Jump to content
LUF Admin

Jono Slack: Leica SL2 Review

Recommended Posts

Just in time online .....        and great reading as always.
Did you try the MC-21 adapter ? Or do you now if it is supported on the SL2 (or not) ?

Edited by caissa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BBF? Back Button Focus. Can the upper right button in back (I think you said there was one) be customized to focus, upon engaging with your thumb? Along with that can the trigger button be disengaged from focus? Most pros who photograph with Canon or Nikon set their cameras that way. You may have touched on this and I missed it in your review.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am missing info about mounting M-mount lenses in both your and Sean's reviews.  Are all M-mount lenses usable with the SL and are the image modifications for each lens included in the camera memory?

I also did a search on "m-mount vs l-mount" and didn't get the info I wanted.

Many thanks and apologies if I missed this in your review.

Edited by wparsonsgisnet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wparsonsgisnet said:

I am missing info about mounting M-mount lenses in both your and Sean's reviews.  Are all M-mount lenses usable with the SL and are the image modifications for each lens included in the camera memory?

I also did a search on "m-mount vs l-mount" and didn't get the info I wanted.

Many thanks and apologies if I missed this in your review.

Sean Reid discusses M lenses briefly at the last page of his review. A detailed review of M-lenses on SL, SL2, S1R, M-240 is upcoming. EXIF data seems to be stored when shooting with M-lenses.

Jono's review lists 6 M-lenses that work as they should on SL2 (chapter "M Mount Lenses").

Edited by SrMi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a little confused regarding the weight of the camera. On Leica's website it says the SL2 weighs 835g WITHOUT the battery. Your reviews mentions it's 835g WITH the battery.

Which is accurate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much @jonoslack - once again a very informative review - and for your beautifully composed images. I can see why you will be switching to the SL2 from the SL; in other circumstances I might have done the same, as I use my SL increasingly for events - mainly around theatre/music/dance - which could benefit from most of the changes (except the extra pixels!). But for the moment I have added a Sigma fp: I am also exploring video and the fp gives me video capability with L/M lenses, while leaving the SL for concurrent stills. The L-mount has certainly created some interesting comparisons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, steamboat said:

BBF? Back Button Focus. Can the upper right button in back (I think you said there was one) be customized to focus, upon engaging with your thumb? Along with that can the trigger button be disengaged from focus? Most pros who photograph with Canon or Nikon set their cameras that way. You may have touched on this and I missed it in your review.

DPR says yes (real BBF support).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Jono ...... much food for thought ....... 

I can forsee a week of fiddling about with the button customisation to achieve an optimised configuration and profiles......

Ultimately, if the image output is no different to the S1R I may just end up with a 2nd S1R body so I have twins rather than brothers and save myself a few thousand pounds ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, caissa said:

Just in time online .....        and great reading as always.
Did you try the MC-21 adapter ? Or do you now if it is supported on the SL2 (or not) ?

Thank you

As for the MC-21, no, I didn't try it, but I would imagine it should work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wparsonsgisnet said:

I am missing info about mounting M-mount lenses in both your and Sean's reviews.  Are all M-mount lenses usable with the SL and are the image modifications for each lens included in the camera memory?

I also did a search on "m-mount vs l-mount" and didn't get the info I wanted.

Many thanks and apologies if I missed this in your review.

HI There 

I didn't discuss it at length - but I did discuss it.

Like the SL the SL2 has a special thinner coverglass to help prevent smearing with M lenses (thinner than the Panasonic). All the vignetting and colour modifications are applied - automatically to 6 bit lenses and to the lens of your choice with uncoded lenses.

So the answer is that it is as good as the SL in terms of use with M lenses - although of course the higher resolution may show up the shortcomings in some older lenses (sadly I didn't have any to test)

Best

Jono

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.Q said:

I'm a little confused regarding the weight of the camera. On Leica's website it says the SL2 weighs 835g WITHOUT the battery. Your reviews mentions it's 835g WITH the battery.

Which is accurate?

Hi There Mr Q

Well, actually, it seems that everyone is confused - I found this out after sending the information to Andreas. In fact the SL2 is about 60 grams heavier than the SL - not lighter at all! The confusion arose around whether it had a battery in or not. (in my list SL did and SL2 didn't). It feels smaller and lighter though, which is probably what matters!

Best

Jono

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, telyt said:

A lot to like!  Hey Leica, how about some long lenses?

Quite right . . .but at least it's likely that Sigma and Panasonic will bring some out, they might not be quite as good, but they'll be a lot cheaper!

All the best

Jono

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Thank you very much @jonoslack - once again a very informative review - and for your beautifully composed images. I can see why you will be switching to the SL2 from the SL; in other circumstances I might have done the same, as I use my SL increasingly for events - mainly around theatre/music/dance - which could benefit from most of the changes (except the extra pixels!). But for the moment I have added a Sigma fp: I am also exploring video and the fp gives me video capability with L/M lenses, while leaving the SL for concurrent stills. The L-mount has certainly created some interesting comparisons.

Hi There

I hear what you say about events - I'm the same really. I just wish they would have a 24mp DNG option! Apparently the processor won't support it.

If you're shooting video I would have thought that the SL2 was really a very good proposition - it's very capable - almost up to the S1H (except for extended filming). 

all the best

Jono

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, thighslapper said:

Thanks Jono ...... much food for thought ....... 

I can forsee a week of fiddling about with the button customisation to achieve an optimised configuration and profiles......

Ultimately, if the image output is no different to the S1R I may just end up with a 2nd S1R body so I have twins rather than brothers and save myself a few thousand pounds ....

Humm - If you're ever using M lenses or video, then I'd guess the SL2 was a much better bet (and if you care about menu and button sanity!). Otherwise I'd certainly agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jonoslack said:

Hi There

I hear what you say about events - I'm the same really. I just wish they would have a 24mp DNG option! Apparently the processor won't support it.

If you're shooting video I would have thought that the SL2 was really a very good proposition - it's very capable - almost up to the S1H (except for extended filming). 

all the best

Jono

The SL2 does look a good video option, but the fp, on paper at least, is probably better (I haven't properly tried it yet), and the size (same as the TL2) is very attractive as a second L full frame body. Not as good in the hand though, and the SL2 interface looks good.

Edited by LocalHero1953

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Rpisanojr
      My copyright information disappears as does the Artist name.  Anyone else experiencing this problem.  I have firmware 2.0
    • By :hinting image
      Century old Aldis Anastigmat B&L leaf shutter lens reviewed on Leica SL2
      https://hintingimage.com/aldis-bausch-lomb
      Better than expected.

      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By Bitti
      I have an opportunity to buy new equipment in the next few weeks and I’m still debating about medium format S007 or full 35 sl2. Recently I came across a non Leica product the fuji gfx 100, to get things more confusing. I have received estimate costs for the Sl2 for new and for used S 007 . I then received a proposal for a gfx that is very tempting as it is a 100 mp.sensor, maybe  very good for my big size prints. I am a commercial advertising photographer and I’ve used canon, Hasselblads all my career after abandoning LF film cameras. I am aiming to get bigger prints for my fine art work and best quality lenses. At Leica store in New York they let me try both Sl2 and S007 for a week each. At the moment I have to take a decision and buy the equipment. Could anyone give an advice? Also I’ve never owned a digital view finder camera. I shoot studio portraits, mainly lifestyle and occasionally autos. Thank you all, any comment would be precious and apreciated .
       
    • By TorbenStender
      Can the SL2 mounted with the SL2.0 / 35 ASPH fit into a Billingham Hadley Small Pro 2020?
×
×
  • Create New...