M7 light meter,shutter problem

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi every one!

Few months ago my Leica M7 start to have problem with light metering. First of all it starts to be doubts and show in viewfinder all shutter speedes from 4,2,1,2,4,8 etc up to 1000 and again from 4 up to 1000. Then month ago it starts shows few more errors in display:

ASA  // (or RSA not sure)

D.""5 // or (O.''5 not sure) and also D.''7

1.""5 

Does any body know what they mean and is it repairable, if yes somewhere in UK? 

I will upload video in you tube so you can see it guys.

kind regards

Atanas

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Unfortunately I am not sure that there is much serviceable with the electronics unless you send the camera to Leica.

If you get the same issue with both manual ISO settings and DX modes the DX reader is probably not the issue. It could be the ISO dial on the film door, which I suspect is just a simple resistive circuit that can wear out with time - if so, cleaning the three gold film door contacts and/or spinning the ISO dial a bit might improve the behaviour. If this is the problem, you might be able to get the problem fixed in the UK with a replacement film door.

Another thing to perhaps check is if this is an actual metering error or a display problem. ie is the shutter speed in auto mode sensible, or does it jump around as with the display?

My M7 had a whole bunch of metering issues not unlike this that it came back with after it was serviced for another problem by Leica. There were at least two problems, one being a failure of the ADC on the microcontroller (mainboard replaced), and another that was never fully explained but which might have been caused by a poor connection between the photosensor and the rest of the circuitry (lots of things tried/replaced).

It is still not working perfectly, as the ISO dial is now somewhat unreliable and needs to be offset slightly to give the correct ISO configuration. I am not totally confident of Leica's ability to service the cameras any more, although they were trying terribly hard to sort out the problems.

• Like 1

It also happens to me if I am inside... and when lack of light .

Test in manual  with sp expos 1/125 or 1/60  to see if it works ex with 400 Isos or more 800  .

That said if necessary write an email to Leica Wetzlar and/or send the camera for review.

....  you do not have photos to post to see 

Rg H 

Edited by Doc Henry

Mark may be a little alcohol cleaning with a cotton swab ? 

3 minutes ago, Mark II said:

Τhat looks like a problem with the ISO setting dial or contacts to the film door. Does cleaning the film door contacts and/or spinning the ISO deal improve or change the behaviour?

Rg H

which one do you have ?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

2 hours ago, Doc Henry said:

It also happens to me if I am inside... and when lack of light .

Test in manual  with sp expos 1/125 or 1/60  to see if it works ex with 400 Isos or more 800  .

That said if necessary write an email to Leica Wetzlar and/or send the camera for review.

....  you do not have photos to post to see 

Rg H 

Also when I get on sharp sun Light it starts to roll all of the speeds from the slower up to highest and again

• Thanks 1

If you get the changing display even when setting ISO manually on the rear dial, I doubt that the problem is with the contacts to the ISO reader. It would flash strangely for a few seconds when turned on, but the camera should still expose correctly for the manually entered ISO value and show a sensible exposure in the viewfinder.

The contacts to look at are those behind the flappy film door (sorry, "pressure plate") - there are a small row of three gold contacts, with spring loaded pins that connect the film door's dial to the main camera body when the flap is closed. If the contact is poor, the metering speeds will jump all over the place.

• Thanks 1