mr.Q said:

I noticed that as well but it should be an easy firmware fix.

Is there anti flicker control for artifical lights built into the SL2?  With my a7r iv, there is some degredation in the EVF when anti-flicker is activated and I lock focus.

On 11/14/2019 at 2:08 PM, NRKstudio said:

I am interested in this comparison as well.  The Planar 50 1.4 is my most used lens on the a7r iv.  I am also planning on getting the SL2 and the 50 cron.  I used the 50 Lux on my SL when I had it.  When comparing images from my old SL and my a7r iii and iv, there are colors and microcontrast that I can't achieve with the a7r series, even in post.  I know I'm losing some low light advantage by going with the 50 cron, but when I used the 50 cron-M with my SL the results were always fantastic.