Leica SL2 image thread separate?

caissa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I realize this is hopeless. But it hurts the forum, so here:

• T/TL/TL2 is one thread and yet there are different sensors.
  • And yet why are the TL2 and CL threads separated? Not a different sensor really; essentially just a different UI.
  • The division between the Q and Q2 has split the community, and both threads now have less energy and interest. Folks there have complained, and I personally have just checked out, even though I still have a Q. We used to have a robust thread in macro and one in IR, because everyone moved together. Now people talk past one another and interesting uses of the camera are being left behind.
  • Why combine all M film cameras? By the sensor logic, the M6 and M3 should be different, since one meters internally and one does not.

The claim is technological difference. Sometimes that's true, sometimes not. But the reality is that users don't want the division and it splits the community. Maybe sells more cameras, but lowers our enjoyment.

Just like continuing separate German and English sites at a time when google translate has become quite effective.

Technology changes, usage changes. Leica outsourced design of the SL2. Maybe this site should get looked at by an outside designer.

Edited by bags27
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bags27 said:

I realize this is hopeless. But it hurts the forum, so here:

• T/TL/TL2 is one thread and yet there are different sensors.
  • And yet why are the TL2 and CL threads separated? Not a different sensor really; essentially just a different UI.
  • The division between the Q and Q2 has split the community, and both threads now have less energy and interest. Folks there have complained, and I personally have just checked out, even though I still have a Q. We used to have a robust thread in macro and one in IR, because everyone moved together. Now people talk past one another and interesting uses of the camera are being left behind.
  • Why combine all M film cameras? By the sensor logic, the M6 and M3 should be different, since one meters internally and one does not.

The claim is technological difference. Sometimes that's true, sometimes not. But the reality is that users don't want the division and it splits the community. Maybe sells more cameras, but lowers our enjoyment.

Just like continuing separate German and English sites at a time when google translate has become quite effective.

Technology changes, usage changes. Leica outsourced design of the SL2. Maybe this site should get looked at by an outside designer.

Hello Bags27,

Both the M3 & the M6 use the same "Interchangeable Sensor System" & therefore both cameras have the same access to the same variety of interchangeable sensors.

In addition:

Google Translate is not always quite as "effective" as some people might think.

Best Regards,

Michael

17 minutes ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Bags27,

Both the M3 & the M6 use the same "Interchangeable Sensor System" & therefore both cameras have the same access to the same variety of interchangeable sensors.

In addition:

Google Translate is not always quite as "effective" as some people might think.

Best Regards,

Michael

Thanks for this Michael. My point about the 2 film cameras was that, for their time and technology, they differed sufficiently in how one approaches "the essential moment," and certainly at least as much as the CL and TL2, that they would justify a separate thread, to be consistent.

I take your point about Google Translate. But I guess I'd say that isn't it better to have everyone together, even if there are an occasional laughable moments in the renderings?

best,

Ken

Hello Ken,

Thank you for your reply.

Having used various types of metering over the years I have found very little difference in terms of ease of use, accuracy & so on when working with behind the lens metering, with separate hand held metering, or with a Leicameter on top, etc. Except with closeup photography where a behind the lens meter is easier than referring to a chart for exposure compensation.

Working with different groups using different languages has not been a problem for me. Beyond that there are a large number of people in both of the Forums who write back & forth in both. I would think that when translating services improve to where they approximate the ""Seamless"" "Universal Translator" from the "Beam me up Scotty." version of Stark Trek then 1 United Language Forum would be more do-able.

Best Regards,

Michael

3 minutes ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Ken,

Thank you for your reply.

Having used various types of metering over the years I have found very little difference in terms of ease of use, accuracy & so on when working with behind the lens metering, with separate hand held metering, or with a Leicameter on top, etc. Except with closeup photography where a behind the lens meter is easier than referring to a chart for exposure compensation.

Working with different groups using different languages has not been a problem for me. Beyond that there are a large number of people in both of the Forums who write back & forth in both. I would think that when translating services improve to where they approximate the ""Seamless"" "Universal Translator" from the "Beam me up Scotty." version of Stark Trek then 1 United Language Forum would be more do-able.

Best Regards,

Michael

Thanks, Michael. As a German reader (though hardly a writer), I feel I can go back and forth, but I certainly take your point. In one of my courses, I take the first few sentences of John ("In the beginning was the Word") and go back and forth between the koine and the English via Google Tr. enough times to show how absurd it gets!

best wishes,

Ken

• Like 1

Hello Ken,

Even if your think that your writing ability in German is somewhat limited this Forum is a good place to develop your German language writing skills further. Many people who read on the German side have as good of an understanding of English as any native English writer. In case you are unclear about a word or 2 when you are writing. People are very welcoming, supportive & helpful on the German Language side & you might consider writing to expand your German writing skills & to be more of a part of a very nice part of the Leica Forum.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Thanks 1