Leica SL2 image thread, please post your images here.

jaapv

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, helged said:

Blue tit [Cyanistes caeruleus] approaching the runway ^_^... SL2+SL24-90+SF-C1 flash trigger+Nissin MG10 flashes.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

A great reminder that using flash under the right circumstances can produce great results and make the impossible...possible.

Also backgrounds play a important and yet unpredictable role in wildlife photography ( usually hard to control). In this instance the background further enhances the image.

This image deserves physical print treatment :)

Wonderful photo !!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

U1050161 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

U1050173 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

two very different uses for my R 180/2.8

• Like 7

I was photographing a Bee in my garden & ended up with an African Masked Weaver (Ploceus velatus) in the shot, maybe it was the other way around....

SL2 & Sigma 100-400mm L & Sigma 1.4X TC 

• Like 17

1 hour ago, michali said:

I was photographing a Bee in my garden & ended up with an African Masked Weaver (Ploceus velatus) in the shot, maybe it was the other way around....

SL2 & Sigma 100-400mm L & Sigma 1.4X TC 

That's a very nice result from the Sigma 100-400 L with little or no appreciable degradation from 1.4X TC. Imagine it must look even better on your monitor :)

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another blue tit, now with a mix of afternoon light and flash(es).SL2+SL24-90+SF-C1 flash trigger+Nissin MG10 flashes.

• Like 18

3 hours ago, NicholasT said:

That's a very nice result from the Sigma 100-400 L with little or no appreciable degradation from 1.4X TC. Imagine it must look even better on your monitor :)

Thanks Nicholas. Sigma sent me a 100-400mm L lens to try out. As I've previously mentioned this lens punches way above its weight, it's impressive for what it is. 

It's obviously not in the class of the Vario Elmar 90-280  L which I have, as well as the Canon 400mm f4 USM DO II which is in a league of its own. 

However the Sigma for its price, portability / weight & longer reach, is a viable alternative when you don't want to lug a heavier lens around. AF is fast, accurate & silent. The Sigma rep. tells me that this lens was redesigned from scratch for full frame mirrorless. I really look forward to & hope that Sigma produce a 400mm or 500m telephoto lens in native L mount.

I've decided to keep the lens, so I also picked up a Sigma 1.4X TC, there's no noticeable image degradation.

Here's another image of the Masked Weaver, 100-400mm & 1.4X TC- no PP other than conversion from DNG to Jpeg & size reduction. Late afternoon light was superb today... (Click through the image a couple of times to get better res.).

Edited by michali
Click through
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, helged said:

Another blue tit, now with a mix of afternoon light and flash(es).SL2+SL24-90+SF-C1 flash trigger+Nissin MG10 flashes.

Helge, this is a wonderful image!

• Thanks 1

vor 43 Minuten schrieb helged:

Beautiful! It looks like a collage.
Did you prefocus manually or was it with AF?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ruskkyle said:

I’m intrigued by what’s going on in the background. Why are the cars mirrored?

This is the original & I wanted to cut out the man on the left.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, helged said:

helged,

Great shot! You’ve successfully filled in light on the subject helping to freeze the subject in clear focus and pop it over the scenic background that you’ve managed to keep it in lower exposure.

Did you prefocusd or utilised the AFC of the camera to nail focus?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, michali said:

Helge, this is a wonderful image!

10 hours ago, verwackelt said:

Beautiful! It looks like a collage.
Did you prefocus manually or was it with AF?

5 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

helged,

Great shot! You’ve successfully filled in light on the subject helping to freeze the subject in clear focus and pop it over the scenic background that you’ve managed to keep it in lower exposure.

Did you prefocusd or utilised the AFC of the camera to nail focus?

Thanks folks! And particularly to @sillbeers15 pointing me to Nissin MG10 (through a flash thread in this forum) 1+ year ago...

The setup is rather odd, at least for me... Shutter, aperture, ISO, focus are all preset, so fully manual setup. Everything is put on tripod, close to a bird feeder. I have an idea of possible end results, but never knows what will end onto the memory card. It's simply impossible for me to control when photos are to be taken, we are talking of fractions of a second; the birds move fast. I therefore use an infrared light trap: the eltima Joker2 https://eltima.de/light-barrier-system-joker2/lichtschrankensystem-joker.html (highly recommended!). The latter, with Panasonic cable plus a 2.5mm to 3.5mm TRRS adapter plug, make it fully operational on SL2, see link below for one of many possible adapter plugs. I then arrange the light trap and the camera so images are taken - hopefully - at the predefined focus point. In order to increase the number of hits, the aperture is set to 10-13 or thereabout, and I use rather wide angle, say 24-50mm. In order to capture the birds without too much movements, I set the flashes to the lowest output in manual mode (flash duration should be shirter than 1/2000 sec). I use three MG10s, sometimes with the Leica SF60, everything controlled by SF-C1. After establishing the rig, its only to wait, occationally checking that there is juice in the batteries (the SL2-batteries are too small, so I may have to used 2-3 batteries in one session). The majority of the photos are boring, but some are interesting. I may sit down to do a writeup of the full procedure, since I believe this is a little outside of what most people do...

I also use S3 with this setup.

I have contacted Leica regarding using 3rd party remote control(s), but they do not support this. So bear in mind that what you do is on your own risk. I may understand Leica, but I also think that the grear is made to be used, so therefore I do use SL2, S3 as describe above...

• Like 4

18 hours ago, helged said:

Thanks folks! And particularly to @sillbeers15 pointing me to Nissin MG10 (through a flash thread in this forum) 1+ year ago...

The setup is rather odd, at least for me... Shutter, aperture, ISO, focus are all preset, so fully manual setup. Everything is put on tripod, close to a bird feeder. I have an idea of possible end results, but never knows what will end onto the memory card. It's simply impossible for me to control when photos are to be taken, we are talking of fractions of a second; the birds move fast. I therefore use an infrared light trap: the eltima Joker2 https://eltima.de/light-barrier-system-joker2/lichtschrankensystem-joker.html (highly recommended!). The latter, with Panasonic cable plus a 2.5mm to 3.5mm TRRS adapter plug, make it fully operational on SL2, see link below for one of many possible adapter plugs. I then arrange the light trap and the camera so images are taken - hopefully - at the predefined focus point. In order to increase the number of hits, the aperture is set to 10-13 or thereabout, and I use rather wide angle, say 24-50mm. In order to capture the birds without too much movements, I set the flashes to the lowest output in manual mode (flash duration should be shirter than 1/2000 sec). I use three MG10s, sometimes with the Leica SF60, everything controlled by SF-C1. After establishing the rig, its only to wait, occationally checking that there is juice in the batteries (the SL2-batteries are too small, so I may have to used 2-3 batteries in one session). The majority of the photos are boring, but some are interesting. I may sit down to do a writeup of the full procedure, since I believe this is a little outside of what most people do...

I also use S3 with this setup.

I have contacted Leica regarding using 3rd party remote control(s), but they do not support this. So bear in mind that what you do is on your own risk. I may understand Leica, but I also think that the grear is made to be used, so therefore I do use SL2, S3 as describe above...

I have been toying the idea of using fill light on my BIF shots but have not came across the right opportunity. I’m glad you bit me to it. Instead I my last successful shot of the stork billed kingfisher in flight, I took advantage of the late afternoon sun as my fill light and had to try 5 attempts on 5 occasions to finally land with the shot I had envisioned.

• Like 1

SL2 with Zeiss Otus 

• Like 11