SL2 firmware providing hints for future Q2 updates?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After reading the reviews and having some short hands on time in Leica's London store I’m very impressed by the improved menu UI in the SL2. Specifically the new status screen shown when you press the menu button once. With the Q2 having the same menu button layouts as the SL2 I don’t see why this couldn’t be added to the Q2 in a firmware update. Also, now that they removed hardware GPS from the SL2 it feels like it’ll be higher priority for Leica to actually get the geotracking through the Fotos app to work.

What does everyone else think?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jbripley
  • Like 4

I don’t think this particular change is likely. While Leica is generally trying to unify buttons and some menu structures, the rest of the controls are still pretty different between models.  Shutter speed, aperture, and ISO are all manual controls on the Q/Q2/M with physical markings.  Not so on the SL/SL2/CL/TL.  

Am 9.11.2019 um 05:40 schrieb IronValkyrie:

I was thinking the same! I would love to see the UI redesign making its way to the Q2. Is this something Leica is likely to do? With their new models pointing toward the unified control scheme, I hope that would indicate a willingness to adapt the new software improvements to the existing models.  

Hope and wait it"s may happen. Should be a nice improvement.

Greatings Hans

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 5:20 PM, Jared said:

I don’t think this particular change is likely. While Leica is generally trying to unify buttons and some menu structures, the rest of the controls are still pretty different between models.  Shutter speed, aperture, and ISO are all manual controls on the Q/Q2/M with physical markings.  Not so on the SL/SL2/CL/TL.  

At minimum I think the overview the screen gives you is useful and also provides more user friendly way to switch to video at minimum. As for changing settings, allowing third stop changes to shutter speed in aperture priority mode, change white balance or fast way to get into bracketing etc. I think would be great.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can see that, but I doubt they will head that way for the current Q.  If they overview screen were reference only, I don’t think it would be worth the extra button press.  Most of that info is already available in the EVF.

The switching to video option would be nice, but not enough to justify the complexity of another screen.

I just don’t see them going that way for the Q.  Now, the CL and, particularly, TL are different.