135 apo /Very sharp lens

Guest guy_mancuso

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I shot another round of Corporate portraits yesterday with the 135 apo at F8 and i was pretty far back for a portrait on this shot but look at the 100 percent detail on the 135mm , no sharpening at all here. This is one sharp lens. Sorry boring stuff but this is what the client wants.

When I shot closer there was nice OOF area's that resemble my old 180mm F2 shots with the DMR so this looks like a go to lens for portraits now

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest s.m.e.p.

Hello Guy,

how do you like those pictures:

DrSchw04.jpg

jpg - out of the box

DrSchw04original.jpg

100%

Due to copyright reasons the pictures will be / have been deleted.

Regards from munich, Stefan

Is there a way to code this lens? Does it need to even be coded? What viewfinder are you using if any? I agree that its a very fine lens which was a favorite of mine on my M6 & M7. Would like to use it again if only i can figure out a reliable way to frame my shot without a viewfinder.

Beautiful shots with micro detail.

Herb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use the 135 frequently and haven't felt the need to code it. I use the IR filter to correct the magenta effect on black synthetics. I use the 90 mm viefinder and the rangefinder rectangle to determine the view. One can estimate fairly accurately, and there is instant replay. DR

Guest guy_mancuso
Is there a way to code this lens? Does it need to even be coded? What viewfinder are you using if any? I agree that its a very fine lens which was a favorite of mine on my M6 & M7. Would like to use it again if only i can figure out a reliable way to frame my shot without a viewfinder.

Herb

Here is what i did i sent it to Leica NJ and had the rear mount removed , they replaced it with a 90mm mount so it brings up the 90 framelines than they coded it for me for a 135 2.8 lens since there is no code for the Apo. So now the 90mm frame lines helps me compose easier. Just between the focus patch and the 90 frame lines. i like this setup very much.

Cost 125 dollars

Another discussion of the merits of this lens at http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/29540-m8-135-apo-telyt-rocks.html

Went for a walk this morning in Dunham Park, Cheshire. VERY bright early morning light with extreme contrasts. The other thing for me is the shadow detail you get with the M7 combined with the qualities of this lens is a winner...

Guest guy_mancuso

Check this one , it is starting to cut my eyes . i really nailed focus here

Herb

Think coding isn't necessary (until you want to have corresponding datas in EXIF - but think Leica will not have preconditioned 135mm data in FW available to be written to EXIF if wanted). There is no big vignetting to be corrected and also (needed and applied) IR filtering will not effect in color-shifting corner problems as it is fact for the wide angle lenses.

Viewfinder is still the week point (but I feel not that uncomfortable at all without it) if you like it 100% perfekt. It might be an acceptable compromise to press the framing-switch to the 90mm position and expect real size in between 90mm frame and focusing patch. Sounds not that perfect but it is a guideline to stay with (my feeling). And at least Leicas frame lines arn't that accurate at all to fix always the object exact inside ...;)

But another positive thing is the magnifier 1,25x to be added to cameras viewfinder. Helps to focus better. Still some "workload" if you did wide angle before. For me it worked good enough without - but nice to know there is some help if needed :D

Michael

I too am an avid fan of this lens. I'ts no trouble at all to hold the frameline preview lever with one finger so that the 90mm frameline comes up while shooting. No it's not exact but it gets you close and with a little practice you hardly notice it at all. It's practically as accurate as the 24 and 35mm framelines are anyway.

As metioned in other threads, you can also hold down the lens mount lock button and keep turning the lens past it's normal stopping position. Guess what? The 90mm frameline comes up and you don't have to hold the frameline preview lever with your finger anymore.

I do need, however, feel the need to use a tripod with this lens "most" of the time. I get a lot of misses (focus) because of my age I guess. Not as steady as I used to be. But when your 'dead-on' this lens is unbelievable. It's also way underpriced on the used market (as compared to the other latest Leica lenses) - I guess due to it's lack of M8 support. The 135 apo is one of the best lenses Leica has made from a technical standpoint, and in my opinion deserves a lot more popularity as the 2nd or 3rd priority lens to purchase (especially at the price).

Hi John

You're that right! I forgot to mention ( but you did it instead ;) ) if you like to see the real quality of this lens an tripot seams to be obligatory! As well as carefully triggering (I often use the short pretimer). Running the lens 'by hand' will always shake some photons over the border - even at high shutterspeed :D

Good to know what could be possible with M8 ... :)

Michael

Hi Guys

Are we talking about the APO-TELYT-M f/3.4/ 135 mm here on a M8. What does this make the lens, is it nearly 180mm. If so why have Leica said it cannot be used on M8. I'm really confused.

TomR

Yep that's the one. I don't understand why Leica refused to code or support it. It's a lovely lens, and the effective 180 is a joy. OK - it's not as easy to work with as an autofocus 180 / 200, but it is more than useable and it's so small it's no hassle to carry with you. I've been using this + a 28 as my walk about combination. The shots here The English Lake District, 2007 are a testament to what you get with this combination.

Yep that's the one. I don't understand why Leica refused to code or support it. It's a lovely lens, and the effective 180 is a joy.

I am actually pretty p****d off at Leica for this, as I sold mine as a result of the pre-release documentation. Then it turned out there was nothing wrong with it.:mad:

Guest guy_mancuso

Have to say Jaap it really did seem in the early days like there was no way to use this lens. I certainly disagree now, it works very nice although a challenging lens to work but the results are certainly worth it.

In my case, Guy, I found out it was fine on the Photokina. Just a week after ffordes sold the one I sent them on commission...

Not that I have any complainte about the Tele-Elmarit I have now. I normal use I am unable to see any difference with the Apo, and it earned me a few hundred Euro in the end. But still.......