Jono Slack: Leica SL2 Review

LUF Admin

BBF? Back Button Focus. Can the upper right button in back (I think you said there was one) be customized to focus, upon engaging with your thumb? Along with that can the trigger button be disengaged from focus? Most pros who photograph with Canon or Nikon set their cameras that way. You may have touched on this and I missed it in your review.

• Like 3

I am missing info about mounting M-mount lenses in both your and Sean's reviews.  Are all M-mount lenses usable with the SL and are the image modifications for each lens included in the camera memory?

I also did a search on "m-mount vs l-mount" and didn't get the info I wanted.

Many thanks and apologies if I missed this in your review.

Edited by wparsonsgisnet

8 minutes ago, wparsonsgisnet said:

I am missing info about mounting M-mount lenses in both your and Sean's reviews.  Are all M-mount lenses usable with the SL and are the image modifications for each lens included in the camera memory?

Sean Reid discusses M lenses briefly at the last page of his review. A detailed review of M-lenses on SL, SL2, S1R, M-240 is upcoming. EXIF data seems to be stored when shooting with M-lenses.

Jono's review lists 6 M-lenses that work as they should on SL2 (chapter "M Mount Lenses").

Edited by SrMi

Thank you very much @jonoslack - once again a very informative review - and for your beautifully composed images. I can see why you will be switching to the SL2 from the SL; in other circumstances I might have done the same, as I use my SL increasingly for events - mainly around theatre/music/dance - which could benefit from most of the changes (except the extra pixels!). But for the moment I have added a Sigma fp: I am also exploring video and the fp gives me video capability with L/M lenses, while leaving the SL for concurrent stills. The L-mount has certainly created some interesting comparisons.

35 minutes ago, steamboat said:

BBF? Back Button Focus. Can the upper right button in back (I think you said there was one) be customized to focus, upon engaging with your thumb? Along with that can the trigger button be disengaged from focus? Most pros who photograph with Canon or Nikon set their cameras that way. You may have touched on this and I missed it in your review.

DPR says yes (real BBF support).

• Thanks 2

Thanks Jono ...... much food for thought ....... 

I can forsee a week of fiddling about with the button customisation to achieve an optimised configuration and profiles......

Ultimately, if the image output is no different to the S1R I may just end up with a 2nd S1R body so I have twins rather than brothers and save myself a few thousand pounds ....

1 hour ago, wparsonsgisnet said:

HI There 

I didn't discuss it at length - but I did discuss it.

Like the SL the SL2 has a special thinner coverglass to help prevent smearing with M lenses (thinner than the Panasonic). All the vignetting and colour modifications are applied - automatically to 6 bit lenses and to the lens of your choice with uncoded lenses.

So the answer is that it is as good as the SL in terms of use with M lenses - although of course the higher resolution may show up the shortcomings in some older lenses (sadly I didn't have any to test)

Best

Jono

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Mr.Q said:

I'm a little confused regarding the weight of the camera. On Leica's website it says the SL2 weighs 835g WITHOUT the battery. Your reviews mentions it's 835g WITH the battery.

Which is accurate?

Hi There Mr Q

Well, actually, it seems that everyone is confused - I found this out after sending the information to Andreas. In fact the SL2 is about 60 grams heavier than the SL - not lighter at all! The confusion arose around whether it had a battery in or not. (in my list SL did and SL2 didn't). It feels smaller and lighter though, which is probably what matters!

Best

Jono

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Thank you very much @jonoslack - once again a very informative review - and for your beautifully composed images. I can see why you will be switching to the SL2 from the SL; in other circumstances I might have done the same, as I use my SL increasingly for events - mainly around theatre/music/dance - which could benefit from most of the changes (except the extra pixels!). But for the moment I have added a Sigma fp: I am also exploring video and the fp gives me video capability with L/M lenses, while leaving the SL for concurrent stills. The L-mount has certainly created some interesting comparisons.

Hi There

I hear what you say about events - I'm the same really. I just wish they would have a 24mp DNG option! Apparently the processor won't support it.

If you're shooting video I would have thought that the SL2 was really a very good proposition - it's very capable - almost up to the S1H (except for extended filming). 

all the best

Jono

46 minutes ago, thighslapper said:

Thanks Jono ...... much food for thought ....... 

I can forsee a week of fiddling about with the button customisation to achieve an optimised configuration and profiles......

Ultimately, if the image output is no different to the S1R I may just end up with a 2nd S1R body so I have twins rather than brothers and save myself a few thousand pounds ....

Humm - If you're ever using M lenses or video, then I'd guess the SL2 was a much better bet (and if you care about menu and button sanity!). Otherwise I'd certainly agree

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jonoslack said:

Hi There

I hear what you say about events - I'm the same really. I just wish they would have a 24mp DNG option! Apparently the processor won't support it.

If you're shooting video I would have thought that the SL2 was really a very good proposition - it's very capable - almost up to the S1H (except for extended filming). 

all the best

Jono

The SL2 does look a good video option, but the fp, on paper at least, is probably better (I haven't properly tried it yet), and the size (same as the TL2) is very attractive as a second L full frame body. Not as good in the hand though, and the SL2 interface looks good.

Edited by LocalHero1953