Repaired v3 Noctilux Buying Advice

iamamar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am looking for a little advice. I have the Noctilux bug. I own everything I would ever need but after a while you just want to buy something and that something for me is the infamous F/1 Noctilux. I have all modern M and SL lenses a mix of digital and analogue bodies so I decided to go for the F/1 and like the design of the V3 the best. I came across a copy but I am a little hesitant because of the repairs. It’s kinda like buying a car with a rebuilt engine or a service record, what else could go wrong? The repair was substantial I feel, the entire front element was replaced.

To summarize the lens had some coating wear on the front element. It was sent to Lecia USA and they did the following repairs  

- Replaced the front element

- Replaced the barrel

- 6 Bit Coded & Calibrated 

Should I pass or not think to much of it? I know other lenses might come around this ones is priced quite attractively as the seller is motivated because he purchase another body and needs to sell it, we all know that story! Lol 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hello, welcome here.

If the Noctilux was repaired by Leica, I would go for it when pricing is ok.

Then if you can test it before buying for the results and handling, focussing stiffness, aperture ring clicking and the infamous finder blockage (if it suits you).

1 minute ago, a.noctilux said:

Hello, welcome here.

If the Noctilux was repaired by Leica, I would go for it when pricing is ok.

Thanks for the reply. I have read hundreds of your posts while researching the lens! It’s nice to meet you :) 

It was repaired by LeicA but I am purchasing form a private seller. I won’t have the luxury to test it. (I’m used to finder blockage at this point not having it blocked would feel odd ;) )

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, iamamar said:

Thanks for the reply. I have read hundreds of your posts while researching the lens! It’s nice to meet you :) 

It was repaired by LeicA but I am purchasing form a private seller. I won’t have the luxury to test it. (I’m used to finder blockage at this point not having it blocked would feel odd ;) )

Be sure to a safe payment method, and ask for references. Bow, are you buying because of the price or you really want the 1.0 rendering? I like what I see in both lenses but ended choosing the 0.95 despite coming across far more economic 1.0's.....

31 minutes ago, nwphil said:

Be sure to a safe payment method, and ask for references. Bow, are you buying because of the price or you really want the 1.0 rendering? I like what I see in both lenses but ended choosing the 0.95 despite coming across far more economic 1.0's.....

It is a little of both. I have a lot of modern glass including 50 Lux, 35 Lux + 50 Lux SL. At first I was thinking of the f/.95 to keep a uniform look throughout my kit. But I have never owned a Mandler era lens. I realize that there are more economical ways to experience the rendering rather than getting the F/1! I read about the focus shift, long throw, softness, etc. about the F/1, which did make me lean towards the F/.95 but when I look at the images, I see something different in the F/1 than my other glass and that interests me. I understand that the F/.95 is shaper, more tuned for digital, larger and heavier but I do not think would bother me since using the SL 50, which is a beast of lens. So I am still torn! I have been searching for over a few months now, and I am patient until the right lens crosses my path. The F/1 is being offered for $5500 and F/.95 LNIB i found is $7500. I know both of these sellers, so I am confident in the honesty of the transaction.

Do you think that a lens that has been repaired would be harder to resell?

I have this lens, the v3 and love it. I bought it based on similar reasoning, I have a number of modern lenses and wanted to pair them with something that has a very different look. There has been a few times I have looked at trading it for a 0.95... but I end up keeping it for another trip, and I end up taking my favorite images of the trip with it!

Price wise, it seems OK. There are close to mint ones in boxes with the hood for $5500-$6000. I paid $5800 for mine with the hood, leather case, original front and rear caps and in mint condition. Mine is not 6 bit coded, so I am guessing there is a price built in to the one you are looking at for that too. Does the one you are looking at have the hood, caps etc?

You mentioned in your last post you know and trust the sellers. If they have the repair paperwork from Leica, I would not be too worried.  But if you are looking around, the Leica Shop in Vienna has a few. I have bought from them a number of times, including my f1.0, both in person and shipped to the US. They have been amazing. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, iamamar said:

It is a little of both. I have a lot of modern glass including 50 Lux, 35 Lux + 50 Lux SL. At first I was thinking of the f/.95 to keep a uniform look throughout my kit. But I have never owned a Mandler era lens. I realize that there are more economical ways to experience the rendering rather than getting the F/1! I read about the focus shift, long throw, softness, etc. about the F/1, which did make me lean towards the F/.95 but when I look at the images, I see something different in the F/1 than my other glass and that interests me. I understand that the F/.95 is shaper, more tuned for digital, larger and heavier but I do not think would bother me since using the SL 50, which is a beast of lens. So I am still torn! I have been searching for over a few months now, and I am patient until the right lens crosses my path. The F/1 is being offered for $5500 and F/.95 LNIB i found is $7500. I know both of these sellers, so I am confident in the honesty of the transaction.

Do you think that a lens that has been repaired would be harder to resell?

I would would lean more towards one repaired and warranted by leica than other just looking pretty. Now, there are some users that are extremely picky, and will fuss more about regular wear/user marks and dings.

