Image quality comparison between Hasselblad X1D II and Leica SL2

biswasg

48 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

Thank you.  Interesting.  I found this discussion on the topic: https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=115890.0

Yes, most of the information in that thread is correct. Note that it also explains why it is no use to have more (16) than 14 bits of colour depth. The remaining two bits will only record noise, which will be discarded by Photoshop anyway (despite having  a 16-bit conversion in ACR, but that is for other reasons)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So if several medium format sensors are actually 14 bit but then process the data through interpolation to 16 bit - why don’t 35mm full frame (with 14 bit sensors) do the same? Can exceptional microcontrast in SL Summicron lenses help get more colour depth from “just” 14 bits?Maybe I should stop - the discussion is reminiscent of whether Leica’s 12 bit on the M 246 made a visible difference vs the 14 bit on the MM1!

14 hours ago, Tailwagger said:

I'm coming around to the conclusion that in this segment, at least, the lens (and the mammal behind it) is the determining factor.  Regardless, from an IQ standpoint, there is likely to be so little between these two in general shooting circumstance, that it strikes me as, at best, a waste of time to worry about it... let alone decide which system to buy into on the basis of it.  Better to consider the availability, quality and cost of glass.

I find myself agreeing with this point of view.

I have to confess to having limited experience with medium format and no experience with X1D. For that reason alone I wouldn't blame anyone for dismissing my views out of hand.

That said, for what it's worth I lean in favor of the argument that a sensor to sensor comparison "alone" sort of misses the point even if ones goal is to create images with best possible IQ and print very large prints. The number of "controlled" circumstances in which the sensor alone will be the determining factor seem rather limited. 

The user interface of the camera, the quantity and quality of available glass, IBIS, camera handling speed, whether one is shooting handheld or using a tripod, length of the hike to arrive at shooting location (assuming one is involved) and a myriad of other factors are likely to play a far greater role in determining the quality of the output, and indeed as others have pointed out whether or not the shot ever gets taken in the first place. 

For most photographers and most shooting situations even when needing to produce large prints SL2 is likely to win out if "practical" considerations are fully taken into account.

Those few photographers and very specific controlled circumstances where medium format will noticeably outperform SL2 are such that the photographer in question doesn't even need to read these posts or ask for advice. Those select photographers "know" exactly how to extract the result they are seeking and they know that medium format is the best way for them to achieve the optimum result in their admittedly limited "use cases". 

The SL2 seems to deliver so much of the value that was previously thought of as the exclusive preserve of "medium" format  that it is  narrowing the number of instances where medium format is clearly the better tool.

Just a personal perspective. Regarding the finer points about sensor differences I  defer to those with the far deeper knowledge about medium format, which includes a awful lot of folks on this forum.

• Like 4

On 11/12/2019 at 4:22 PM, FlashGordonPhotography said:

I am fortunate not to have to make that choice so I will have the X1D for the files and the S1R/SL2 for the flexibility.

Gordon

I am in exactly the same boat. Having used the S1R for a while now I didn’t hesitate to order as SL2. As good as the XCD lenses are, and there is nothing to complain about with any that I own, I slightly prefer the way the Leica lenses draw and I love the flexibility of the SL system, including the ability to use small and fast M lenses and the wonderful native glass. But while it’s getting long in the tooth and is slow, the X1D’s sensor still produces the best IQ of any camera I’ve had the pleasure of using, which is astonishing when you consider how compact the XCD with 45 lens is. 

I’ll be keeping a foot in each camp for now and hope both systems stay true to their current paths. 

20 hours ago, otto.f said:

I don’t know but I thought the 16 bit has more to do with richness and depth of color. The smoothness comes from bigger pixels, bigger sensor. You can also put 24Mp on an APS-C sensor as in the CL but that results in a more ‘digital’ look. If you put 47Mp on a 30x45mm sensor it will always be smoother than on a 24x36 sensor. As far as I know.

The X1D (which I own and love) is not really a 16 bit camera in any event.  While the files are 16 bit, the chip itself is not.  If the chip isn’t generating 16 bit data, not really a 16 bit result.  I can’t take an 8 bit JPG, convert it to a 16 bit TIFF, and expect to get all the benefits of a raw file.  Thanks kinda what Hasselblad is claiming when they say it’s a 16 bit camera.  Take that one with a big grain of salt as a marketing claim with little actual improvement to back it up.

6 hours ago, Chaemono said:

It adds to processing requirement and heat.  No wonder the X1D is so slow.  We are talking 1/3fps.  Not sure how much faster the Mark II is.  The CPU would be too strained otherwise, I guess. 

The speed of the X1D (both versions) and the Fuji equivalents is limited primarily by the chip itself, not the processing afterwards.  The chip has a 300ms write speed per frame, so 3fps or so is about the maximum regardless of DSP capabilities.  You wrote ⅓ FPS.  I assume you meant 3fps.  My X1D Mk 1, in practice, could achieve about 2fps and the Mk II version I own is about 3fps.  The Fuji’s are a touch faster and come close to the theoretical limit for the chip.  None of them are action cameras, but the slowness is not related (at least not primarily) to the file size or processing requirements.

• Thanks 2

The Fuji GFX cameras deserve comparison. The X1D has a leaf shutter, no? It is easy to use M-mount glass on the Fuji GFX's, and they have a 35mm mode that uses the center part of the sensor, so you don't worry about vignette and you get a smaller raw file. The cameras also have a good line of prime lenses, which of course use the entire "medium format" sensor.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wellfleet said:

Shouldn't that be for another thread? The title of this thread is "Image quality comparison between Hasselblad X1D II and Leica SL2." It seems pretty specific. 

The OP stated, " the other high end camera on the market is the Hasselblad X1D" and the discussion is to a large degree about sensor size difference. I merely note that the X1D is one of the other high end cameras on the market at the larger sensor size.

• Like 1

But the OP didn't ask about that.

53 minutes ago, CharlesL said:

the discussion is to a large degree about sensor size difference. 

Where is that discussed?  So far, the only two sensors being discussed have been specific to the OP's thread title, and it would be nice to limit it to that. Maybe we should follow what Jaapv has stated in the Leica SL2 thread, " Actually, this thread is meant to showcase SL2 images as and when they become available,  just like all other camera-specific image threads, not for this kind of discussion. Please use or start appropriate threads for those."

Edited by wellfleet
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Mr.Q said:

It's quite amazing that a 5 year-old sensor is still outperforming FF sensors today that are close to being maxed out in performance. If and when they release a 2nd gen 50-75 MP sensor, the performance gap will be reverted.

On the other hand, the physics of light havent changed in a 13.5 billion years or thereabouts, so getting a few more years out of the old girl shouldn't be that surprising.   😉 

• Like 2