Leica SL2 image thread, please post your images here.

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Red-faced Mousebird (Urocolius indicus) in my garden.  Mousebirds (order Coliiformes) are considered “living fossils”. They are relatively unchanged survivors of a lineage that was present in the early Paleogene period approx. 65 million years ago. There are abundant fossils of Coliiformes dating back to this time.

SL2 & Canon 400mm f4 DOII & Canon 1.4x TCIII  with MC-21 Adapter - ISO800 f5.6 @ 1/1000s   -heavily cropped.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by michali
  • Like 16

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, meerec said:

Holly sh*t ... were you on the trip with Peter Eastway btw?

nice shot, send more ...

Peter and I did a lot of shooting together on the ship and Zodiacs.

Me with my puny SL2 and he with his Phase One 🙂
Peter did think I was a bit strange also shooting film (Fuji GW690III) 🙄

He's a really nice man. Oh, and a really good photographer.
I'm fairly sure he was also on the next trip that ended so badly. 

• Like 1

SL2, Summicron L 90

• Like 4

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, MarkP said:

Peter and I did a lot of shooting together on the ship and Zodiacs.

Me with my puny SL2 and he with his Phase One 🙂
Peter did think I was a bit strange also shooting film (Fuji GW690III) 🙄

He's a really nice man. Oh, and a really good photographer.
I'm fairly sure he was also on the next trip that ended so badly. 

Peter’s my ‘neighbour’, lives down the road  from me on the way to the beach that’s why I asked about him. Not heard from him since his recent voyages. Yes, seen him shoot in Long Reef with this monster Phase. But hey, multi shot is coming to SL2, we will get there with a matching image size. 

• Like 1

SL2+SC 35SL ISO 400 f9 1/80S

• Like 8

SL2+SC 35SL ISO 400 f4 1/200S

• Like 4

More abstracts.  Made these last night with my 10 yr old daughter.  They are all straight out of camera JPEGs, no post-processing.  

The flowers are pale yellow, with white baby’s breath.    (Shot on SL2 with Sigma Art 24-70mm zoom)

• Like 8

On 4/20/2020 at 5:54 PM, MarkP said:

SL (not SL2), 24-90SL

HI Mark, great shots, I am looking at doing a similar trip next year, hopefully the Covid-19 situation will be under control by then. Is the 24-90 the lens you used most frequently on this trip? Did you take / use / would have liked any others?

Thanks

Here is one I took today... All done with the SL2, of course.  The lens was the 60mm TL since that's the only macro that I've got.  Focus stacked image of the watch composited with a macro shot of a bottle of water--I used burst mode to take pictures while dropping rocks into the water. I thought it gave a nice background for a dive watch.  No, it's not supposed to look like the watch is "really" in the water--just give a sense of atmosphere.  The shots of the water were taken at 1/320s at f/11 to give just a little motion blur. The shots of the watch (about eight shots focus stacked) were at about 1/8s and f/8 at base ISO of 50.  Passport color checker was used to make sure the blues in the watch face came out accurately--they did.  I find many of my cameras struggle with dark, saturated blues if you aren't very careful with color processing. Dark purples are even worse.  The watch, for anyone who is interested, is a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms 40mm "Ocean Commitment III" as its the third in a series of watches they released to raise funds for ocean protection (and, of course, to sell more watches).  There aren't many 40mm dive watches out there these days, and this one is my absolute favorite.  Should have used a reflector to get a little more light on the hands, I think, but otherwise I'm happy with this shot.

• Like 10

9 hours ago, civitas said:

HI Mark, great shots, I am looking at doing a similar trip next year, hopefully the Covid-19 situation will be under control by then. Is the 24-90 the lens you used most frequently on this trip? Did you take / use / would have liked any others?

Thanks

Thanks. I took an SL and SL2. Although I have an M system this was the right environment for the L-system and zoom lenses.

The SL2 + 24-90 was used the most - I probably could have managed just with this and the 1.4/35 Summilux-M which was very useful as it helps at times to have a small light lens.

