Leica SL2 reviews

scott kirkpatrick

2 minutes ago, dfarkas said:

I'll throw my hat in the ring. I published a hands-on 'first look' video discussing the main differences between SL (Typ 601) and SL2. Will be posting a full, in-depth written review shortly and hopefully a longer form video review in the near future. 

Dave, I just watched this on YouTube and it is a fantastic review.  You really carefully and thoroughly went into all the functions and capabilities of the camera, some of which I didn't know even though I had one for beta testing.  Thanks for this.  Great job.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, dfarkas said:

I'll throw my hat in the ring. I published a hands-on 'first look' video discussing the main differences between SL (Typ 601) and SL2. Will be posting a full, in-depth written review shortly and hopefully a longer form video review in the near future. 

Very interesting presentation. While talking about differences, will the MC-21 adapter be supported on the SL2 ?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dfarkas said:

more than throwing your hat in the ring. Jono is always great, of course. Ditto Sean Reid. But you supply a lot of basic information, clearly and crispy. Terrific presentation. 

• Like 1

When the manual states the following:

"Picture Series

Single Continuous Low Speed (3 fps), Continuous Medium Speed (6 fps), Continuous High Speed (10 fps without AFc/ AE/WB), Continuous Super Speed (20 fps with electr. shutter function without AFc/AE/WB), Interval Shooting, Exposure Bracketing, Multishot"

Does this mean the focusing in AFc is limited to 6 fps max ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 minutes ago, Jenningsmca said:

When the manual states the following:

"Picture Series

Single Continuous Low Speed (3 fps), Continuous Medium Speed (6 fps), Continuous High Speed (10 fps without AFc/ AE/WB), Continuous Super Speed (20 fps with electr. shutter function without AFc/AE/WB), Interval Shooting, Exposure Bracketing, Multishot"

Does this mean the focusing in AFc is limited to 6 fps max ?

Yes. If you want your subsequent frames to be infocus.

1 hour ago, sillbeers15 said:

Yes. If you want your subsequent frames to be infocus.

So just to be sure, the Sony a9ii for example indicates it shoots at 20fps as well. Sony also indicates blackout-free continuous shooting at up to 20 frames per second with Auto Focus and Auto Exposure tracking at 60 calculations per second. 

The SL2 does not have the same capability as the Sony is this correct ?

Not trying to start a war just want to know if I am comparing apples to apples or apples to mellons.

Thx

1 minute ago, Jeff S said:

Contrarian review compared to others on some significant features, including inferior results compared to the S1R for AF performance and EVF detail...

https://m.dpreview.com/videos/5340480487/dpreview-tv-leica-sl2-hands-on-first-impressions

Jeff

As they say, the critique is on the pre-production model, hence may not be applicable to the final version.

45 minutes ago, Jenningsmca said:

So just to be sure, the Sony a9ii for example indicates it shoots at 20fps as well. Sony also indicates blackout-free continuous shooting at up to 20 frames per second with Auto Focus and Auto Exposure tracking at 60 calculations per second. 

Not trying to start a war just want to know if I am comparing apples to apples or apples to mellons.

Thx

Yes, you are correct. No competitor (including Canon and Nikon) even comes close to the AF burst, tracking, and processing capabilities of the Sony A9. 

For starters, the SL2 lacks PDAF and probably ranks towards to the bottom of the pack in this department.

2 hours ago, Jenningsmca said:

Thx

First of all if achieving 20 fps/s with full AF/AE Sony A9II is the camera to go for. It has priority on achieving best in class AF while forgoing resolution and best in class optics.

Realistically, the SL, SL2 and S1R con only achieve 6fps/s shooting speed with continuous drive set to ‘medium’ like many other mirrorless & DSLRs.

In my opinion, I will be happy at 6fps/s provided the post production firmware tweeks the AF tracking accurately as reliably. 

• Like 1

It is still less than 24 hrs after Leica officially announced the release of the SL2, while I’m still feeling ‘high’ over the excitement & anticipation of the SL2 I would like to thank Leica marketing folks for managing all the pre release demos such that there is a ‘big bang’ of SL2 reviews release by multiple reviewers all on the 6th Nov. 

I’m also glad that after the public announcement I’m no longer bonded by the NDA signed a week ago before Leica allowed me a 60 min handle the SL2 demo in Singapore and provided one on one answer to the questions I had. Now I can freely talked about what little I had handling experience of the SL2.

I make no bones that I was in search of an improvement on the Autofocus capability on the SL2 over SL1 which I was a satisfied user over the last four years.

My final verdict on the AF tracking performance of the SL2 will come after I get to unbox and shoot my camera come 21st Nov.

Short of doing so, I thank the many SL2 reviewer for putting together their experience and expectations of the SL2 and shared with us over the web.

So if I may, make a short SL2 AF summary of which many reviewers had provided mostly over preproduction firmware.

Very interestingly the common comment I gathered on SL2 is faster AF. I honestly am still trying to wrap round what that means as I did not find the AF speed of the SL1 to be slow in any situation ( I did not own and use the SL 50 lux) based the three SL zooms and SL Summicron 75 which I own. Of all the reviews, the most negative about SL2’s AF came from Chris of DP Review. Chris commented the SL2 AF is poorer than S1/R and the AF hunts. Other than that I did not hear any strong negative remarks on the SL2 AF. Timothy Floyd even commented that the AF tracking experience he had was as good as 95%. The Snapchick commented the SL2’s CDAF is surprisingly good and gave an interesting suggestion saying that in her experience, the AF tracking was not great but improved tremendously after she used the method of following the subject while panning and trigger a short burst of frames. All in all, the negative comment of saying the SL1’s CDAF is no where near PDAF in tracking has not been heard or read so far.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/leica-sl2/leica-sl2A.HTM#shooting

The Leica SL2 is a good camera. It feels good to use, it takes really good pictures, it has some really nice touches to both the physical design and the menu, and it has access to just a ton of lenses from the entire Leica library. It has an okay autofocus system, and it has an okay processor. So while it excels in many places, it only reaches just shy of par for the course in others.

But while the Leica SL2 is just a good camera, it is a spectacular camera experience.