Repaired v3 Noctilux Buying Advice

iamamar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, iamamar said:

I am so ready! Usually go with B+W, I’ll check out some other options as well. What version do you have? Where did you purchase it from? 

Had a 58mm B+W XS Pro which I actually never used and sold after learning of new brands like Breakthrough and PolarPro which are supposedly better. Haven't decided on one yet. There's a great comparison video on YouTube.

1 hour ago, iamamar said:

Took a look in Lr. The first shot is useless; it's of a tiny leaf which seemed to be moving so there's motion blur. The other shot seems to be front focused, so only the top and bottom is in focus, where of course sharpness is going to be weaker than the center. It's not bad, might be a good copy. Better to get a sample of a brick wall at a 45° angle so missed focus isn't an issue. Then you can properly judge the center sharpness.

Edited by a5m

• 2 weeks later...

I received the Leica service documents for the lens. Does anyone have any thoughts on the repairs? Either it is piece of mind that lens has been serviced and the owner invested in all the repairs or it opens it up to more issues down the road...

Also is it common to have an order date and invoice date that many months apart?

see attached. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

8 minutes ago, nwphil said:

well, repairs done by Leica, so that some peace of mind - I would say that if they have not found anything else, it's because they done all that was needed.

With that said, darn....that was a lot. Did the seller explained hat happened to the lens? 

It’s a lot! He sent it in because the coating on the front element was peeling. Then he decided being a perfectionist (as he put it) to have Leica repair any other issues they felt needed to be addressed. I’m not sure if a lot of the lenses at this age are working with most of these issues and don’t need to get fixed...its a long list of, kinda like a rebuilt engine to use the car analogy again. 

I got the price down to $5k. I making my decision this week. The option of the F/95 has come back into my mind, I’m still debating with myself...

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 4:48 AM, ianman said:

If you go for it, be sure to ask the seller for the paperwork of those repairs.

I was going to suggest just that but you beat me to it.

I fully agree.

If the paperwork is in order then you have a rebuilt, calibrated, 6-bit coded, and recently CLAed lens.

I have this lens. It is fabulous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkP said:

I was going to suggest just that but you beat me to it.

I fully agree.

If the paperwork is in order then you have a rebuilt, calibrated, 6-bit coded, and recently CLAed lens.

I have this lens. It is fabulous.

That sums it up! I just asked the seller how the repairs came about. Otherwise I am feeling good about this copy. There is value in a recent CLA and repairs. 

I think even if I get the F/95 I will always think about owning this lens. Might as well get it now. I have M246, SL and M10P (still have a Silver M240 I need to sell if anyone is interested) to enjoy it on! The question is which body should I mount it on first!!!

I’m starting to get excited. This feeling never gets old...

• Like 1