I have seen 1.0 lower than that...and even 0.95. However peace of mind coming from buying out of a trustworthy source. .... is priceless!

since you have already orher outstanding 50s, a mandler rendering might so well indeed

2 hours ago, mikeamosau said:

I have looked at trading it for a 0.95... but I end up keeping it for another trip, and I end up taking my favorite images of the trip with it!

That is wonderful! Isn't it cool that over time you can equate the joy of the image to the lens, it add to the memory of the capture. I get that feeling as well. 

It has the caps and hood, but no box or case. It was actually purchased in Italy. I didn't think about contacting those stores living stateside. Might be a reason to take a trip? Im sure I am not the first to travel to purchase his nocitulx! haha

Thanks for the info on the price. I see a lot of v4 (with he built in hood) for sale, but do not come across many v3. As much as want a F/1 I am not ready to settle on the v4 just yet. I like the shape of the earlier version. 

2 hours ago, nwphil said:

I would would lean more towards one repaired and warranted by leica than other just looking pretty. Now, there are some users that are extremely picky, and will fuss more about regular wear/user marks and dings.

I have seen 1.0 lower than that...and even 0.95. However peace of mind coming from buying out of a trustworthy source. .... is priceless!

since you have already orher outstanding 50s, a mandler rendering might so well indeed

That is good to know. At times I feel the same way, these lenses are old and there is some piece of mind knowing that it was recently serviced and all known issues at that time were repaired. That also says something about the owner, that he wanted to make that investment. Which version do you own? 

22 minutes ago, iamamar said:

That is good to know. At times I feel the same way, these lenses are old and there is some piece of mind knowing that it was recently serviced and all known issues at that time were repaired. That also says something about the owner, that he wanted to make that investment. Which version do you own? 

the 0.95 - getting a CLA at DAG

Not at the same league, but used the nokton 1.1 and Zeiss sonnar 1.5 - In the end I realized that neither had the sharpness or character that was pleasing to me. Now, the Voigtlander 75 mm 1.8 was a different story, but ended not being a FL that I liked to use.

- in my view, using your car analogy as an example, I would concerned with quality of repair service - it's a tool, so has to be maintained if indeed it is used. Maybe if it was a rare sample, then a collector would snub it. I think it is a better choice to get the a repaired one, as they everything else gets checked; does not mean it will trouble free and will last forever.

The 1.0 vs 0.95  can't help you there - just got out of that dilemma myself (LOL), but got a lot of good help/info in this forum

Edited by nwphil

I wouldn't worry about it at all. If anything, it's more desirable since it was recently serviced. The paperwork may not indicate it, but Leica is very thorough and meticulous about checking and measuring all the tolerances and specs. I've spoken many times with the head tech at Leica NJ, who I believe is the only one who deals with Noctilux lenses, and he's a very thorough guy.

What I'd be more concerned with is the wide open sharpness of the copy. Sharp ones exist. It's worth waiting, especially for this lens because then you'll feel good about buying it and will actually enjoy using it.

All the best in your search! 

11 minutes ago, a5m said:

I wouldn't worry about it at all. If anything, it's more desirable since it was recently serviced. The paperwork may not indicate it, but Leica is very thorough and meticulous about checking and measuring all the tolerances and specs. I've spoken many times with the head tech at Leica NJ, who I believe is the only one who deals with Noctilux lenses, and he's a very thorough guy.

What I'd be more concerned with is the wide open sharpness of the copy. Sharp ones exist. It's worth waiting, especially for this lens because then you'll feel good about buying it and will actually enjoy using it.

All the best in your search! 

Wow! I would have loved to listen into those conversations! Thanks for the insight. 

It’s is true that some copies are sharper than others. I have know some that have owned several trying to find one that makes them happy! This might be the start to a lifelong journey or just a bump in the road. 

I asked for some pics. The one from the parade is before the repair. The portraits are from afterwards. Does it look sharp enough to you? (considering it is a resized image)

• Like 2

Pic from after the repair...

Edited by iamamar
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, iamamar said:

Wow! I would have loved to listen into those conversations! Thanks for the insight. 

It’s is true that some copies are sharper than others. I have know some that have owned several trying to find one that makes them happy! This might be the start to a lifelong journey or just a bump in the road. 

I asked for some pics. The one from the parade is before the repair. The portraits are from afterwards. Does it look sharp enough to you? (considering it is a resized image)

25 minutes ago, iamamar said:

Pic from after the repair...

Sure thing, it's my pleasure :)

It's hard to tell due to them being resized. Were these taken wide open? I'd request them to upload wide open RAWs to Google Drive or Dropbox etc. If they are unwilling, best to move on to the next one because they might be hiding the fact it's not a sharp copy.

I wouldn't go off of anything but full size RAWs, or at least unedited JPEGs. I'm no lens expert, so I don't know what property of a lens causes this, but the F1 is one of those where even a soft image looks sharp at normal viewing magnification. Only when you zoom in do you see the softness. Same thing with the 50 Summilux Pre-ASPH E46, and also the Nikon 58/1.4G.

Hopefully you find a sharp one sooner than later. Otherwise one can get discouraged quite quickly...