SL2 and adapters

Daedalus2000

21 minutes ago, thighslapper said:

All L alliance stuff should be interchangeable.

The Novoflex AF adapters for Nikon and Canon have never worked very reliably and it would frankly be a miracle if things improved with the SL2. :rolleyes:

I hope so, because there are a couple of Canon lenses that I like to use and they work ok-ish with the Novoflex.

Edited by Daedalus2000

10 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

I tried the S to SL adapter on the SL2, and it worked fine. I did not know if it focused faster on the SL2, as I did not use an SL, but it did focus faster than I had imagined it might. It is not up to native speeds of the SL lenses, surely, but it should work quite fine for AFs use. 

Great thanks

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 1:46 AM, thighslapper said:

All L alliance stuff should be interchangeable.

The Novoflex AF adapters for Nikon and Canon have never worked very reliably and it would frankly be a miracle if things improved with the SL2. :rolleyes:

The non alliance lenses will never have proper functioning AF due to the lack of DFD data base.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/8/2019 at 11:28 AM, Daedalus2000 said:

Does anyone know if the Novoflex EOS/SL and the Leica S to SL adapters will continue to work with the SL2?

Also, if anyone had the chance to test them, do they see any improvement in the AF  performance? Thanks

It should be, as no changes on the L mount.

22 hours ago, Daedalus2000 said:

You would think so, but given that the Novoflex adapter does not seem to work that well with a lot of Canon lenses, it is not given that it will continue to work with the SL2. 

I'm not referring to the AF performance, it's more to usable of the EF lenses itself. Manual focus should work as always.

Am ‎11‎.‎11‎.‎2019 um 20:50 schrieb m9photo:

I'm not referring to the AF performance, it's more to usable of the EF lenses itself. Manual focus should work as always.

That is my point too. Lenses I use via this adapter with the SL are the macro lenses 100 mm and 180 mm and the very special MP-E 65 which has no AF at all. In these cases the AF is not of big importance but the other usability of the lenses on the SL 2 including the possibility to change aperture.

Am ‎11‎.‎11‎.‎2019 um 15:19 schrieb caissa:

What about MC-21 and SL2 ? Working or not ?

According to Leica the adapters are not part of the L - Alliance agreement, which is really a shame. Regarding the Novolflex Adapter for the Canon EF lenses together with the SL 2 I have contacted today both Leica and Novoflex . Hope for answer asap - because this is a major point for me if I will buy a SL 2 or not or eventually a Pana Sr1. For the Pana it is said that the Novoflex adapter does work with it with exception of the autofocus, but for me that would be  no major issue. In contrary the possibility to change the aperture is a must.

Edited by HeinzX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I see nothing about the Novoflex adapters can have their firmware upgraded and looking at the design I am wondering if the AF is driven by firmware in the camera rather than the adapter. Anyone knows if this is the case? 

1 hour ago, HeinzX said:

According to Leica the adapters are not part of the L - Alliance agreement, which is really a shame. Regarding the Novolflex Adapter for the Canon EF lenses together with the SL 2 I have contacted today both Leica and Novoflex . Hope for answer asap - because this is a major point for me if I will buy a SL 2 or not or eventually a Pana Sr1. For the Pana it is said that the Novoflex adapter does work with it with exception of the autofocus, but for me that would be  no major issue. In contrary the possibility to change the aperture is a must.

I've used both the Novoflex and the Sigma MC-21 on the S1R with Canon EF lenses, and also use the Novoflex EF-SL adapter on the SL601 with the Canon 400mm f4 - the MC-21doesn't work at all on the SL.   Based on my experience, there's no question that the best all round combination for Canon lenses is the MC-21 with the S1R. It's a more seamless user experience. See my post below.

Edited by michali
  • Like 1

Here's my subjective user experience on the MC-21 & Novoflex adapters on the S1R & SL 601 with the Canon 400mm f4 lens. I don't think it will be much different on the SL2.

On the S1R with the Sigma MC-21 adapter, AF works well & locks on reasonably quickly (my score= 9 out of 10). It slows down a little with the Canon 1.4X III converter (my score= 8 out of 10) IQ remains very good.  Even with the Canon 2X III converter IQ remains good, however AF is noticeably slower (my score= 7 out of 10).

On the SL I use the Novoflex EF-SL adapter. AF works OK, (my score= 8 out of 10), not as good as on the S1R,  it hunts and sometimes needs a little help by turning the focusing ring. AF slows down substantially when you throw in the tele-converters. Again, AF performance is not as good as on the S1R.

Overall on the S1R you should be pleased with the Canon's performance, I don't think you can go wrong.

Personally I'm not really that bothered about AF, sometimes it can be more frustrating, but it's nice to have. I've always used MF lenses, so for me it's more about the ability to get the close up shot when I need it. Leica don't offer anything comparable, not even a tele converter for the VE90-280mm L lens 😡.

I understand that for some people AF may not be important, but the Novoflex is an AF adapter and I bought it to use it with Canon AF lenses. If I am going to go manual, I prefer to use my Leica M lenses (I do not shot telephoto lenses). With regards to firmware updates from Novoflex, I would not hold my breath, they did not seem to care that many Canon lenses did not work with the SL....

Like many of you folks, most of my images are from manual focussing.  I have a lot of Canon EF lenses which I would like to use on my SL.

It is truly a shame that Sigma's MC-21 is not usable for the SL when I decide to use AF.  I hear great things from the Pana users.  Novoflex is not my answer.

I collected some M lenses which I use on my Canon mirrorless with great success -- then I bought the SL to compliment my Q.

Here is a frugal answer for Canon EF lenses, used manually, on the SL: under $20 on e$ay from China.  Being a passive device (empty tube) the lenses requiring power will not work for those functions.  This means that you will always be shooting wide open and focus by wire (Canon's STM) will not focus.  No Image Stabilization either.

Mine is on order for delivery in a week or two.  I'll update this thread after I try to use it.

Look for "EOS-L/T Adapter For Canon EOS EF Lens To Leica LT/SL" on e$ay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EOS-L-T-Adapter-For-Canon-EOS-EF-Lens-To-Leica-LT-SL-Type-701-Mirrorless-Camera/153387170578?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

You can avoid to shoot always with wide open aperture with this kind of adapters, if you have an old Canon camera or a friend, which has one. Procedure is to use the lens on the Canon, press the depth in field preview button and release the lens. The aperture you choose before will be fixed. And you can use always this one together with the adapter on the SL. But it is not possible to change the aperture afterwards, only by repeating the same procedure again.