Basic documentation

Pecole

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When an active collector, from 1970 to 1990, basic documentation "Leica" was quite scarce. I relied mainly on publications by my friends James Lager and Paul-Henry van Hasbroeck. Since I started putting my voluminous archives in order since the year 2000, things have changed and I have many sources - sometimes contradictory - at hand. Here are the ones I kept and mainly rely on.

First "historically" and by sentimental choice, the seven Lager's titles : the 3 first guides dated respectively 1975, 1978 and 1979, the voluminous "Leica Literature 1930-1960" of 1980, and the three large and profusely illustrated volumes "Cameras", "Lenses" and "Accessories". I have the "de luxe" edition of the last, under small box (with a few kind words by James, like on several others).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Then come the four guides by van Hasbroeck, the two first dating from 1978 and 1979.

Probably the most detailed and complete are the two editions of "Leica Collector's Guide" (1992 and 2004) by Dennis Laney. He is the only one - at least as far as I know -  quoting my Fontenelle Collection, the newsletter I published in 1980 and private conversations.

Then come the books published by the German Leica Historica association for its 10th and 25th aniversaries (1985 and 2000), the first one having a revised and augmented second edition in 1989. All these books were limited in publication, every one numbered and with named certificate.

And finally the von Einem-2 "10 Varianten der Leica IA"; the famous 1980 supplement to Viewfinder "A new look at the old 35"; Heinz von Lichem's "Das Leica R reflex system" (1979); one  (Nr 030) of the 300 copies of the "Aus Leica Druckschriften 1925-1943" published in 1979 by Friedrich-W. Rüttinger; and the incredibly "erudite" and scientific 610-pages "Leica Compendium" by Erwin Puts (2011).

What I discovered when going through these well documented sources, is that I had - without knowing - treasures in my collection : very early models, special variants, etc... The only "discovery" I was aware, notably because its origin was Belgium, my country at that time, was the two Leica 250 prototypes (I owned the chrome and first one, in totally original condition).

I will - if God allows - come back on some of these "treasures".

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I agree. Lager, Laney, van Hasbroeck, von Einem and some of the German Society books are essential. I would also mentions Lars Netopil who is much younger, but who has produced a splendid series of illustrated books on very rare Leicas. I have just done a second review of the 'Museum Leica' book by Lars for a collectors' group.

We are so lucky to have had so many great Leica historians over the years. The real icing on the cake would be the opening of the Leica Museum and Archives as a fully functioning resource for collectors. Hopefully, we will not have to wait too long for that.

William

• Like 1

I  was recently able to acquire a number of the books shown above from Roger Newton, son of the late collector John Newton, together with a bound volume of Leica News and a first edition of the Morgan & Lester book.

1 hour ago, Pyrogallol said:

I wish you the same pleasure as mine, when discovering the details of these books.

I  was recently able to acquire a number of the books shown above from Roger Newton, son of the late collector John Newton, together with a bound volume of Leica News and a first edition of the Morgan & Lester book.

5 hours ago, jc_braconi said:

Hello Pierre

You forget to name Gianni Rogliati who was one of the first in Europe to describe every models

And there is Sartorius as well. I have his books and the main one by Rogliatti. If I were pushed about the subject, I would say go for Laney first and then, if you can find them, treat yourself and go for the 3 big books by Lager.

William

• Like 1

Yes, like my (other) Meccano collecting world, Leica world is very well documented with surviving literature from all periods, supported by many excellent reference books that Pecole and other contributors above have shown us. This is a hobby that is rich with written resources for the enthusiast.

Also, unfortunately, it is pretty much a hobby for those with deep pockets ... 😉. However, it doesn't cost much to buy and USE older film Leicas, so we can all enjoy the quality products.

Modestly my documentation ;

• Like 3

And mine... then. Modestly as well, of course.

• Like 4

In response to Tri, and for the possible interest of other Leica enthusiasts ... yes, Meccano is the metal construction system ("Engineering for Boys") created by Frank Hornby in Liverpool about 1902, and patented in 1907. It is still made today, in France and by contract factories in China. Meccano is an interesting pastime for collectors like me, and of course for building models - its purpose. Apart from a wide range of outfits and parts made over the past 110 years, some very rare, there is a huge variety of literature to collect and study. While metal parts are rarely thrown out, vintage paper is harder to find.

Like Leica world, Meccano is a richly documented hobby, with many experts and historians contributing to club magazines and websites. Another enjoyable way to spend time and money 😊.