How good is the 23 Summicron?

My "subjective" evaluation after almost 2 years with all 7 TL lenses is that the 23mm is sharper than the 18mm but not in the same category as the 35mm.
It has a nice size to it, and I end up using it a fair amount of time when I want a single camera/single lens that is unobtrusive and does well in low light.
If size/aperture were not a concern, I would favor the 11-23mm zoom lens.

I had the 35 cron on my M cameras, but it was never a favorite of mine, I quickly "upgraded" it to the 35mm lux FLE which I really liked.

Alain

• Like 3

I look at the 23 as an excellent lens, my first choice on my CL. I look at this subjectively and objectively. I don't have the other lenses named to compare, it does look as good as my 35 pre asph Summilux in middle fstops. The one complaint folks have had with it is while it focuses close below 18 inches it's widest fstop becomes f2.2 and at minimum focus approx 12 inches f2.8. because this happens at close distances it doesn't bother me.

LeChef is correct lens comparison are always subjective.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Le Chef said:

When you say "good" what do you mean by that? Good can be defined in multiple ways, some objective and some subjective.

More on, how it compares with the other mentioned lenses in terms of sharpness, look and over all image quality

I think of the TL primes as getting better as they move up in focal length. 

For me, the 18 seems serviceable but overpriced, except that it does provide a very small and easy way of carrying your camera. If you're content with zone focusing, the M 28 f/2.8 in any version is a terrific small all-rounder. I sort of lust for that.

The 23 definitely does great justice to being a Leica, but falls short of (say) a Cron or Lux M 35 on a full frame, or of course of the L Cron

The 35 is a fantastic lens. Could easily sit on an SL as a lighter (and less expensive) alternative to one of the truly great L lenses and few would notice any difference

The 60 macro competes with the R 90 macro, which is usually considered one of the best (if not the best) macros ever made

But comparing a lens to an M 35 Cron, well, that's just falling into a pit. the current ASPH version, which is a reference lens? or the great Mandler vv. 2 and 4 pre-ASPH? or the underestimated and therefore undervalued v. 3? 

Edited by bags27
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

I will have to say I haven't seen chromatic aberration on my 23, probably a lens copy difference. ACR also has a profile for the lens that may help.

The first 23mm TL I bought used had terrible CA.

I returned it, then about 6 months later, bought another copy which far far better, on par with other Leica lenses.

2 hours ago, FrozenInTime said:

The first 23mm TL I bought used had terrible CA.

I returned it, then about 6 months later, bought another copy which far far better, on par with other Leica lenses.

One of the photo teachers I had in college would buy 3 copies of a lens, test them over about a week, take the best one and return the other two. This was when an expensive lens was a thousand dollars or so. Can't say anyone could do this with say a new 50 APO Summicron. No matter which lens there is alway copy variation. One of the great thing about Leica is they keep it to a minimum.

17 hours ago, FrozenInTime said:

My 23 does have some CA and some barrel distortion.  They are corrected automatically in post-processing so have negligible impact except for a few sensitive subjects, where traces can still be seen.

Had a photo directly into the sun and had flare with the camera vertical, turned the camera horizontal and placed the sun off center no flare. Lens shade was not used. This was the only time I had a problem. Aperture was around f5.6. 

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com

I had the 23mm for a while but sold it for the TL 35mm 1.4. I miss the compact size and was more than happy with the image quality, I just prefer 50mm FOV. Out of focus areas really smooth but you're not getting particularly shallow depth of field. 

Wish there was a 35mm f1.8 or f2.0 for L mount