Can the new SL compete or even sostitute in some fields the S?

Vip

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/12/2019 at 11:30 AM, ynp said:

The more I thank about that the more I cannot justify owning a regular mirrorless camera such as an SL2 for everyday photography. ...

I was of the same mind, until I saw all the IBIS gushing happening across the street in the SL forum.  With the S to L and M to L adapters, all your lenses can get a new life with IBIS!  The body is only a lens worth basically, why not try?  The only risk I see is more GAS as SL zooms will become an option available neither on M nor S, really...  The 24-90 sounds like a remix of an S lens, with its 1150g weight and 82mm filter...  All those kids whining how heavy it is and how much of a commitment there ought to be to travel with one would make the muscular elders here laugh!:)

C'mon imagine the Noctilux 0.95 with IBIS.  We can see zombies with it!

Edited by setuporg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, setuporg said:

I was of the same mind, until I saw all the IBIS gushing happening across the street in the SL forum.  With the S to L and M to L adapters, all your lenses can get a new life with IBIS!  The body is only a lens worth basically, why not try?  The only risk I see is more GAS as SL zooms will become an option available neither on M nor S, really...  The 24-90 sounds like a remix of an S lens, with its 1150g weight and 82mm filter...  All those kids whining how heavy it is and how much of a commitment there ought to be to travel with one would make the muscular elders here laugh!:)

That is my mindset. If I don't have M or S, I won't consider SL2, as simple as that. I will always keep my M system, either two M or a M and a SLx. I choose latter. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, setuporg said:

Maybe you are right and the SL2 is a Nice platform to use my 3 S lenses and my numerous M lenses. At the same time I am not interested in the Sl lenses. They are most probably perfect and the best in the world, but for $6,000? Call me cheap but I don’t want to get into another expensive system once again. 

I will be waiting for the S3 and if it’s too expensive, I will supplement my S2p with an 007  and work with the things I already have. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ynp said:

They are most probably perfect and the best in the world, but for $6,000? Call me cheap but I don’t want to get into another expensive system once again. 

The Summicrons, at least currently in US, are typically $5k (or a bit less/more), which is relatively conservative by Leica premium lens standards.  The M50 APO Summicron, by comparison, is $8k.  Your wallet will suffer in both cases, but Leica clearly worked to make the SL system priced to better sell in one of the more competitive market segments.  Standardization of barrel size, lens parts and design elements was a smart move economically, even if not necessarily ergonomically (the SL 35 Summicron, as Karbe states, could have been much smaller).

Jeff

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

The Summicrons, at least currently in US, are typically $5k (or a bit less/more), which is relatively conservative by Leica premium lens standards.  The M50 APO Summicron, by comparison, is $8k.  Your wallet will suffer in both cases, but Leica clearly worked to make the SL system priced to better sell in one of the more competitive market segments.  Standardization of barrel size, lens parts and design elements was a smart move economically, even if not necessarily ergonomically (the SL 35 Summicron, as Karbe states, could have been much smaller).

Jeff

Hi Jeff. 

It’s not the size and weight, I am still capable to carry them all. 

Mostly it’s my reluctance to get a new system camera. I have had the SL1 for a while and used it with my S, M , Ltm and R lenses. Admittedly,  It was the time when there were no Summicrons or anything Panasonic. I sold it and bought a svelte CL and I am happy. 

Re Only $5k , it’s for the USA market, in Russia its $6k for a Summicron, if I buy it locally I pay all the taxes and customs duties. It’s expensive for this Russian. 🙂 

Best,

Yevgeny 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ynp said:

Re Only $5k , it’s for the USA market, in Russia its $6k for a Summicron, if I buy it locally I pay all the taxes and customs duties. It’s expensive for this Russian. 🙂 

I was only making relative price comparisons.  Presumably, then, the M50 APO Summicron is $9k+ in Russia.  The SL lenses are a RELATIVE bargain, given performance, by Leica standards. I only mentioned the size/standardization issue as a means to moderate what could have been even higher costs.

Jeff

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Leica clearly worked to make the SL system priced to better sell in one of the more competitive market segments.  Standardization of barrel size, lens parts and design elements was a smart move economically, even if not necessarily ergonomically (the SL 35 Summicron, as Karbe states, could have been much smaller).

From the specs alone the SL zooms look like repurposed S lenses, and from the look all the lenses do too.  The S interviews tell the story of it being the testbed of the AF at Leica, that's why they abandoned the R line as they could not fit the AF in it.  Apparently they learned well and got the improvements into SL and Q lines, and made them cheaper at scale.  It would be great to see some of the learning return into the S line that begat them all.

3 hours ago, ynp said:

It’s expensive for this Russian. 🙂 

This Russian moved to the US long ago and that Russian is welcome too!  Also the West Coast provides for great landscape opportunities.:)

Also the S seems affordable to this Russian:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by setuporg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 17 Stunden schrieb setuporg:

From the specs alone the SL zooms look like repurposed S lenses, and from the look all the lenses do too.  The S interviews tell the story of it being the testbed of the AF at Leica, that's why they abandoned the R line as they could not fit the AF in it.  Apparently they learned well and got the improvements into SL and Q lines, and made them cheaper at scale.  It would be great to see some of the learning return into the S line that begat them all.

Lothar, who was the leader of the S-Team before he retired, told me that they are not satisfied with some parts and that's the reason of the delay. I hope this are good news so maybe we see a really improved S3...

• Like 1

On 12/17/2019 at 1:06 PM, Jan1985 said:

Lothar, who was the leader of the S-Team before he retired, told me that they are not satisfied with some parts and that's the reason of the delay. I hope this are good news so maybe we see a really improved S3...

Now that the SL2 has a Maestro III processor, they probably also want to build that into the S3.

On 12/13/2019 at 8:02 AM, ynp said:

For me my CL alongside the m9 works better for vacations . It’s a lighter setup and I usually print up to A2. 

The CL is lacking some features, among others IBIS and the excellent EVF. So SL2 with a small TL lens offers more to me on holidays at little additional weight. Then I have the same camera for all occasions (work or holiday).

Edited by caissa
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 7:29 PM, setuporg said:

This Russian moved to the US long ago and that Russian is welcome too!  Also the West Coast provides for great landscape opportunities.:)

Also the S seems affordable to this Russian:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Isn’t it weird to take photographs with sunglasses on ?   😎

Edited by caissa
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, caissa said:

Isn’t it weird to take photographs with sunglasses on ?   😎

I always use them in daylight...whether shooting or not...sensitivity to bright light, and prescription corrects for astigmatism and distance.  Adding an EVF based SL2, however, required elimination of polarization.

I’m also the only one in my family, at my age, not needing cataract surgery.  Eye doc says sunglasses have been a significant deterrent.😎

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1