Summicron-M 35mm f2 vs 7Artisans 35mm f2 on a Leica T...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, my name is Eric, and i recently decided to learn about photography (6 months ago i used to believe that cameras were some sort of an "old relic of a dying era", and smart phones cameras was the only thing i needed). The thing is that I decided to make a quick test, under poor light conditions, between a summicron-m 35mm f2 asph. and the closer, chinese alternative: the 7artisans 35mm f2, on my leica T. And i was surprised of the results (i know that both are different lenses, starting by the asph vs "classic" optical design), but the most confusing thing was the fact that, using the same aperture and exposure time settings, the overall look of the image was so different...in this case the contrast and "over exposure" look of the 7artisans (is the same subject and also the same light conditions)...it could be that both lenses are so different?, or the camera apply a different sort of "profile" (the summicron-m is a 6-bit code lens, and i'm also using the Leica M adapter L) depending of the lens?

Sorry if the question sound stupid, but it could help me to understand what kind of lens to choose depending on the conditions.

Thanks!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The exposure does not look the same here. On my digital CL, the 7art 35/2 performs as well as my Summicron 35/2 asph v1 more or less, as far as sharpness is concerned at least, even at f/2. The 7art flares more when strong light sources are outside the frame though and its bokeh is sharper. Now i'm no pixel peeper so YMMV. See a couple test pics on the CL here, most if not all at f/2. BTW my early copy of the 7art was 6-bit coded as a Leica 35/2 asph. W/o coding, the lens distorts more i feel but i did not do side by side comparos. 

Edited by lct

I agree that there seems to be an exposure difference, so a couple of questions.

1) Are there f stop click stops on the 7 Artisans? I ask because my 55 7 Artisans doesn't have them, my one gripe about the lens.

2) Were you using M manual to do the test? It may be better to use aperture priority - A. Especially true if there are no click stops.

3) When testing a lens it is best to use a middling shutter speed 1/100 or so. Removes most movement of camera or subject.

Otherwise enjoy the camera, it will be good with a $300 or $3000 lens on it.

1 hour ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

I agree that there seems to be an exposure difference, so a couple of questions.

1) Are there f stop click stops on the 7 Artisans? I ask because my 55 7 Artisans doesn't have them, my one gripe about the lens.

2) Were you using M manual to do the test? It may be better to use aperture priority - A. Especially true if there are no click stops.

3) When testing a lens it is best to use a middling shutter speed 1/100 or so. Removes most movement of camera or subject.

Otherwise enjoy the camera, it will be good with a $300 or $3000 lens on it.

1) Yes, the lens has f-stops "clicks". both lens where at the same setting.

2) Yes, manual mode, just because i wanna do both tests using the same exposure time.

3) I was using a tripod and the selftimer to avoid the typical "shaking" when pressing the shutter.

Since there is an exposure difference I would try again with A, just to compensate for if f4 agrees on the lenses, will also compensate for any lighting changes. Longer exposures are a little problematic, why I say to use a middling speed, tripod is always good for testing.

Glad 7 Artisans is doing click stops. 

Try downloading Leica's FOTOS app, acts as a cable release.

2 hours ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

Since there is an exposure difference I would try again with A, just to compensate for if f4 agrees on the lenses, will also compensate for any lighting changes. Longer exposures are a little problematic, why I say to use a middling speed, tripod is always good for testing.

Glad 7 Artisans is doing click stops. 

Try downloading Leica's FOTOS app, acts as a cable release.

I just did a test using Aperture priority and clearly compensated the light changes, although the center of the image in the 7artisans looks more bright (I assume it's the classic vs aspherical design, according to the info i got about this lenses).

Don't get me wrong, I love both lenses; each one have unique characteristics, and i can't choose an overall winner if I have to pick one...I also have a cron-m 50mm and it's by far, (again, to me), the one that renders the most beautiful images on the leica T.

regarding the Leica FOTOS app; the wifi on the leica T is pretty slow, so it makes the process a little bit frustrating. For this test I did use the EVF to make all the adjustments and the selftimer to keep the camera completely still...It was faster this way

Comparisons like this are not easy to do for sure. Better keep the same light to avoid variables and use the same settings in PP. BTW my 7art 35/2 does not vignette significantly more than my Leica 35/2 asph v1 at f/4 so there is no need to compensate from this viewpoint. 

• Like 1