Leica SL2 image thread, please post your images here.

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Princeton University Campus

SL2, 35mm APO Summicron-SL

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/16/2020 at 1:09 AM, tritentrue said:

SL2/280mm f/4 APO-Telyt-R . . .

quite amazing macro! Only way to improve sharpness would be focus stacking which is impossible with moving objects. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Schloss Monrepos, Ludwigsburg, Germany

SL2, APO-Summicron-Sl 90

• Like 16

SL2 APO Summicron SL 50 (crop obviously)

• Like 9
  • Haha 10

U1050218 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr SL 90-280@280 f/8

I've been comparing the various options for distant views using long lenses with 47 MPX.  The S1R with Lumix 70-200 /2.8 is remarkably good, but the Leica SL tele 90-280 is still the champ.  I keep each lens on its intended mount in order to get linked IBIS and OIS.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

U1050218 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr SL 90-280@280 f/8

I've been comparing the various options for distant views using long lenses with 47 MPX.  The S1R with Lumix 75-200 /2.8 is remarkably good, but the Leica SL tele 90-280 is still the champ.  I keep each lens on its intended mount in order to get linked IBIS and OIS.

Hi Scott,

Great results from 90-280. I've struggled with the value vs cost vs size vs relative reach vs frequency of use for what is clearly an exceptional lens.

Did you happen to have a chance to compare with recently released Sigma 100-400 for L mount?

Recent photos posted by Michali and others seem to show quite good results.

• Like 1

Haven't tried the Sigma 100-400 and probably won't as I don't have anything in mind that requires more then 200-300mm.  (I leave the critters in peace.)  I did have the Fuji 100-400 OIS lens and a Fuji XT2 (both now sold), and it was not as good at the long end as the -200 and -280 lenses.

19 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

Haven't tried the Sigma 100-400 and probably won't as I don't have anything in mind that requires more then 200-300mm.  (I leave the critters in peace.)  I did have the Fuji 100-400 OIS lens and a Fuji XT2 (both now sold), and it was not as good at the long end as the -200 and -280 lenses.

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully over time we'll see more L mount alliance offerings on the long end of things.

Sigma 100-400mm. I thought this lens was okay. But I will stick with my 90-280 mm. I’ve asked LEICA to make a Apo- extender for the L system

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NicholasT said:

Hi Scott,

Great results from 90-280. I've struggled with the value vs cost vs size vs relative reach vs frequency of use for what is clearly an exceptional lens.

Did you happen to have a chance to compare with recently released Sigma 100-400 for L mount?

Recent photos posted by Michali and others seem to show quite good results.

I have the Leica VE 90-280mm L & recently acquired the Sigma 100-400mm L & I also have the Canon 400mm f4 DO USMll. 

There are often times when I travel on small light aircraft to remote destinations that I'm severely limited with how much weight I can carry. In those instances, either the 90-280mm or the Canon 400mm has to stay behind, hence the reason I bought the Sigma 100-400mm. The price, lighter weight & longer reach of the Sigma make it an attractive option just to have in the bag.

The Sigma doesn't come anywhere near the 90-280mm, but for the price difference you wouldn't expect it to. However the Sigma is worth considering if you don't often use a long lens & can't justify the expense of the 90-280mm.

Out of curiosity I tried these shots this morning,  both unprocessed & straight out of the camera with the Canon 400mm f4 & the Sigma.

The Canon is an exceptional lens, Sigma does OK at closer distances, my cat was approx. 12m away. However I expect that as the subject distance increases the difference will become far more obvious. 

Canon  400mm f4 DO USMll

Sigma 100-400mm L

Edited by michali
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Red Dot Cameras said:

......... I’ve asked LEICA to make a Apo- extender for the L system

Thank you! I really hope they do, the VE90-280mm L is an excellent lens, but generally just too short for birding. This little guy was only about 7m away, image was taken @280mm & cropped to 65% . 

Cape Sparrow (Passer melanurus) with the VE 90-280mm L on a flat grey afternoon. (Please click on the image for better detail). 

Edited by michali
  • Like 12

38 minutes ago, michali said:

I have the Leica VE 90-280mm L & recently acquired the Sigma 100-400mm L & I also have the Canon 400mm f4 DO USMll. 

There are often times when I travel on small light aircraft to remote destinations that I'm severely limited with how much weight I can carry. In those instances, either the 90-280mm or the Canon 400mm has to stay behind, hence the reason I bought the Sigma 100-400mm. For the price, the lighter weight & longer reach of the Sigma make it an attractive option just to have in the bag.

The Sigma doesn't come anywhere near the 90-280mm, but for the price difference you wouldn't expect it to. However the Sigma is worth considering if you don't often use a long lens & can't justify the expense of the 90-280mm.

Out of curiosity I tried these shots this morning,  both unprocessed & straight out of the camera with the Canon 400mm f4 & the Sigma.

The Canon is an exceptional lens, Sigma does OK at closer distances, my cat was approx. 12m away. However I expect that as the subject distance increases the difference will become far more obvious. 

Canon  400mm f4 DO USMll

Sigma 100-400mm L

Thanks for this comparison! Images with the Sigma 100-400 at short distances, likely 10ish m or less, have impressed me. Otherwise I guess you get what you pay for (although Leica are priced over the top, but this is how it is). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Red Dot Cameras said:

Many thanks for posting these image comparisons. Also very pleased to learn about your request to Leica for APO extender.

The 90-280 is such a high quality lens that one would have to assume that results with APO extender should be excellent. A 1.4x extender could change the cost / value / weight analysis for many photographers (present company included).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, michali said:

There are often times when I travel on small light aircraft to remote destinations that I'm severely limited with how much weight I can carry. In those instances, either the 90-280mm or the Canon 400mm has to stay behind, hence the reason I bought the Sigma 100-400mm. The price, lighter weight & longer reach of the Sigma make it an attractive option just to have in the bag.

Canon  400mm f4 DO USMll

Sigma 100-400mm L

Thanks for sharing. 

As you stated for the price point (and weight differential) the Sigma does a pretty nice job.

Needless to say the Canon sets a pretty high bar. Should Leica release an APO extender for 90-280 would be interesting to see how 90-280 would compare to the Canon 400mm F4. Based on your various posts guessing it would be a close contest.

• Like 1