SL2 with Profoto and HSS Flashes

spersky

6 hours ago, m9photo said:

Are you able to do HSS? 1/8000th?

No HSS, this is not a flash light, these are studio lights to start, but then Leica doesn’t support HSS anyway. Or maybe it does but in their own proprietary way no lights maker cares about. 
I can push my SL to 1/320sec, SL2 may work 1/400sec the shortest. 

1 hour ago, meerec said:

No HSS, this is not a flash light, these are studio lights to start, but then Leica doesn’t support HSS anyway. Or maybe it does but in their own proprietary way no lights maker cares about. 
I can push my SL to 1/320sec, SL2 may work 1/400sec the shortest. 

Yeah, I have Elinchrom ELB, unfortunately no High Speed Sync to stop fast action in motion.

On 12/18/2019 at 4:49 AM, DJGR33R said:

That’s great to know however it doesn’t help me. Flash now works when SL2 shutter is set to hybrid however LED continuously flashes before shutter is released. Any suggestions on how to eliminate LED flashing ?

It flashes because its "shorting out" on the Leica hotshot TTL pins. (that's why if you move it slightly the flashing sytops) use a Vello or similar single pin hotshoe . Profit A1s will work perfectly in manual and no flashing in PASM or PAS. The Vello also give you the SL2 missing PC connector for wired connections. ( and voltage protection) .... its $40 btw

Have someone actually tried the Profoto Air remote TTL olympus/panasonic version with the SL2? To test TTL and HSS or overall compatibility?

I have heard from two different sources in Norway working on two different camera stores that it as least supposed to work. One of them works at the Oslo Leica store, but he had not had the time to test it yet. He said he would come back with the test results early after New Years Eve and back at work again at the store. 

Then again, there was one third person working at Leica Store in Denmark who said that there was no compatibility with Panasonic stuff because of different electronic wiring in the Leica hot shoe.

But if someone can actually test it out?

I am looking into my first big flash investment, and really like the Profoto stuff. But would like HSS for action/sports. For most of my work NDs and just manual would work, but it is quite expensive stuff and no TTL or HSS.
Looking at the A1X, B1X and B10 at the moment.

6 hours ago, homiebrotha said:

Have someone actually tried the Profoto Air remote TTL olympus/panasonic version with the SL2? To test TTL and HSS or overall compatibility?

I have heard from two different sources in Norway working on two different camera stores that it as least supposed to work. One of them works at the Oslo Leica store, but he had not had the time to test it yet. He said he would come back with the test results early after New Years Eve and back at work again at the store. 

Then again, there was one third person working at Leica Store in Denmark who said that there was no compatibility with Panasonic stuff because of different electronic wiring in the Leica hot shoe.

But if someone can actually test it out?

I am looking into my first big flash investment, and really like the Profoto stuff. But would like HSS for action/sports. For most of my work NDs and just manual would work, but it is quite expensive stuff and no TTL or HSS.
Looking at the A1X, B1X and B10 at the moment.

Maybe you should also have a look at PrioLite. They have a dedicated transmitter for Leica and can offer sync up to 1/8000 s. It is a little bit different from HSS (called hot-sync), but very reliable and easy to setup. But it only works with their own products. But if you buy everything new, then it is no problem.

https://fstoppers.com/originals/any-speed-any-power-fstoppers-reviews-priolite-hot-sync-strobes-171780

https://www.prioliteshop.com/2017/04/14/priolite-hot-sync-ab-sofort-für-leica/         https://www.prioliteshop.com/hot-sync/

Edited by caissa

20 hours ago, m9photo said:

Those I believe are intended for the 4/3rd system, I could be wrong though.

Supported camera models from the Profoto website under Air Remot TTL olympus/panasonic and tech specs:

Olympus OM-D E-M1 II 
Olympus OM-D E-M5 II 
Olympus Pen-F 
Panasonic DC-S1R 
Panasonic DC-S1 
Panasonic DC-GH5 
Panasonic DC-GH5S 
Panasonic DC-G9

17 hours ago, caissa said:

Maybe you should also have a look at PrioLite. They have a dedicated transmitter for Leica and can offer sync up to 1/8000 s. It is a little bit different from HSS (called hot-sync), but very reliable and easy to setup. But it only works with their own products. But if you buy everything new, then it is no problem.

https://fstoppers.com/originals/any-speed-any-power-fstoppers-reviews-priolite-hot-sync-strobes-171780

https://www.prioliteshop.com/2017/04/14/priolite-hot-sync-ab-sofort-für-leica/         https://www.prioliteshop.com/hot-sync/

Thanks for the heads up. I will look into them. Anyone tried Priolite? It is also German made by what I could read, and that usually means well made.

But they look way more bulky, but then again a bit cheaper and they also have 1000 W as well. The Profoto of course looks way more sexy, but that is not the most important of course. The sad thing would be if they suddenly make a Leica remote after all.. Hmm.

4 hours ago, homiebrotha said:

Thanks for the heads up. I will look into them. Anyone tried Priolite? It is also German made by what I could read, and that usually means well made.