I was also very happy with the Panasonic 4.0/70-200 which I bought for the trip - handling, focus and IQ was outstanding. As I don't use long lenses I didn't buy the faster and more expensive,  heavy,  and bulky Leica 80-280 or 2.8/70-200 Panasonic. I have quickly sold off every 80-200 I've previously bought because of  non use. However a longer reach was most useful in Antarctica. I'm not really into photographing the birdlife for which a much longer lens is essential, and one would be better with a Canon or Nikon with superior focus and focus-tracking. I didn't really miss having anything longer but you don't necessarily miss what you've never used.

I tried to use just one camera & lens at a time but frequently took two camera bodies (SL & SL2) with the 24-90 and 70-200.

I brought the fabulous 16-35 but it got surprisingly got little use despite my liking wide angle lenses. I would have to admit that in retrospect I could have managed without it. 

Having the two L-mount bodies was very helpful.  They were frequently drenched for prolonged periods with rain and occasionally sea spray but performed flawlessly. I had plenty of spare batteries but had no problems with battery life.  Occasionally swapped batteries after extended use 

I only once got condensation in the lenses when I forgot to pack the cameras into dry bags when coming back on board - not helped by the zoom action sucking in warm humid air - DUH! 

I should add that I also took a Fuji GW690III which was a lot of fun to use.

My plan now is to sell the SL and Panasonic 70-200 as they won't get much use.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 10:45 PM, MarkP said:

...and while we're at it with SL2 pics,  I'm just starting to work through my Antarctica photos from when we were there last month. We were on the Greg Mortimer, the trip before it was riddled with COVID and stranded of Montevedeo. Fortunately no COVID on our trip, we contracted it later...

Wedell Sea, Antarctica
SL2, 24-90

great shot 

and holy crap you were lucky not to be on the later boat, hope you are all well

love to see the 6x9 film photos

Edited by hillavoider

Paris 

SL2 SUM 50mm M f/!.4

Edited by Njom
  • Like 18

4 hours ago, MarkP said:

Thanks. I took an SL and SL2. Although I have an M system this was the right environment for the L-system and zoom lenses.

The SL2 + 24-90 was used the most - I probably could have managed just with this and the 1.4/35 Summilux-M which was very useful as it helps at times to have a small light lens.

I was also very happy with the Panasonic 4.0/70-200 which I bought for the trip - handling, focus and IQ was outstanding. As I don't use long lenses I didn't buy the faster and more expensive,  heavy,  and bulky Leica 80-280 or 2.8/70-200 Panasonic. I have quickly sold off every 80-200 I've previously bought because of  non use. However a longer reach was most useful in Antarctica. I'm not really into photographing the birdlife for which a much longer lens is essential, and one would be better with a Canon or Nikon with superior focus and focus-tracking. I didn't really miss having anything longer but you don't necessarily miss what you've never used.

I tried to use just one camera & lens at a time but frequently took two camera bodies (SL & SL2) with the 24-90 and 70-200.

I brought the fabulous 16-35 but it got surprisingly got little use despite my liking wide angle lenses. I would have to admit that in retrospect I could have managed without it. 

Having the two L-mount bodies was very helpful.  They were frequently drenched for prolonged periods with rain and occasionally sea spray but performed flawlessly. I had plenty of spare batteries but had no problems with battery life.  Occasionally swapped batteries after extended use 

I only once got condensation in the lenses when I forgot to pack the cameras into dry bags when coming back on board - not helped by the zoom action sucking in warm humid air - DUH! 

I should add that I also took a Fuji GW690III which was a lot of fun to use.

My plan now is to sell the SL and Panasonic 70-200 as they won't get much use.

Thank you Mark, I much appreciate the considered and well written feedback. It certainly helps make the decision on the next lens acquisition(s). Looking forward to seeing more pictures from the trip. 

Messing around with AF-C on the SL2

U1010854 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

I was the one moving about, hence the puzzled look on Tai, the cat.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

SL2+SC 35SL ISO 1600 f8 1/500S

• Like 6