Which sd card for leica sl2

Caffespresso

• 2 months later...

As I am not using video I prefer a big card (512 gb) but only UHS I . For me this is more than fast enough and still affordable.  (less than 100 $ )  (In video lingo this means V30, in reality it is faster. I don't measure it, knock on wood.)

Video 4K/60P is probably the most demanding (if used in Full Frame mode). 5K is only 30P.   Somewhere I read video data rate up to 400 Mbit/s that's about 50 Mbyte/s or more. This sounds like V60 (V90 to be on the very safe side).

If you shoot photos at 20 fps, the amount of data is bigger, but you can do that only for a few seconds, then the buffer is full    (20x47Mp, 78 raws fill the 2Gb buffer. Somehow it does not work, I thought a raw file on disk is about 80 MB. But the size in the buffer must be smaller. 25 MB vs 80 MB, the truth lies in the middle somewhere.)

Anyway with V30 I can make photos easily (I usually do not 20 fps, or just in short bursts). V60 should be enough for video, V90 if you want to be on the safest side, probably overkill, even for video, but if you can afford it ...

Edited by caissa
  • Like 1

300 is just the peak read speed.  Is it V60 ? The guaranteed minimal write speed is important. Vnn.    For video not the burst rate, but the continuous rate is crucial.   For example “Class 10” only means 10 MB per second.

Newer cards are maybe only 170 MB/s peak read, but V30 which is 3x the minimal write speed for video 30 MB/s . I use such cards, not the older class 10 .

For video use V60, and don’t get blended by peak numbers.

Edited by caissa

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2019 at 5:50 AM, Caffespresso said:

Which sd card is recommended for leica sl2, considering high bitrate on video?

Thanks!

There is an SD Cards tab on the top of the page (right side). I use both, ProGrade V60  and Lexar Professional 2000x. Both work fine for me.

Edited by Alf62