HarleyTusk

Very Basic, How do you set the Aperture?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m new to photography and to Leica.

I just got a M10p and I’m a little intimidated. I still don’t have a lens yet (getting by next week)

The quick start instructions labels the large, main setting wheel as the “Shutter Speed Setting Wheel”.  And the other wheel as the “ISO Setting wheel”  

How & where do you set the Aperture? 

Please post anything you think may be useful to a beginner about using the M10p!

Thanks!

I would strongly advise you to work your way through the Leica M FAQ.  Although some posts are specific to older models, many address the questions you will run into and there are useful tips and techniques.

Hello Harley,

Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy your new camera & lens.

Your camera should come with an instruction book that explains about aperture settings & a lot more. If not you should be able to get 1 from Leica in Wetzlar Germany. Try reading it both with & without the camera & practice doing different things with the camera such as setting the aperture, shutter speed & focusing.

Photography is like a lot of other things: The more you practice, with & without actually taking pictures, the better you get. Because as you become more comfortable doing the mechanical & computational parts of photography: The more they will become second nature, which will allow you to concentrate more on other things.

And don't forget to ask questions here on the Forum. This is a good place to do that.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

This is a bit like someone who just got their driver's license going out to buy a Ferrari and then asking how to shift gears. I mean, without a fundamental understanding of aperture, how would one even choose a lens? How is a summilux different than a summarit (other than price)?

The OP needs to know far more than just how to change aperture. I highly suggest the OP learn what aperture *does*, how it affects the image and its impact on other important things like ISO and shutter speed. Google "exposure triangle" and "depth of field" as a place to start.

BC

OTOH, a Leica M has all the controls on the surface as it were - what better way, if you can afford it, to learn the basics of photography? Far easier than a P&S where all the control functions are hidden, unless you just want to, well, P&S.

You could kill yourself in a Ferrari if you didn't know how to change gear. With a M10, the more you use it, the better you will get, because you can see the results immediately and make corrections at zero marginal cost.

Edited by LocalHero1953

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, Rockrug said:

This is a bit like someone who just got their driver's license going out to buy a Ferrari and then asking how to shift gears. I mean, without a fundamental understanding of aperture, how would one even choose a lens? How is a summilux different than a summarit (other than price)?

The OP needs to know far more than just how to change aperture. I highly suggest the OP learn what aperture *does*, how it affects the image and its impact on other important things like ISO and shutter speed. Google "exposure triangle" and "depth of field" as a place to start.

BC

I don't believe that the OP's question is serious.  He purchased an $8,000 rangefinder and has no idea how it works?  Really?

I commend those who responded, but, I believe he's trolling us

On 11/7/2019 at 5:32 PM, Michael Geschlecht said:

And don't forget to ask questions here on the Forum. This is a good place to do that.

Best Regards,

Michael

Based on some comments it sure feels like a great place to ask questions!

Don't forget you all where “New” at one point. 

My advice is get yourself any of the leica 35mm lenses as they are all outstanding. 

Use the jpeg settings in the menu.

Put the camera on auto iso.

Put the camera in aperture priority and make sure your shutter speed readout in your viewfinder is always at 1/60th of a second or faster.

Then shoot loads of pictures using the rangefinder to get correct focus.

You will then get beautiful clear photographs while you research everything you can about using a manual focus/control camera.

Later on you can make your own decisions about more advanced stuff like raw shooting or the effects of shooting at various apertures as well as zone focus technique.

Just take pictures for now and concentrate on focus and keeping your shutter at quite a fast speed .

15 hours ago, rnl said:

I don't believe that the OP's question is serious.  He purchased an $8,000 rangefinder and has no idea how it works?  Really?

I commend those who responded, but, I believe he's trolling us

My very thoughts...L

12 hours ago, HarleyTusk said:

Based on some comments it sure feels like a great place to ask questions!

Don't forget you all where “New” at one point. 

Don't be too touchy, after all the Manual that comes with the camera is pretty good for the novice and even shows you (page 124) where the aperture setting ring is located, funny how you haven't looked it up in the Index?

But you are jumping ahead of yourself, with so little knowledge most of the terms in the Manual will be unfamiliar to you, so while the lens is in transit learn a little about photography itself and worry less about the camera.

Edited by 250swb

On 11/8/2019 at 2:01 AM, HarleyTusk said:

I’m new to photography and to Leica.

I just got a M10p and I’m a little intimidated. I still don’t have a lens yet (getting by next week)

The quick start instructions labels the large, main setting wheel as the “Shutter Speed Setting Wheel”.  And the other wheel as the “ISO Setting wheel”  

How & where do you set the Aperture? 

Please post anything you think may be useful to a beginner about using the M10p!

Thanks!

Did you get your lens by now? Post the results in the Photo Forums, ask for critique. Don't be afraid of negative critique, it is not criticism, but a (sometimes painful) learning experience.

On 11/8/2019 at 2:01 AM, HarleyTusk said:

I still don’t have a lens yet (getting by next week)

By the way, which lens have you ordered? 

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

OK folks, Harley  went through his initiation. Let's just help him to discover his new hobby now. We've all started out on our Leica journey at one point.

Agreed in principle, but what about a lens cap reminder!

I think those having a go at the OP are most ungracious and do not do the a forum a service.  

Yes we get our trolls here but few and far between.  I think it is reasonable to give people the benefit  of the doubt.  

i agree that it is VERY unusual nowadays to start one!s photographic journey on a very pricey lens-free rangefinder but so what.  Who here had forgotten Neil’s photographic journey from new rangefinder to printing his own large format prints and back to rangefinder - ie stranger things have happened here !

Harley, what lens are you getting? 
Mark 🙂

Edited by MarkP