SL2 with Profoto and HSS Flashes

spersky

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am blown away by the Leica SL2, but I will need at least manual a trigger for my Profoto wireless flash system, and I would also like HSS.  I really could care less about TTL which I rarely use.  Does anyone know if the Leica SL2 is compatible with the Profoto AIR TTL remote.

This was announced NOV 6th from Panasonic for the S1R BTW, but I am not sure that this will apply to the SL2.

2. Expanded compatibility with Profoto wireless transmitters

・Ability to use Profoto wireless transmitters “Air Remote TTL-O/P” and “Profoto Connect-O/P”, enabling wireless connection and control of external strobes for professional shooting.

* All functions may not be available depending on the situation.

Currently only PrioLite offers a transmitter for Leica that allows sync up to 1/8000 second with their hot sync strobes. AFAIK the other big flash providers have no offering for Leica.   https://fstoppers.com/originals/any-speed-any-power-fstoppers-reviews-priolite-hot-sync-strobes-171780

Elinchrome has no trigger for Leica. But if you take the Skyport for Nikon, it is maybe also working with Leica SL and with elinchrome lights. But no guarantee, it needs to be tried. (No TTL, manual only)

Edited by caissa
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, meerec said:

I use Profoto Connect to trigger Profoto A1 and B1 lights no problems. Love it. 

That’s great to know however it doesn’t help me. Flash now works when SL2 shutter is set to hybrid however LED continuously flashes before shutter is released. Any suggestions on how to eliminate LED flashing ?

3 hours ago, DJGR33R said:

That’s great to know however it doesn’t help me. Flash now works when SL2 shutter is set to hybrid however LED continuously flashes before shutter is released. Any suggestions on how to eliminate LED flashing ?

That is very strange I trigger my profoto b2, b10 and A1 without any problem (of course no TTL or HSS, just manual till 1/250). And have done it too many times with SL. Never had any problem or ever missed one single shot.

What kind of profoto trigger do you use? I use the normal "Air Remote", not of course the TTL ones because those won't work properly. 

27 minutes ago, DJGR33R said:

Haha, thanks. I didn’t get a manual only a quick start guide. Should there have been a manual in the box ?

Sorry for not being clear, thanks mediafotografie for explaining it.

No manual in the box, only available on Leica's website:

https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-SL/Leica-SL2/Downloads