SL2 with Profoto and HSS Flashes

spersky

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Technically it is really simple as the pins configuration of Nikon and Leica is identically located (physically), with Profoto agreeing, Leica only need to provide it’s existing cameras firmware update for the Leica cameras to recognise the Profoto transmitters and flash (A1) when it is mounted on Leica cameras.

I've also talked with Leica’s German customer service about Profoto TTL/HSS comparability. They are in contact with Profoto, but have nothing specific yet. 
They encouraged me to contact Profoto as well, to show them that there's a need for a Leica remote. 
So I also encourage you to drop Profoto a line, to show them that there are some folks out there, who are waiting for that Leica remote. 

I guess Hasselblad has been very wise to use the Nikon protocol on their X1D camera. Leica could (if patents allow) just use the Panasonic/MFT protocol, where a Profoto TTL remote already exists. 

11 hours ago, sebas_ said:

I've also talked with Leica’s German customer service about Profoto TTL/HSS comparability. They are in contact with Profoto, but have nothing specific yet. 
They encouraged me to contact Profoto as well, to show them that there's a need for a Leica remote. 
So I also encourage you to drop Profoto a line, to show them that there are some folks out there, who are waiting for that Leica remote. 

I guess Hasselblad has been very wise to use the Nikon protocol on their X1D camera. Leica could (if patents allow) just use the Panasonic/MFT protocol, where a Profoto TTL remote already exists. 

Same thoughts. I’ve pen to Profoto in the past and nothing positive about it. I just hope that with Godox actively sterling their share in A1 and smart phone lights, they’ll at least want to pay attention to Leica users.

I did not see Leica & Panasonic as really commuted to L mount alliance. If such, Panasonic and Leica should have a common flash protocol to gain economies of scale. These are the little things that get users frustrated. I’m kind of happy to use one MG10 and two SF60s now with SFC1 commander controlling all from my SL2. If I really want to use Profoto & Godox, I’ll just buy a S1R to go with all my Leica SL lenses. Leica just stand to loose.

22 hours ago, fotonutzz said:

Leica SL & SL2 already share the same hotshoe pins as Nikon.  As such, it should be easier to implement or adopt the Nikon flash protocols.

Not sure about the Leica S pins though.  

There are two parts to hot shoe communication. One is the physical layout of the pins (you already mentioned); the other is for the camera to recognise the flash or wireless remote trigger. Leica had to introduce a new firmware for the Leica SL when the Leica SFC1 commander was introduced later. Same goes for the Panasonic S1/R on Profoto Air remote although S1/R shares the hot shoe pin configuration with Olympus.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/29/2020 at 6:00 PM, gdclarkMiami said:

Has anyone used a SL2/Profoto B10 and a Sekonic SPEEDMASTER L-858D to measure flash duration...

I use SL and SL2 with Profoto B10 and B2. Didn't use light meter with them – just looked at the screen on the back of a camera. Usually correct f-stop and power on the flash is enough to figure out after 3 test shots, 4 – max.

Edited by earlyadopter

I use the ProFoto A1s and B2 with the SL via direct connection (A1s) and the AIR TTL-N . I use a Sekonic meter to get initial settings and then adjust as needed. Would love to have Leica TTL compatibly with ProFoto gear. I’ve written both Leica and ProFoto. Leica points to ProFoto and ProFoto doesn’t reply.

I have used the ProFoto gear with my Hasselblad X1Dmk2 with great success. TTL capability is useful for average work. For critical work TTL is just a starting point. 

Edited by Sanford
  • Like 2