But they look way more bulky, but then again a bit cheaper and they also have 1000 W as well. The Profoto of course looks way more sexy, but that is not the most important of course. The sad thing would be if they suddenly make a Leica remote after all.. Hmm.

What's more important is the support system. Profoto and Elinchrom here in USA are well known and easy to reach out. Not sure on Priolite, even if they're well made seems like not everyone knows about it. 

On 12/28/2019 at 11:27 PM, homiebrotha said:

Supported camera models from the Profoto website under Air Remot TTL olympus/panasonic and tech specs:

Olympus OM-D E-M1 II 
Olympus OM-D E-M5 II 
Olympus Pen-F 
Panasonic DC-S1R 
Panasonic DC-S1 
Panasonic DC-GH5 
Panasonic DC-GH5S 
Panasonic DC-G9

Panasonic flash protocol is totally not compatible with Leica.

1 hour ago, homiebrotha said:

To bad, but the way it is.

Anyone who tried the priolite? Experience? Can see they have an ultra now which seems lighter and smaller, more like Profoto size.

Why not consider the 165W Nissin MG that is fully compatible with the Leica SFC1 commander? You get full TTL/HSS. 

Because I want 500W or more. And it seems like Priolite would work just as good minus TTL which I do not need. 
I would love to go for Profoto. I find it very strange that expensive cameras such as Leica cameras does not work with one of the most common flashes and regarded as one of the best option for professional work, as Profoto flashes are. I am though still considering going for Profoto since I do not nee HSS that often, and even thing else works well. Since it does not seem like there are that much knowledge or experience working with Priolite on the net.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, homiebrotha said:

Because I want 500W or more. And it seems like Priolite would work just as good minus TTL which I do not need. 
I would love to go for Profoto. I find it very strange that expensive cameras such as Leica cameras does not work with one of the most common flashes and regarded as one of the best option for professional work, as Profoto flashes are. I am though still considering going for Profoto since I do not nee HSS that often, and even thing else works well. Since it does not seem like there are that much knowledge or experience working with Priolite on the net.

The logic is the other way round. 

I have contacted Profoto, their reply states clearly that they are not interested.

There are not so many Leica camera users compared to Canon, Nikon, Sony. What makes it worse is that most Leica users say they only shoot with ambient light. It translates to:

1 Few professional shooters- Pros need to get job done not on their time line, so they need to create the right lighting conditions when ambient light is not favourable.

2 Mostly hobbyists who are afraid to explore using flash & strobe.

As a business, no establish lighting supplier will create for such a small volume of users. Even Metz and Nissin only create a separate protocol to support Leica selling at a premium to justify the low volume.

Only way is for Leica to join Panasonic on a common protocol to provide substantial volume to attract lighting suppliers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, sillbeers15 said:

The logic is the other way round. 

I have contacted Profoto, their reply states clearly that they are not interested.

There are not so many Leica camera users compared to Canon, Nikon, Sony. What makes it worse is that most Leica users say they only shoot with ambient light. It translates to:

1 Few professional shooters- Pros need to get job done not on their time line, so they need to create the right lighting conditions when ambient light is not favourable.

2 Mostly hobbyists who are afraid to explore using flash & strobe.

As a business, no establish lighting supplier will create for such a small volume of users. Even Metz and Nissin only create a separate protocol to support Leica selling at a premium to justify the low volume.

Only way is for Leica to join Panasonic on a common protocol to provide substantial volume to attract lighting suppliers.

Thanks for the insight. Then I guess the way to go is actually either Priolite and have HotSync aka their Version of HSS and an actual Leica Remote, or go Profoto and use the normal airremote and go without HSS and use ND filtres.

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2019 at 9:14 AM, DJGR33R said:

Thanks, indeed that was the problem. I had been using the Air Remote TTL-N but when I switch to the regular Air Remote, it works fine. Thanks 

So to verify the Air Remote TTL-N will not work even when switched to Manual mode and only the Air Remote works?

On 11/9/2019 at 7:20 AM, spersky said:

I am blown away by the Leica SL2, but I will need at least manual a trigger for my Profoto wireless flash system, and I would also like HSS.  I really could care less about TTL which I rarely use.  Does anyone know if the Leica SL2 is compatible with the Profoto AIR TTL remote.

This was announced NOV 6th from Panasonic for the S1R BTW, but I am not sure that this will apply to the SL2.

2. Expanded compatibility with Profoto wireless transmitters

・Ability to use Profoto wireless transmitters “Air Remote TTL-O/P” and “Profoto Connect-O/P”, enabling wireless connection and control of external strobes for professional shooting.

* All functions may not be available depending on the situation.

I use my Profoto Nikon. Air Remote on. Manual with my SL2s Use a Vello single pin hotshot (BH) no flashing works perfect. Never use TTL even on my Nikons.., Useless

On 12/18/2019 at 4:49 AM, DJGR33R said:

That’s great to know however it doesn’t help me. Flash now works when SL2 shutter is set to hybrid however LED continuously flashes before shutter is released. Any suggestions on how to eliminate LED flashing ?

Vello single pin hotshot