Very Basic, How do you set the Aperture?

HarleyTusk

9 minutes ago, MarkP said:

I think those having a go at the OP are most ungracious and do not do the a forum a service.  

Unless I've missed something, nobody "had a go" as far as I can tell!

Having been one, and in many ways I still am a newbie*, I have no issues at all with this type of question. I prefer to see someone ask a basic photography oriented question than some of the "I'm going to xxx what lens should I take", or "I want to buy a Cronilux how much can I sell it for?"

*the lens cap... we've all done it. And just recently I shot for while not quite understanding what the meter wanted... until I realised that I had been shooting the previous day at ISO800 and forgot to set it back to 160. 🙄

4 minutes ago, ianman said:

Unless I've missed something, nobody "had a go" as far as I can tell!

Having been one, and in many ways I still am a newbie*, I have no issues at all with this type of question. I prefer to see someone ask a basic photography oriented question than some of the "I'm going to xxx what lens should I take", or "I want to buy a Cronilux how much can I sell it for?"

*the lens cap... we've all done it. And just recently I shot for while not quite understanding what the meter wanted... until I realised that I had been shooting the previous day at ISO800 and forgot to set it back to 160. 🙄

Some earlier responses responded to such a basic question as if the op was trolling and the comments about learning to drive in a supercar had a clear pejorative tone.  At least, at the beginning, we should be fully supportive and welcoming to new members.  We can always dump on them later when they understand how the place works 😉

I agree  with the rest of your post.

I shot on the wrong ISO myself today for a while wondering why I has so much light. Duh 🙄

Edited by MarkP

5 minutes ago, MarkP said:

the comments about learning to drive in a supercar had a clear pejorative tone

oh, I didn't see that analogy as pejorative. I mean, would be a similar situation. You wrote yourself that it's a bit strange to start up a new hobby with an expensive camera. But if the OP has the means to do so, good for him.

We are all different but to my mind, asking this type of question comes before the choice and purchase of the equipment, I think that is what some posters here may be trying to express. I mean, image walking into a Leica store, buying an M10 then asking the salesperson how you set the aperture on the camera. I bet you would get a few seconds of blank stare back.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

54 minutes ago, ianman said:

‘But if the OP has the means to do so, good for him’

Exactly my point, unusual but that’s ok 

‘I mean, image walking into a Leica store, buying an M10 then asking the salesperson how you set the aperture on the camera’. 

Everyone starts somewhere. M10 is a pretty good place to start, and to learn the basic skills of photography - all manual focus, ISO, aperture, and shutter speed.  Exactly why I like M cameras.  The only digital cameras on  the market that still handle like the film cameras of yore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkP said:

Some earlier responses responded to such a basic question as if the op was trolling and the comments about learning to drive in a supercar had a clear pejorative tone.  

Running with the supercar analogy the first observation would be that while some people are able to drive one it is still abundantly clear that some people shouldn't drive one. But a Leica rangefinder isn't analogous to a supercar, it's more like a medium range Mercedes Benz and without any of the optional extras which to many people would make it barely driveable anyway.

The OP should learn about photography quicker with a Leica rangefinder because he will be forced to, and fortunately learning is always more intense and interesting the first time you take something on. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2019 at 9:48 PM, Rockrug said:

This is a bit like someone who just got their driver's license going out to buy a Ferrari and then asking how to shift gears. I mean, without a fundamental understanding of aperture, how would one even choose a lens? How is a summilux different than a summarit (other than price)?

The OP needs to know far more than just how to change aperture. I highly suggest the OP learn what aperture *does*, how it affects the image and its impact on other important things like ISO and shutter speed. Google "exposure triangle" and "depth of field" as a place to start.

BC

Actually, driving a Ferrari or a Porsche is easier; few if any have three pedals.  You just push the ignition button, select a gear (and drive program), release the parking brake, point and go