Very bright conditions

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, bags27 said:

Dan, how do you feel about variable NDF's? Easier to carry 1 filter rather than 2.

Mixed. I almost find them more trouble than they are worth and they’re more expensive last time I looked. I have a really nice combo polarizer and variable ND filter. It was VERY expensive. I now just carry 3-stop and  6-stop filters. I have a separate polarizer. This seems to work better for me. i just looked a Variable ND from Sing-Ray is $390. Thats my experience. Good ones are expensive. I just buy singles now. 

Edited by Leica Guy
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Not sure I understand the OP's question. Are you struggling with high contrast in sunny conditions? Then you need to expose on the bright parts of your image and brighten up the shadows in processing or take multiple exposures and do an HDR. Or do you need to use f/1.7 aperture in bright conditions? This is when an ND filter will help.

I like Breakthrough filters: neutral colors and always easy to remove.

Please consider to activate extended electronic shutter = you used the mechanical leaf shutter until 1/2000th then electronic shutter until 1/16000th. 
That way you can still shoot at f/1.7 at noon in the desert. 

Of course, if you need long exposure in day time. Please use ISO 50 and ND filters. 
However, please not that ISO 50 setting is really troublesome. The metering is not correct, because it will burn highlights. Even if the histogram told you the contrary. Please underexpose by a full stop. 

On 4/9/2020 at 4:26 PM, stuny said:

I like BW quality, but I've not tried their ND filters.

I have B+W -3EV and -6EV 60mm ND filters for my f/1.0 Noctilux.  These filters are outstanding and are highly recommended.

I'm planning on getting a 49mm set of the above for my Q2.

As for graduated ND filters, I like Singh Ray.  NiSi filters are excellent and are worth taking a look at, according to the reviews I have read.

Edited by Herr Barnack